Ok...

so Lea is potty trained, Bert well, he's not as trustworthy as Lea is, but every day he gets better.

But my problem is, still sorta with Lea.

she is bigger now. So which means her bladder should be getting stronger. She can ring the bell go peee, then an hour later ring the bell again, and go pee again..... 30 mins later ring the bell again, pee / poo...

there has been days like 4 or 5 days in a row that we try to crate them after pottyies, play etc.... but she still isnt getting any better.

Im afraid now that she's learned the bells, that if I here her ring the bells after lets say 45 mins to an hour and she really does have to go, that she will backslide on the ringing the bells when she has to go, and then just pee in the floor.

how would you handle this and how long in between potties should we wait to take her out?

She is roughly 4 to 5 lbs now. Probably closer to 5.

enchantedmountain

You know I think every baby is different. My sisters little girl (firefly) is about 4 1/2 lbs. I noticed I could give her about an hour to and hour and a half and then I would take her over too her "potty box" and she would go. ONly twice did I lose track of time and she pee'd on the floor. This was the first experience I have had with the really tiny ones. She is 6 mos old and I don't know if she pee's so often because she is small or if because she just isn't really potty trained yet and since we don't trust her we make her go that often. She also has been a really difficult one to potty train. I think the smaller ones do have smaller systems, but I am like you, not sure how to handle it. I know they can hold it, because she can be crated over night or sometimes during the day. I think sometimes the problem is that they know what to do to not have to hold it. In lea's case she just rings the potty bells, In firefly's case she is litter box trained and if she is out running around has never had to hold it. As long as she can see the litter box, she will use it.

Well Stacey, I have had this problem with Maddy (used to have it with Josie). He was ringing the bells every 15-30 minutes and every time he would go....only a squirt, cause that was all there was. I started to distract him with toys or just calling him or getting the two to play maybe ever 4-5 times until I really thought he needed to go. I too knew he could hold it for a LOT longer than that. Gradually, he learned that even if he feels an urge, he needs to hold it. So, we are still working on that, but it is a very gradual process. I finally took the bells down, they were too annoying because he literally banged at them. Now he will kinda scratch at the glass and whine. I still distract him for longer periods and I think he is beginning to know that I am not going to take him every single time. I have also learned that his poo habits kinda control part of that too. He does both in the morning and seems to go longer between requests to go out, but in the evening after dinner, he wants to go out very often UNTIL he does his evening poo. I learned that so now the FIRST request for going out after dinner, I just stay out with him, we walk and especiallly run around and work up the poo. Once he poos, he goes usually until almost bedtime then before wanting to go out. That was all a learning process, but think we are pretty close now to knowing when he really needs to go and when he just wants to go out and smell around - that is when a fence would be really nice, but when you have to go out with them, it can be a real pain and I know you too don't have a fence. Good luck, she will learn the control over time, she is only 5-6 months, right? She just doesn't know yet when she gets that urge and mom is right there that she needs to hold it, just like when mom is gone and she is in her kennel.

I do ignore the bells sometimes. then she will run off and play or do whatever, if she really really has to go, she will sit right by the bells and ring again if i dont respond.

I know she just eliminated, so im not going to take her out. Sometimes i put them back in the crate if they've rung it too soon.

But yes i know she can hold it longer, as she holds it for at least 8 hours some nights. And longer when she's in her crate. bert is usually the one crying to get out to use potty.

She is now berts size when he was holding it longer than her before. So she should be able to at least for 4 hours at this point im assuming.

That's sorta why I don't do bells. It makes you hop up and do what they want you to do. Without bells, they hop up and do what you want them to, when it's convenient for you.