Crating during the day

I have only had Marley for 5 days now -- she is almost 9 weeks.
She goes into her crate at night around 11/12 and whines for maybe 2 mins then sleeps until 6am.
She hasn't had 1 accident in her crate or in the house as I am home with her all day and if I am not she comes with me. I am on it! lol...I take her out often during the day.

Well Wednesday I can't take her with me and I have to head out. I live in the country so town for me is a good 30-40 min drive so just over an hour in travel time alone.
She seems to sleep a lot in the afternoon anyway but I am wondering how I ease her into the crate during the day. My plan is since tomorrow I am home I will just pop her in her crate around noon after she has been played with and fed and see how long she lasts -- is that a good method or is there a better way to get her use to the crate during the day when no one is home.

I have put her toys and food in there so she has no issues going in and since night #1 she has been crated. She is always up at 6am so I know for sure she is going 6 hours at least without messing. I don't expect to be gone that long and obviously won't hear her crying but I don't want to traumatize her or cause potty issues.

Just want to do what is best for her <3

DH and I work during the day and we have to crate Bosco or our house would be in total chaos. I tried to use an exercise pen but the little bugger managed to jump over I(after he tried to push it out the room) LOL So in came the crate. He was a little hesitant at first but now he goes in with no fuss. He has a couple of his squeaker and chew toys with him and just waits for us to come home. No accidents in the crate because its just the right size for him.

Luna

What you are planning will be fine: just pop her in and let her be. Ours are used to being crated when we're not home from the time they are babies because I firmly believe that a dog that isn't supervised will either sleep or get into trouble so I don't give them a choice, lol.

Sorry for all the questions -- I am just wondering if I should just ignore or what?
Like if I put her in around 11 or 12 and she starts at 2pm do I take her out for a pee then put her back in?
If I was gone obviously I wouldn't hear here and she would eventually give up.

Or should I just enjoy today with her out and wing it tomorrow?

Is it better to show her it is ok while we are here or just pop her in and go tomorrow and assume she will be fine because she knows her crate and already sleeps in it at night.
Honestly not sure I could handle her crying while we are here doing nothing..lol

Marlen

I'm having some whining and barking with Jolie but she's getting better. Her breeder left her free to roam without crating her ever. So, when I get back, she barks. I let her get quiet before I take her out. Or else she'll learn that barking means I get out. ^_^ puppies that age can hold their bladder for 6hours but Jolie can hold it for close to 9,she doesn't like eliminating in her crate/park.

Well we are 1 hour in!

10:06 - yelping :(

Yelped for 10 mins waited for a break and went in told her lay down, your ok and left the room

10:16 commence yelping -- feels like she has been whining for hours!!

10:19 - quiet!!

11am a few whimpers as my daughter was having a tantrum! But Marley settled back down

We are trying to pretend we aren't home! Mostly for me so I can enjoy lunch out with my mom tomorrow without worrying about the puppy! I know she is a trooper my Marley <3

Marlen

Well, Jolie can go whining for several minutes not just ten. I don't pretend I'm not home, I pretend that the dog doesn't exist. I expect her to be quiet, not me stepping on my toes and not making a sound. The dog has to adjust to my schedule not the other way around. But that's what I do.

Well when I am home she is out -- I only want her crated when we are away and at night.
My previous shih tzu was never crated -- well never taught properly as we tried to crate him a few times and he scratched so hard he broke a nail :( Gizmoe had full run of the house and never bothered with anything or made a mess.

Would it be easier if she was crated when we are business as usual?

I guess I just wanted to see what she would do if we weren't here as opposed to what she does when she see's us and knows we are there.
Like if she knows we are here and can see us she may look for more attention --- if we "aren't home" then she doesn't see or hear as and may settle easier.

I know she can hold for 6+ hours at night but not sure if it's the same during the day or not.

I am not so sure why I am so worried about leaving her tomorrow!

I plan to be gone about 4 hours tomorrow and today she was in for 2 hours before she started to whine. I didn't want to leave her because she didn't eat much this morning and I figured she was hungry -- which I think I was right because she is happily eating now ( in her crate :wink:) and will pop her back in around 2 again or earlier if she gets super sleepy.

Luna

She'll be fine. Ours are generally out when someone is home, but it is NOT unheard-of for me to pop them all into their pens when I need to mop the floor or something and DON'T want them underfoot.

Thank again -- I just worry about popping her in before I leave then coming back after 4 hours and have her a mess!! I don't want her to be traumatized.
I feel silly worrying but she is my tiny furbaby and she is still so new <3

mom2emmy

My guys been crated at night or when we aren't home or are home but unable to watch him properly/closely. Or if I need to be downstairs and he wants to come down too. Our cat is downstairs and while they dearly love each other, our cat was diagnosed with some urinary troubles (again!) the other day so he's super termpermental and the dog just loves the play and doesn't understand the cat needs a break. So if I am downstairs working, he comes down but goes in his crate. otherwise, a normal day, he is out of his crate from 9am-8:30pm. The crates been a godsend because on his own oh man the trouble he can get into!

Well she is still doing amazing in her crate at night. Last night I put her in around midnight and didn't hear a peep! *I* actually woke up to my alarm for the first time since she came home. I peeked in at her and she was just sitting there waiting <3

I still haven't left the house with her in the crate but I have a party Wednesday and have no choice. The party is at 10am so I have to leave here at around 9am not leaving her much time out in the morning :(

I think she does so well at night and it shouldn't be awful but I know she won't like it. Once we have to do it a few times I am sure it will be ok but she is so tiny I hate leaving her all alone.

Am I crazy for worrying so much!? probably..lol

Marlen

Crazy, not. It's natural for us to worry. I actually can and do forget about Jolie because I have to focus on my studies. Don't worry so much though :P It's just that she's not used to being crated and you're not used to crating her during the day that worries you. Jolie stays (which I personally hate that's why I had thought of rehoming her, that and her crying) 8 to 9 hours crated. If she's gotten used to it, don't worry about your girl. Misha is the only privileged dog in my house, he's absolutely free to roam since he's potty trained.

I think that is my issue Gizmoe was never really crated -- we tried, he hated it so we gave up but when we saw how amazing our Boxer's did with crate training (NOT in the beginning but after like a year..lol) we knew we had to try. I can just rattle treats and say kennel for treats and my boxer will dive into her crate! I want that for Marley too but she is so teeny tiny and I just want to squish her all day...lol.

It has to happen so it will :( The good news is we will both me super excited when I get home!!

Marlen

Super excited, well, I don't think that's good. That way you can create separation anxiety or at least stress. When you get back, ignore her for 5-10 minutes, act normally and without saying much, let her out once she's calm. Excitement can lead to stress. I had a cocker spaniel that had separation anxiety. When we had gotten him, we were staying at home for 1 and a half month, he was never alone and when we got back we would say "Wow Sunny, what a good boy" and we'd act super excited for several minutes. He started whining, then barking and etc. But then again, that's my advice and I could be wrong. However, I strongly believe that dogs have to sense that crating is not such a big deal and it's normal for them to be crated. ^_^

• Like 1