Looking for a purebred male Shih Tzu

DalilasMom

My husband and our Dalila are looking for a mate for Dalila. She is 2 and has never had a bf. We would like to add a male to our family. We live in the Clear Lake, Texas area. We prefer a dog that only barks when someone knocks at the door if at all. No yappers. Preferably house broken.

oOShih Tzu LoveOo

There aren't any puppies or dog's on here for sale, this is just a Shih Tzu forum. A dog is only a "yapper" if it isn't trained well. Is your female spayed? If not, I would highly suggest doing so before bringing in a male.

As for finding a Shih Tzu, contact the Shih Tzu Club Of America and get a list of reputable Breeder's. Breeder's often have "retired" adult dog's that they let go to their forever home's, sold on a spay/neuter contract.

Are you looking to get a male to breed?

Good luck!

Edited by oOShih Tzu LoveOo
  • Like 2
oOShih Tzu LoveOo

Just noticed this is posted in the rescue section, if you are looking to adopt, good for you!! :) Check Petfinder.com or go to Google and type in Shih Tzu rescue and your area!

DalilasMom

Thanks so much! I was thinking about rescuing but after reading in your link i discovered that they are all neutered. i am wanting to breed Dalila eventually so that wouldnt work unless i am just getting another female or something. I have a groomer that will know a good breeder.

oOShih Tzu LoveOo

Please don't breed unless it is to better the breed. The parent's need to be shown (and finished) and health tested before breeding. I thought about breeding, too, but decided against it since I'm not ready to show dog's. There are far too many dog's homeless and put down EVERYDAY to be bringing more poorly bred dog's into the world.

If you truly want to breed here are some great link's about breeding:

http://classic.akc.org/breeders/resp_breeding/Articles/breeder.cfm

http://www.jlhweb.net/Boxermap/reputablebreeder.html

http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/breedercomparison.htm

As easy as it sound's, you don't just put two dog's together and let them have puppies. There is a lot of time, money and heartache involved. Dog's often lose puppies, can you handle that? What about if you can't find homes for all of them, what will you do with them? And if the new owner's can't keep him/her, will you take him back?

• Like 1
Marlen

Starting your own breeding program, properly caring for both dogs and their puppies can be haaard work! True, you can find the breeders but don't most of them make you sign legal papers about neutering/spaying? And let me tell you how I totally agree with them. Imagine what would happen if one day some people decided to start breeding their doggies without having the proper knowledge of how to do it...Either way, I'm sure the links our members provided are quite helpful! Wish we had a shih tzu rescue where I live :( Too bad the trip to America is sooo looong and expensive(for me) :D I would never-ever use Misha as a stud, even though I wouldn't have to go through the whole birth-puppy raising period. It would be quite irresponsible of me ^_^

Edited by Marlen

You should not be breeding.

• Like 1

I know there is a show breeder in the Houston,Texas area (not far from where you are) who had 2 litters in Feb. I think she had three planned. Both parents of the first two litters were champions. The Sire is a ROM (register of merit- a title given after having produced a certain number of champions). He is also from one of the top lines. You can see the sire "Looker" here http://www.wenrick.ca/looker.htm

If you want a puppy to breed it will probably be on a show contract and very expensive. She also screens homes she places her puppies with.

(PM/email me if you want her name/phone)

Edited by chrdso
Sunlite

This board is not about buying dogs, especially for breeding, but to share your pet experiences and enhancing the breed. I know that you are new to Shih Tzu, and admire that you want to explore future endeavors in bettering the breed and breeding, but I strongly recommend that you do some important homework first. It is important that you understand all aspects of what is involved, including the risks that you take in losing your bitch during pregnancy or whelping....

You have received excellant advice from all, I really recommend that you don't breed till you educate yourself further, and I will now close this topic,

Thanks for understanding! :)

• Like 2