Ready for Puppy Class!

Vicky & Pebbles

Pebbles and I had a puppy consultation on Thursday and I was surprised at how much she listened to the trainer... Of course she's so much stubborn with me but that's why we are going to class.

I taught her how to sit the second day she was here but we have a long road ahead.

Tonight we were practicing impulse control with "leave it". Attached is a picture of Pebbles with a big piece of chicken in front of her. She did really good!

I'm so looking forward to tomorrow and our group puppy class!

post-42383-0-67330800-1380344386_thumb.j

Starting early is always the best choice! :D Good for you both, attending a training class is essential. And Pebbles seems to be a smart girl ;)

Like Markella said starting early makes all the difference. They seem to listen so much better later on.

Pebbles has such pretty colors- her eyes too. She has a different look more on the Tibetan Spaniel side? I could be mistaken and it could be the angle of the picture. But if not, I have read that they are very smart. You will know for sure if she does not develop an undercoat and the face hair /coat does not grow long. Much less grooming and I think that's a positive. Tzu sweetness and much less maintenance.

I'm wondering if Tzu's with longer muzzles are smarter. My puppy has a bit of a muzzle too (not completely flat faced) and is much smarter than my previous Tzu. Guess it depends on how the genes combine....more of the smarter ancestor in the evolution process.

Another thought - the undercoat causes all the matting. If one had no intention of showing then a single silky coat would be so much easier to maintain. Maybe a new breed some day....

Edited by chrdso
Scout's Mom

Yay for Pebbles! I have puppy class with Scout today. We will be covering "leave it" and "down"! :)

Vicky & Pebbles

She did great! She's the smallest puppy in the class and she had to be watched very carefully because they were a couple of larger clumsy pups but I situated myself between two schnauzers and she felt comfortable there.

I feel it's important to start early and even thought the Internet is a great resource, I feel I'm the one that needs the class more than she does.

One thing I'm not trilled about is that the trainer talks a lot about daycare (guess trying to get more business) but that's not an option for us because the training school is too far away and closes when I get off work.

Still, I think some exposure to other dogs is better than none if I was t taking her to puppy class.

Chrdso: as far as I know Pebbles is full Shih tzu. Her AKC papers haven't arrived but I saw her parents and they both had long coats. Her eyes and nose are lighter because she's a liver. My brother in law trimmed her hair before shipping her to me and it will take a decade to grow but It definitely makes grooming easy!

I'm no shih tzu expert so I can't tell if they muzzle is different( pic from the side attached) I still find her to have the sweetest face :)

post-42383-0-64505300-1380400456_thumb.j

She does have very pretty colors and the sweetest face. I did notice she was liver and so the lighter eyes. Guess the first picture was just the angle of the camera and her trimmed hair. I have read that even full Shih Tzu parents can sometimes have a puppy that has a different look as it grows- goes back to the breeds they mixed in long ago as the Shih Tzu was evolving (more seen in Lhasa litters but also in Tzu).

Regarding muzzle, I know mine is "muzzly" - guess more than the usual Tzu. That's what a very good breeder told me. He is still to breed standards but not as flat faced. Well, he does not snore like my previous Tzu - lol - so there's always a positive.

Edited by chrdso

How cute! Thanks for posting the pic, I melted on the spot. I sooooo wanted to kiss that sweet face of hers lol Hm, Jolie doesn't count for having a longer snout because she's a mix. But somehow, I'm glad because she's so smart :)

Vicky & Pebbles

Awes! Thanks Marlene! If we saw you out and about you would definitely get cuddles and kisses from Pebbles, she enjoys new people!

Being so tiny many people "melt on the spot" and want to pet her And hold her. I happily turn her over for cuddles to everyone who wants to because I want her to be exposed to as many people as possible.

I downloaded an pet age app yesterday and realized how much time I think has passed since she got here when it's only been 17 days.

Jolie is a little cutie And that nose to nose pic with Misha is adorable! Seems you got the best of both breeds and I'm sure her coat is a dream!

Hm, her coat is a little bit of both, it's soooo soft and shiny but it does matt if you don't have the right comb (which I'm still searching for). Exposing a puppy to new elements and people is essential. However, when I found out about Jolie's yorkie genes, I realized that I didn't do anything wrong with socializing her but she's a bit shy and doesn't like strangers from the beginning. But, whenever she sees those that I feel most close to, she can sense it. That's why it's essential to know your dog's "heritage".