Thanksgiving Dinner

ShihtzuBeauty

ShihtzuBeauty

Just thought I would ask what everyone usually has for dinner? In my family we go all out and we have our usual dishes. Sometimes though we'll throw in a couple of new ones. It's the same for Christmas although there are a couple of things I make for Thanksgiving that I don't do for Christmas.

One of my Favorite recipies for Thanksgiving dinner is Mashed Sweet Potato Casserole. This dish is soo sweet and yummy! Since it's my fav. I'll add the recipie for it. We also have, ofcourse, the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes/turkey gravy, cabbage casserole, corn casserole, chicken/noodles, green bean casserole.

We also have the appetizers and usually it's a veggie tray and a meat/cheese tray. We also have a ton of desserts. Pumpkin pie, chocolate pie, I always make a Texas chocolate sheet cake w/walnuts and I think this yr. instead of the pumpkin gooey butter cake my sister is making pumpkin bars w/cream cheese icing.

I'm sure there will be a couple of dishes brought that I've forgotten and everything that we make is all homemade. I also make homemade bread too. I just Love the smell of it baking. Here's the sweet pot. recipie. :) It's soo easy and soo good.

4C. sweet potatoe cubed

1/2C. white sugar

2 eggs beaten

1/2t. salt

4T. butter, softened

1/2C. milk

1/2t. vanilla extract

1/2C. packed brown sugar

1/3C. all-purpose flour

3T. butter, softened

1/2C. chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Put sweet pot. in a medium saucepan w/water to cover. Cook over medium heat 'til tender, drain and mash. In a large bowl, mix together the sweet pot. sugar, eggs, salt, butter, milk and vanilla. Mix 'til smooth. Transfer to a 9x13 baking dish.

In medium bowl, mix the sugar and flour. Cut in the butter 'til the mixture is coarse. Stir in the pecans. Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet pot. mixture.

Bake in the preheated oven 30min. or 'til the topping is lightly brown.

My mom and I just finalized our Thanksgiving menu tonight. I don't much care for turkey but what would Turkey day be without one. The rest is pretty traditional stuff......

dressing w/ giblet gravy :)

mashed potatoes

creamed corn

green beans :eatyum:

english peas

sweet potato casserole

cranberry sauce :eatyum:

macaroni and cheese

chicken and dumplings

angel biscuits :eatyum:

And for dessert....

pecan pie

old fashioned chocolate cake

cheesecake w/ strawberry topping :eatyum:

:eatyum: denotes my personal favorites :yum:

ShihtzuBeauty

Tracy what are denotes?

Tracy what are denotes?

:) It's not something to eat. Here's the definition.

de·note /dɪˈnoʊt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[di-noht] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–verb (used with object), -not·ed, -not·ing. 1. to be a mark or sign of; indicate: A fever often denotes an infection.

2. to be a name or designation for; mean.

3. to represent by a symbol; stand as a symbol for.

Any food item I placed this emoticon :eatyum: beside is one of my personal favorites :eatyum:

ShihtzuBeauty

Duh!!! Thanks! :)

Sunlite

I'm just making a traditional dinner with turkey, mashed potato, baked yams, cranberry sauce, green beans and gravy and rolls. I have to work Wed evening and Friday all day so it'll be simple and uncomplicated. :)

luvmykirbydog

I was nominated to do dinner this year with a little help from my mother. We are having turkey, ham, cornbread (wet), corn pudding, mashed potatos with gravy, mac and cheese, dumplings, green bean cass., broc and cheese, potato salad, cranberry sauce, regular and oyster stuffing (oyster my favorite) and for dessert, pumpkin pie, apple pie and pecan pie. whooo, I think that is the whole menu!! Lol!! Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

:blush-anim-cl: Yay Turkey day is almost here. I'm having the family at my house. Were having deep fried Turkey, Ham, Sweet potatoe casserole, Stuffing (Cornbread stuffing) , Bread stuffing, green bean casserole, My daughters canned green beans since she doesn't like greenbean casserole, creamed corn, noodles, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, brussel sprouts, Corn bread and homemade bread. For dessert were having pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, with whipped cream, cherry pie, banana pie, and chocolate pie. The sad thing is it will take hours to prepare and most of it will be eaten in about 20 minutes. :chickendance: Happy Thanksgiving every body.

:blush-anim-cl: Wow! I thought we did it up right in Canada.....traditional turkey, stuffing, potatoes, turnip, peas, cream corn and pumpkin pie with (lots) whipped cream! But........you all have a ton more traditions from what I am reading......several desserts (YEA!!!), noodles, casseroles, how do you even manage to MOVE after all that food!!!!!!

ShihtzuBeauty

You should see all of us after, UGH! :blush-anim-cl: It's hard to even clean up afterwards.

My parents always have thanksgiving dinner for us at there place. We've started a new tradition the last couple of years of just eating whatever we think is tasty. So we have pepperoni's, assorted cheeses, Summer Sausage, beef sticks, home-made sausage dip, beef jerky (sometimes home-made) that's to start off with. Then we have turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, turkey dumplings, mac and cheese, broccoli caserole, green beans, corn, and to top it all off we have home-made Banana Cream Pie with cool whip on top.