I think we need to start over…but where do we start?

2 better than 1

Our 3-year-old female still goes in the house when we are gone. We put both dogs out before leaving and some times she goes, other times she won't. The second we leave she will go up to the kitchen and go. We have literally left, forgotten something, and come back inside and she has already gone. Pretty sure she does it on purpose because she is mad we are leaving. We do kennel her some times, but I feel bad because we leave the other dog out. Suggestions? Tricks? I love her to bits, but she's so naughty!!!!!

Well, I'd suggest for you to crate her, don't think of it as a punishment just because your other dog is allowed to roam free. I'm 99 % sure she has "separation anxiety". It's actually quite common for dogs that experience separation anxiety to eliminate in the house, even if you leave for 2 minutes. So you're not facing a problem where your dog is not potty trained. I need to clarify that because potty issues vs behavioral issues are very-very different. If you do an online search you'll find the signs. See if any of them match her behavior when you leave. Either way, my solution remains the same --> the crate! yep it's pretty amazing as many of us know and pretty handy too. If you properly "re-introduce" her to the crate I bet she'll do better. Crate her for short periods of time, reward her for spending time in there. if the crate allows it (if it's spacious enough), give her a long-lasting treat such as a kong etc. The point is for her to realise that the crate is not something bad. Don't immediately start crating her when you leave because she'll associate the crate with your absence and she won't like being crated.This needs patience and even if your toher dog is potty trained, you can still crate her/him too. We're the only ones feeling bad about the crate, dogs that are used to it actually sense it as a "home" and they like spending time in there because they have their own space where they can calm down and sleep.

Edited by Marlen
  • Like 2

I totally agree with Markella. When we got Bosco he was not crate trained and would leave little presents everywhere, especially when we left. I got a crate and started leaving him in there for short times (most of the time coxing him in). Eventually he got the idea that we do return and he started going in upon command. Now when he goes in the house it's on his pad that we set up for rainy/snowy days. On dry days he has 3 favorite spots in the yard he goes to potty. Most days when we are home, he will go in his crate just to lay down or chew on his bone. So as Markella says, do not feel bad about crating. It is a necessary tool in training a well balanced furbaby.

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

Like the others I agree with the crate. Just leave it out and wee her to it that way she won't look at it as a form of punishment. I used crates when I just had 3 paws but with 7........... I have a mud room and laundry room and I have gates that I use confine them to those rooms and lay down pads. Sometimes they use the pads but most of them time they are dry when I get home. The crate is a great tool.