Jake's adoption story

jakes mommy

jakes mommy

I moved into my house in march 2006 and badly wanted a pup but because I was totally broke and bought a house on the spur of the moment (I was bored one day) it was nothing but a pipe dream. I was also nervous that I wouldn't be able to keep up with the demands of a dog so I bought a hamster as a compromise. In this time I bought two cockatiels.

Then at christmas 06 I called to my friends house for a few drinks after work (yup 12hour shift christmas day....bet you are all soooooooo jealous) and santa had brought a shih tzu pup for her 12year old daughter as their other shih tzu had died a few months beforehand. It was love at first sight. I spent the entire evening cuddling up with the furry ball of love on the sofa and he licked my face constantly. I tried to convince them to name him Bart because his hair stuck up on his head.

As the weeks went by I would constantly visit the house just so I could play with Jake (the name they eventually decided on). Each time I would call to the house he would be in the utility room on his own. The daughter then decided she was an emo and wanted a pet snake so poor jake got even less attention.

At the end of march, just after I adopted a rabbit, my friend asked would I take Jake because they couldn't give him anytime and they knew that we loved each other so on 31st march 2007 Jake came home with me. I had NOTHING.....all they had for him was a tiny food and water bowl and a collar and lesh. He also had bad eating habits, he ate scraps and next to no dog food.

He also didn't even recognise his own name when you called him and he was very very jumpy. He was constantly trying to jump up on me

Luckily I had a friend who ran a petshop so I called to her the next day and stocked up on food, brushes, bowls and toys. She even gave me a new bed for him and told me I could pay a few weeks later when I had gotten over the intial buying of supplies!

Jake settled into my house super quick. I was expecting to be awake the entire first night with him crying. I set him up with a few blankets in the kitchen the first night. He slept soundly the first night, not a whimper from him but he neglected the blankets and slept on the hard wood floor instead!

I had two weeks off work when I brought him home so I spent the two weeks giving him plenty of walks so he would be tired and settle into the house, worked on training him on where he can and can't go to the loo, and working on leaving him alone for short periods then building it up. He got on fantastic, it was a breeze really.

The biggest issue I had with him was grooming. He was absolutely petrified of the brushes because he hadn't been groomed by the previous owners at all. Persistence didn't pay off so all his fur and to come off and he got a fairly tight cut! this stayed for a long long while. I left it grow out a bit lately and he is starting to leave me groom him more and more. I still have issues trying to get the backs of his legs but we are getting there slowly but surely.

The past year I have been thinking about getting a lil buddy for him but I ended up taking in a few more birds. oops! I'm looking to get another shih tzu after christmas this year to keep him company when I am not around because he loves being with other dogs

ShihtzuBeauty

What an Awsome story!!! :signthankspin: Sounds like you two really needed eachother! He sounds very Sweet. :blush-anim-cl:

TeddieXRuxpin

That's a meant to be story. It sounds like he loved from the start just as much as you loved him. :signthankspin: Such a sweet ending to a not so great beginning of his life.

jakes mommy

aw! thanks. yeah we are soulmates. If I am upset or sick he curls into me and if I am crying watching a sad movie he licks my tears away. he is the most sweet natured dog ever. My neighbour wants joint custody over him! At the moment she is just encouraging me to take lots of trips away so she can have him for a while. lol

I agree, you were meant to be together. I'm so glad you found eachother. I will never understand why people take on a puppy yet not give it the same love and devotion as they would to a child. They are just as needy. I'm so glad there is a happy ending to this story. You're a wonderful Mama :signthankspin:

CrazyTzuLady

What a beautiful happy ending for you and Jake, that is a wonderful story. They are truly special little dogs aren't they. :signthankspin: to STCT and I can't wait to hear more about Jake! Hope to see you around the board.

Gizzie and Lola's Mom

What a wonderful story. I agree, the 2 of you were meant to be together. Gots to love those rescue stories.

Shih Tzus Mama

Buying a puppy for a 12 year old was a bad move. That is such a changing age for kids growing up. Jake was so lucky to have you there to take over his life and give him the love he was deserving. And now you are being rewarded by him returning the love to you. What a wonderful story with a happy ending. Thank you for sharing a beautiful rescue story.

shihtzumomof2

What is an emo? :tapfingers5rg:

• 2 weeks later...

*Shudder's at the word Emo* My eldest daughter is abit of an Emo Chick. I'm hoping she will grow out of it as she was 20 a few week's ago :signthankspin:

An Emo listen's to what's known as emotional punk music apparantly!! It just sound's deafening screaming!

They dress abit strange too..In fact I shall find a pic of Rebecca my eldest, this should give you a good idea LOL

She's an artist at eye makeup! Gorgeous...

CrazyTzuLady

Wendy she is beautiful! :whitney: I have to agree with Paula her eyes are amazing think she would give us lessons? :blush-anim-cl:

shihtzumomof2

She's very pretty...even as an Emo! I've never heard that term...I wonder if it is just on your side of the pond? Maybe it hasn't reached here. Our kids that look like that are just called punk... I'm glad my kids are grown and I don't have to deal with that. My youngest went through the grunge stage and that was bad enough. Thanks for the explanation.

:head_hurts_kr: I shall pass on the compliment's.

She tried that eye makeup on me once...I looked like Alice Cooper :ohyeah:

I'm not sure if the term Emo is just here, it's possible..if it is I hope it stay's that way, I wouldn't want anyone else to be subjected to the screamy noise my daughter call's good music LOL

Imelda Sorry for going slightly off topic :rolleyes:

Edited by Kae+Gizzy
ShihtzuBeauty

It's here too (Illinois) my sisters friend is an "Emo". Your daughter is Beautiful! :head_hurts_kr:

FairyTail Josette

Wendy, thanks for the explanation, and your daughter is so pretty, just like you, I bet. :P I recently noticed a lot of Emos on MySpace and attachments to add, saying...I'm an emo, etc. Back in our day, I think they were just called punk rockers or into goth. :roflmao:

Wendy, thanks for the explanation, and your daughter is so pretty, just like you, I bet. B) I recently noticed a lot of Emos on MySpace and attachments to add, saying...I'm an emo, etc. Back in our day, I think they were just called punk rockers or into goth. :dunno:

:love:

Yes, there does seem to be alot on myspace. My daughter also has a myspace page, there alway's seems to be a new craze and I'm guessing Emo (or Emu as I used to call them) is one of the latest lol