can someone help me

Most of you guys know I have the 3 tzu's and 2 persian cats.

I am trying to rehome one of the cats now because of the lease. I am now thinking on giving the other one up too.

This is the 2nd time I have caught Bert eating cat poo. Libby has been sick because of the having to switch her food because her normal food is no longer made. So she has pretty much had the constant runs for several months. Needless to say she's the one im rehoming first because of the problems. But in the meantime until someone comes forward who is serious about adopting her, I am still trying to figure out what foods will work for her. But this is whole other topic.

I am constantly having to shut the bathroom door to the litter box to keep the smaller tzu's out of there. They try to eat the litter whether there is poo in it or not. So its not a poo thing. Im not sure what they think. If they think its food or what. But its not fair to the cats either to have to shut off their bathroom space.

Now before anyone suggests to put it in the laundry room etc etc yada yada.... there is no other room in this house, there is no other place this cat litter box can go to unless its on top the kitchen table. I live in a small studio apartment, its one big open room where my bed/couch/computer/entertainment stand is. Then there is the kitchen/dining area and the bathroom.

When I lived in my last town, I had two bathrooms, I would just always put my cat litter box in the spare bathroom in the tub itself. In order to keep duchess out of it. since we no longer had duchess then got maci. maci doesnt have a problem she dont eat poo, litter or anything else for that matter other than what she is suppose to have.

I need to do something or otherwise im gonna have to rehome josie too. I cant stand this anymore....

Each time this happens it enfuriates me, its the only bad problem my pups have, and 9 times outta 10 its bert not lea, although she follows. I also have to give them a bath again, as I will not let them go around smelling stinky.

Help?!?

If they made a small enough gate that I could easily lift my leg over but keep the pups out, I would get one of those. But I dont really have the extra money to spare at the moment until taxes come in. I would prefer to keep from having to put it in the tub because before we can bath id would have to clean the tub each day.

So im screwed unless I can get a smaller baby gate etc...

OK hubby made me a poo crate to stop this exact problem. I don't have it now as we don't have a cat now but I can try to describe it.

It was a large enclosed box. He made it to look like a piece of furniture, like a chest size. On top of the box we put the cats food.

It was rectangular shaped and the largest side, was made of two doors that opened out, and were lockable, to allow you to move and clean the actual litter tray.

In the smaller side, was a small opening to allow the cat to get in and out to take care of business.

Now the inside was carpeted so when the cat had used the tray, it walked on the carpet to come back out the little cat door, hence wiping his dusty little paws on the way!

The cat could get in, the dogs couldn't, there was no smell, it looked fine in the house and the dogs couldn't eat the cat food..........problem solved!

I used to go through this same exact thing with Bridgette and my Siamese Suki.

I did have more options than you as my home was very large and plenty of rooms, but I refused to place the cat box anywhere except in the bathroom.

So, what I did was buy two TV tray stands ( the solid wood style - very sturdy) and placed them side by side against one wall in my back bathroom and set the cat box up on one of the trays and the other side was where she would jump up on to get to her box. I bought a small little carpet mat and double taped it to the tray so, like what Cackle mentioned, the sand would scuff off onto the carpet before she got down.

I also bought that rubber like drawer/shelf liner at Walmart and cut a square to fit underneath the cat box ro prevent it from sliding.

It worked well enough for our purpose.

Bridgette, was none to happy, as mommy took her "KITTY TREATS" away..but oh well..

Too Bad, So Sad Bridgy...LOL

OR....

You could buy those self cleaning mechanical ones that instantly scoop the litter as soon as the cat steps out of the box and cleans it too....

They are costly, but for your sanity, may pay for itself upon the first day...

I put a baby gate across the door to the room the litter box is in. My cats jumps over it when she has to go and the pups can't get to it.

I would say the gate is the cheapest way to go.Good luck,They do seem to love those Cat poo goodies ,dont they.

Yup, just a $10 baby gate from WalMart.

The cat litter can clog up the dogs' intestinal tract and you end up with very costly

vet bills.

Can a normal baby gate be stepped over easily???

I have bad knees and sometimes lose my balance

He dont just eat the poo................ he eats the litter even with no poo in the box. We are pretty good about shutting the door to the bathroom but sometimes forget

Edited by Stacey

I step over mine all the time. I also have bad knees. I should say since I too lose my balance easily I use the door frame to steady myself when stepping over. HTH.

Can a normal baby gate be stepped over easily???

I have bad knees and sometimes lose my balance

He dont just eat the poo................ he eats the litter even with no poo in the box. We are pretty good about shutting the door to the bathroom but sometimes forget

It depends on what style and what brand you get..

Some have been made high for children who are at that CLIMBING stage/age and some are made shorter for toddlers..

Just look at the box when and if you opt to go that route.

I use two gates..one has a slide and a wood bar that goes across it and locks down onto the gate frame (the bar has ridges/dips, that you measure your door with to) and the other one I have is like an accordian...it stretches out across and has an X like pattern when open and it has these little hooks on each end that you hook onto wall brackets using the brackets that come with that you attach to the door frame and or wall...

They are both pretty much the same in height, give or take an inch or two difference...

I am 5' 3' tall and have to hold on to the wall or door jam to lift my legs up and over...but unless I am not paying attention to what I am doing, I can usually get over it pretty well....

Edited by Apeke
CrazyTzuLady

We use the $10 baby gates from Wal Mart to and yes it is pretty easy to step over them but I swear they jump up and trip us every so often. :blush-anim-cl: You should hear what comes out of hubby at 5 am when he is trying to get out of the bedroom door in the dark. :)

We use the $10 baby gates from Wal Mart to and yes it is pretty easy to step over them but I swear they jump up and trip us every so often. :blush-anim-cl: You should hear what comes out of hubby at 5 am when he is trying to get out of the bedroom door in the dark. :)

Men have such drunken sailor potty mouths...don't they?

I swear I thought my husband learned chinese one day when he bashed his woo hoooo aganst it trying to climb over once...

Some gates are equipped with a way to open them. Check around. We don't want you taking a fall, but then it's quite dangerous for a dog to eat kitty litter.

the clever cat pan is the way to go, but it is $30 at Petsmart. I had gates and boxes and tried so many things but not once have my dogs gotten in the liter since we got the clevercat pan it is the link in post #3.

You might be able to make one out of an rubbermaid storage container. just cut a hole in the lid.

tzu_delight

Well, I just wanted to add that I used a babygate for out kitchen when I was preggo. For some reason the dogs wanted to pee in the kitchen all the time. One morning when I was on my way to work I stepped over the gate and didn't pick my leg up high enough and fell on the gate right on my tummy! Scared the s*** out of me! Everything was fine but whew.... You can just pull up on the bar and then close it back. Which is soo what I do now if I ever use it! :)

shihtzumomof2

I have the door to the room blocked with a piece of plywood that we can step over easily, but the dogs won't jump over. That's the thing that worked for me.

I dont really have the room for a storage box, if i did go that route it would have to sit on top the kitchen table.

I really am just thinking of rehoming the persians. But will probably get some sort of gate that doesnt require to be attached unless its done by pressure until then.

I dont use normal cat litter. I have the breeze litter box. Its not normal litter. but I have seen whole pellet come out in his poop once or twice.

well ladies.....

I might have found my solution and it was right here at home.

I had the two dividers for the crates. I attached them together using the strap ties. Then nailed for nails on my door facing and used more strap ties to attach them to the nails. So far so good. Both cats are learning to jump over. However you know how good bert is going to be in agility, im afraid he will jump it lol. Hopefully its enough to deter him from trying. And its small enough for me to walk over.

CrazyTzuLady

Sounds like a good solution! :birthday_toast:

Good thinking.... :birthday_toast: