Not over the Chewing Problem

:puppy: Oh man, just when you think they finally get it. I have been giving Maddy run of the kitchen and hearthroom with Josie for awhile now cause I knew I could trust him to not potty for 5-6 hours at a time. Have never pushed it further than that. Neither of them have run of the FULL house, just too much room to get into trouble in. Well, yesterday, I put Maddy in his kennel for the first half of the work day cause I wasn't sure just what time I would be able to leave to come home and let them out. Well, when I did, I got down on the floor in front of his kennel to love him up.....well.....as I did, I turned around and saw the bottom of my coffee table....yep.....he'd chewed it pretty good at some point. I have no idea when, must have been in the last week, cause I didn't see it last time I did a good cleaning (or just didn't notice it). OMG, I am so upset. I just have no idea how to correct this. I am not even sure really how long it has been there...when vacuuming, I could very easily have missed it for awhile. So, I don't really know if he is still doing it or not. I know he will get any paper he can, so I keep anything like that put up. I am so disappointed, here he is one year old and still acting like a little puppy. I think a lot of you told me before that yours outgrew it around the year mark. Gosh, I sure hope so, this is just maddening. Any suggestions AGAIN will be greatly appreciated. :diablo: Don't we all just want to "perfect little angels"? It really is his only "bad boy" issue, but it is a bad one. :roflmao:

Wicket's mom

Maybe Maddy has a bit of seperation anxiety and that's his way of letting it out? I'm not sure how to correct that though, sorry.

Wicket used to chew all of my mouldings so I bought some "dog repellent" spray. Every morning before going to work I would go around the house and spray every wooden item & corner he could chew on for about 2 weeks and he hasn't chewed any since. Maybe you could try something like that :roflmao:

Angela, this isn't his "first".....he worked on my island in the kitchen and a couple other things. I did buy the bitter yuk stuff and have used that on the island, so far so good. I doused the whole table bottom in the stuff last night, but I sure didn't know I would need to do it daily. Guess I better up the doses. He didn't do it today when I went out, but was only gone 2-3 hours. I also always make sure there are plenty of toys and bones for chewing...I do hope it happened long ago and I just now happened to see it. He's too darn socute.gif to kick to the curb.... :roflmao:

Suzie was doing the same thing to my coffee table bottom..

It started to where she would lose her little mini tennis ball under it and while trying to reach for it, she would grow frustrated and next thing I know, she's chewing the dog snot (no pun intended) out of my coffee table..

I bought one of those wood stain pens and rubbed the chewed spots to cover it up. It looked pretty good, tho you could still see the blend of the stain, then she started up again....only thing was, I never caught her in the act...so I couldn't punish her, but what I did do, was rub all along the outer edging of the table, a little tabasco sauce and said, ok...next time she's in for a real treat.

SHE STOPPED chewing my table....

I just bought the thing only a couple weeks before we got her too....Arrrggggg!

(Pardon the dust...tee hee, you weren't suppose to see that) :roflmao:

kcsheperd

Rally ate through a WHOLE DOOR when he was 6 years old because of separation anxiety.. I would leave them when I went to work with free range in the house..Usually they were awesome, but for some reason Rally started developing SEVERE separation anxiety and I didn't know it was happening till it was too late. One day I made the mistake of shutting my bedroom door (where he would usually go when I left) and when I got back home that day he had scratched/bit/eaten through the WHOLE bedroom door. I was like, "Are you freakin kiddin me?" there were piles of wood, and debris everywhere! Plus, I was thinking that it wasn't good for him to eat that wood! He was fine, I however had to replace the door, and start crating him again when I left..but now I don't have to anymore, because I'm not gone as long throughtout the day, so he does better.

Just don't make a big deal out of leaving, or coming home..I do notice that Rally still shakes sometimes when I'm about to leave..he never tears up anything, but I know he's still anxious about it, so I try to just be very mellow when I leave or come home so that he knows not to make a big deal out of it..

Its hard to correct it if you don't catch him in the act.

CrazyTzuLady

I would be spraying all the wood surfaces that he can reach with the bitter yuck everyday, it worked here Delila has'nt chewed anything in a long time. They are such little :roflmao: are'nt they..........

Perfect timing for bringing this subject up Cathy! My daughter called me last night in tears. Their 2 yr old golden, had chewed 2 of her shoes, a roll of toilet paper & a couple of other things. He had not chewed anything for awhile either, but I'm wondering if he is finally showing a little jealousy with the baby? They are stumped & frustrated & don't know what to do about it. The baby gate went up this morning when she left. He's only got the kitchen for today!!!! Stinkers....all of them!!! LOL!!

The spray you buy - is it safe if a cat goes near it? I'm guessing you buy it at any pet store? Any recommendations on what kind. Ozzie is starting to knaw at the rungs of my oak chairs in the kitchen, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME he'll do it.

CrazyTzuLady

Yeah I get it at petco it is called "Bitter Yuck" but you have to respray everyday because it wears off. As far as I know it is safe around cats I have 3 of them and I have never had a problem with it.

The only chewing Carly has done is the first day we got her we shut her in the bathroom when we were gone at work. (it's pretty large and has a window) Well she didn't like that and she chewed up the bottom of the door. Since then she hasn't chewed up anything.

I don't think it is seperation anxiety...he never shows any stress either before my leaving or when returning. VERY excited when I return....yes. When I go in another room he whines, but I have stayed in the garage even closing the garage door and listened. I hear the two of them a bit, but usually it is quiet. I have also come home and before opening the door I have gone around back and looked in the window and both are on top of the couch back (favorite place) sound asleep. I think it too maybe getting diverted when a toy or bone goes underneath. I am spraying the bitter yuck and no problem, but like I said, I don't know how long it has been there. Little stinker....and here I thought he was an Angel.gif