Ratatouille: The cooking movie...with rats!

gogoblender

gogoblender

If the idea of spending hours in your kitchen chopping, pressing, organizing, spicing, measuring and mixing brings a smile to your eyes, Pixar's new movie, Ratatouille is something to relish. It's depiction of a crowded and very busy Paris kitchen is brilliant. Mouth-watering shots of food, that even while animated, will pluck out your oooohs. The brainchild of this new venture is none other than the one who spearheaded The Incredibles...another one of my favorites.

This movie will take you right into the heart of what it's like to cook under pressure, while meeting up with our endearing, spatula-wielding, high-toqued heroes. All of them griping about their woes, their dreams, and their concerned futures as cooks . The shiny reflections off of hanging copper pots, the steam of sauces melting, the hustle the bustle...all there in glorious cartoon and all there to draw you in while inspiring us with the hard work that a good restaurant will put into presenting that small and often too-tiny, over-priced plate adorned with brilliant touches of color and flavor.

Peter O'toole is brilliant as the consummate and snobby, restaurant chef...just his voice work in the film is reason enough to see it.

The title of this movie, Ratatouille, is actually a dish that comes from France. I never knew how difficult it is to make and how time-consuming. Served hot or as a cold pickle upon the plate, it reminds me slightly of an eggplant dish that my family makes, curried of course. The soaking, the marination, all the different steps needed...funny how almost like dishes can come from places so far apart in the world.

After seeing this movie, I just had to look up the word, and found this amazing short movie on how to make Ratatouille. Check out the narrator's sexy brit voice, she definitely adds to the classiness of this movie-short and could perhaps inspire some of us to perhaps even attempt this dish.

Here's the link to the short-movie on how to make this very complicated dish:

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-ratatouille

And hoping that some of you other food critics out there will get a chance to check out Pixar's release.

Bon Apetit

:tracy:

gogo

Sunlite

Hey Gogo, great post! I have not seen the movie yet but do want to, Just haven't gotten around to it, might have to wait for DVD. I love Ratatouille and I do make it, just a little different then that recipe. I use all olive oil, don't deep fry, especially the eggplant as it soaks up oil like a sponge. I also use less salt, sea salt to be exact and add garlic and a touch of brown sugar. I love it!

ShihtzuBeauty

I've not seen it yet by my sister did and she and the kids Loved it. :tracy:

gogoblender

My gosh...lol, there's actually peeps in real life that make this dish? Awesome! Sunlite, who did you learn it from...your parents? My aunt does the whole deep fry thing, adds onions and almost everything in that video...but it comes out curried, lol!

It's not something she does often, and is rare...and mostly for when family get togethers are happening. It's served hot when it's made, then served cold where the flavors intensify and it becomes even more delicious. Sunlite, never knew you were such a cook!

Shih Tzu beauty, this movie is something that's gotta be seen to be believed. It makes cooking sing and encourages us all, yes even rats, to be brave.

:tracy:

gogo

Sunlite

Hmm, curried? Sounds delicious! :tracy: I love curry!

I do like to cook but I don't bake, never got into making cookies and such. :(

It's a very cute movie, I went and saw it with my nieces.

Tammy