Crate training a puppy while at work

Marley'sMom

A family who is interested in adopting one of our puppies, filled out our questionnaire. They indicated they would be crate training, and that they have house trained a puppy before. Probably the golden reliever that they still have. However, when asked how many hours the puppy would be alone each day, the answer was about five hours. Is it possible to crate train a 10-12 week old puppy when you are gone for five hours? They can only hold their bladder for- what is it - 1 hour per month of age? That would only be maybe three hours.

What suggestions would you have that I could discuss with this prospective new owner?

The pups will be pee pad trained until they go home to their new families.

Marlen

Well, I'm going to speak from my experience with Jolie, she was 8 weeks old when we brought her home. True, she's not exactly crate trained but it's the same principal, she stays in her park as if she's crated, only there's a lot more space than a crate. Don't know how the situation will be with your puppies but Jolie could go for 8-9 hours without peeing or pooping. We had to leave for work/university and she was crated with water, food, toys and when we came back she hadn't soiled anywhere. So, yes, I believe that 5 hours are ok. Especially since the puppies are going to be 10-12 weeks old (when Jolie was 8) :D

5 hours is not unreasonable. Most 12 week-old puppies should be able to handle that.

Marley'sMom

Really? Okay. Why do I feel like I keep reading about them not being able to hold it for more than 1 hour per month of age? I feel so confused.

Marlen

Wow...That means 2 hours for a two months old puppy? Well, I don't know if that's true with some dogs/breeds but it doesn't sound right to me.

Any time you see a chart like that you need to take it with a large grain of salt: they are more a guideline than anything else, much like the feeding charts on a bag of dog food. I've had puppies that could "hold it" seemingly forever from a young age and others who seemed to need to "go" much more often, and I expect it is related to the time it takes the urinary sphincter to mature.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a new product out for people who have to leave their pups in a crate. It's called the Puppy Apartment. A bed on one side, a doorway in the middle to the bathroom with a pee pad in the bottom. They are a bit pricey but it's worth every penny. I had great success with it. I think a pen is necessary to use with this setup during the day. At night, I put her apartment up on the dresser so she could see me. A few minutes of whining but that didn't last long a week at the most. I housetrained two dogs the old crate way but I find this way more humane. It's just a liter box for dogs. My Poppy is almost a year and she still uses the pee pad I have on the plastic bottom every time. No need for the crate now. Just a suggestion. A great alternative. Just google Puppy Apartment. Youtube also has reviews and demos on it.

post-8819-0-02077900-1358289317_thumb.jp
Edited by LynnT
Marlen

Oh my goodness, so cute! :dede: