bengietheshihtzu

Hi! I have recently moved out on my own and plan to pick up my dog from my roommates tomorrow to bring him to my new condo. I am however concerned with how he will adjust to the new home. He has been used to being around other people and dogs during the day (for the past 6 years) and will be on his own while I'm working during the day now. I have bought him new toys, bed, pee pads and also plan to use a dog gate to keep him in the kitchen area while he adjusts to being home by himself. I also plan to leave him a kong and leave a radio on before going to work each morning.

Is there any other things I can do for him? I plan to hang out with him for most of the day tomorrow and will probably leave the house briefly a few times to see how he does. My main concern is that in the past he some times will howl/cry when left alone. I don't want to upset my new neighbors already :).

My former roommate has offered to take him in if things don't work out but I prefer not to go that route.

Edited by bengietheshihtzu

All the preparations you have made are good ones, and I applaud your decision to leave him alone for a while and see how he responds. NOTHING (other than loud parties that go on until 3 am) will aggravate neighbors more than a dog barking and howling all day while the owner is at work and I have known more than one person to be evicted for breaking noise covenants in an apartment or condo community.

This may not be do-able, but have you considered a second Shih Tzu? They tend to keep one-another company very well and you would probably not have to worry about separation anxiety in your current dog if he had a buddy.

Marlen

Hm, good decision on leaving him alone for short periods of time. Separation anxiety is my worst fear ever! So, I would also suggest that you bring one-two things from your old house that belonged to the dog along with the new ones . We're talking about a complete change of environment and depending on the dog's character, he'll react accordingly. If he's easy-going don't worry so much. If he's anxious, be prepared for quite a few short trips . Leave for 5 minutes-10 and then back for two hours and then leave -come back and so on. It's the best way. Also, try not to tell him anything, or get him focused on you. For example "What a good boy you are, stay...That's right stay there and I'm going to come back, and we're going to go out etc ...." you got the point. The dog focuses on you, then you leave and he searches for you. Leaving him a Kong is probably the best or a treat ball (the one that you out kibble or dog biscuits inside).

bengietheshihtzu

Thanks for the input and replies. He seems to be doing well. When I left yesterday I did wait at the door and heard him bark a few times but seemed to settle down quickly. This morning I only heard one bark. I did decide not to gate him in the kitchen for now. He seemed to find a nice spot on the sofa where he can look out the window so I decided to let him have access to that spot for now.