Help! Puppy has been barking every night for weeks! I am at my wits end.

I have read all the past posts about crate training. Everyone does it a bit differently. My head is spinning. Here is my problem......I got Daisy when she was 17 weeks. She is now 20 weeks. She HAS to sleep in a crate at night and must be in a crate if I leave during the day. She throws such tantrums I am afraid she is going to hurt herself. This goes on for HOURS. And i mean all night long! We ignore it. We use ear plugs so we do not give in but we can still hear her. We are exhausted.

During the day.....she is so good and so precious. I work from home, so she generally sits at my feet all day. She is mostly house trained (I say that with caution as I make sure to take her out every 3 to 4 hours). I love her so much but her night time behavior has me regretting getting a puppy.

Please help. I have gone 2 weeks without sleep.post-14240-0-03366900-1366196956_thumb.j

First you have a beautiful puppy there. Now here's a trick that our experienced members told a bunch of us about how to stop barking. Get a soda can and put about 16 pennies in it and tape the top. When she starts barking, shake the can and then give the command "no bark". Do each time she starts and you will soon see that the barking will stop.

Edited by GMA
  • Like 3
missy dawn

Thank you. I will try this tonight! Wish me luck:)

this works miracles!

sheila-(shih tzu dreamer) :cloud9:

• Like 1

this works miracles!

sheila-(shih tzu dreamer) :cloud9:

Sheila, show her the picture of yours (I was not as creative LOL just used a plain pepsi can)
missy dawn

EE50A820-169E-4EC2-91F1-11C587F072DE-946

This is what i came up with cause hubby didnt want them scared of a coke or pepsi can. Lol

• Like 2
oOShih Tzu LoveOo

Yep, a can filled with pennies work's every time! Also, have you made her crate into a "positive place"? When I house train, I sit on the floor with the puppy and throw treat's in so the puppy will go in and get them. Then you start closing the door and continue to give treat's. I repeat this a few time's everyday until they go in without being "bribed". This make's them associate the crate with positive thing's.

• Like 2

Well I just went out and bought a can of coke. I have a funny story about the treats in the crate.......I have tried this. Now she stock piles them overnight while she is barking. In the morning, after I let her out, she willingly goes in to get her treats! She isn't afraid of her crate and goes in several times a day to see if I have left any surprises in there for her:)

oOShih Tzu LoveOo

Well I just went out and bought a can of coke. I have a funny story about the treats in the crate.......I have tried this. Now she stock piles them overnight while she is barking. In the morning, after I let her out, she willingly goes in to get her treats! She isn't afraid of her crate and goes in several times a day to see if I have left any surprises in there for her:)

It's not about being afraid of it, it's trying to get them to see it as a positive place so they don't whine and bark at night :).

• Like 1

Thank you everyone! Hopefully tonight will go better. I will continue to work on making her crate an inviting place to go as well.

If just shaking the can doesn't work, you can toss it ONTO the crate. Just as it makes contact, say "NO!" firmly. "Back in the day", I could accurately hit a crate with a can from 30 feet...in the dark. Works like magic, which is why Sheila dubbed it "The Magic Can" lol!

• Like 1
JRMMJONES

Presley didn't respond to the can, BUT... she did respond to canned air. The HISS of it distracted her and she would hush. I discovered this after using the canned air for her biting. She no longer barks... at all. Unless my busband is being a moron and playing chase the dog with the rubber chicken she wants.

Or... you could be like most of us and welcome them into your bed. We always have at least 3 with us. They just want to be with you.

• Like 4
HelloTina

Is the create where you sleep? I heard it's best to have it where you sleep. Sometimes it helps to cover it with a blanket too.

DalilasMom

Dalila has slept with us every night since she came home. We recently started making her sleep in the crate because she peed in our bed because we didnt take her out before going to bed.(I would call her back into bed if she jumped down to keep her from wetting the carpet. It backfired. lol) So, we went through the whole barking all night thing too. Thus, this is a good thread. I'm going to try this.