Question about the first night home?

Ok...I plan on usually keeping my puppy's crate in our laundry room(with a baby gate at the entrance door) so that she can have a space away from us when she needs a break (by us I mean my 10 yr old daughter and 3 yr old son :kicking:). I was thinking that until she adjusts to us and our home, I would put her in her crate at night and put the crate on my beside table(it's secure and there would be no danger of it toppling off) where I could keep my hand near her to comfort her during the night. Is this a good idea or should I just let her adjust to it in the laundry room(with her nightlight, toys, blanket, and bed of course lol)? :inlove:

GizmoHappyKitty

It depends on the puppy. Gizmo when we brought him home we tried keeping him in the kitchen at night in his crate but he would have nothing to do with it. After 2 sleepless nights of him crying as soon as i would just start to fall asleep we moved his crate to the bedroom. After a night of him crying in the crate still in the bedroom we let him sleep on the bed and he didnt' make a peep all night and has been there ever since...........lol

Now, Kitty on the other hand was totally different. We put her in the kitchen the first night with her crate and she cried a little bit, but then I went into the doggy toy box and pulled out a nice soft stuffie and gave it to her, she cuddled up with it and didn't make a peep after that. After about 3 nights with her sleeping in the kitchen we went and found a baby play pen at a yard sale and put her in that instead of a crate and she stayed in her playpen at night, when we were at work and when we were busy and couldn't keep 100% watch on her. She stayed in her play pen until she was about 4 mo. old and made a little hole in the mesh so that she could come and go from it when she wanted.......lol.

Michele and the pups

TheShihtzuation

instead of a crate and she stayed in her playpen at night, when we were at work and when we were busy and couldn't keep 100% watch on her. She stayed in her play pen until she was about 4 mo. old and made a little hole in the mesh so that she could come and go from it when she wanted.......lol.

Michele and the pups

I was thinking of a playpen for Pokey. He's been doing so great with house training and in he's getting so big so quick that when he lays flat on his belly with front and back legs sprawled out.. he's too big for the crate!! And the sprawled out laying seems to be his laying of choice.. haha.

The first night we brought Pokey home was really hard. He was in the room where my mom and Klepto sleeps.. and he was just crying all night long. I brought him into my room with the crate - and he was still crying. I gave him a stuffed animal to snuggle, put a clock near his crate - and as extra insurance even found a ticking clock online that I left on all night for him. He slept like a baby from 4am to 8am after that.

Second night he was back in the room with my mom and Klepto, a clock near his crate and his lovey monkey - and he slept all night.. no crying.

I think it's best to keep your babe near you, at least for the first couple of nights. I had read somewhere (specially when their little puppies) that when they're with you all day and then at night you suddenly separate them from the pack (you and your family) - they can start to feel anxious - or like they did something wrong and wonder why they're suddenly being separated from everyone.

I believe puppies need the comfort of knowing mommy's are nearby.

I bought a used travel size portable playpen for when Suzie was baby..

I kept it in the closet which was right next to my bed. We have a huge king size bed in a double bed sized room..LOL

So, the closet is like RIGHT THERE...lol

I would also keep a small night light on so she can see where I was in the bed.

Now, there were nights, she was ok with this arrangement and other nights, she was totally insecure, so I would scooch the playpen, RIGHT NEXT to my bed and I would reach down and hang my arm off the side of the bed and she felt safe seeing mommy there.

Also, I have an older robe I wear around the house to clean in and I also placed that in her pen with her when I had to leave for work, so she would have something familiar to her, in with her...

She now sleeps with me and we're happy happy happy..

No sissy lala emotional problems or behavior issues..

But, personally, that's the way I like it. Some would rather train their pups to sleep away from people and learn to be more independant in their crate.

And for some pups, they love being in their crate, it's a den to them and they go there for quiet time and security...

My Suzie NEVER liked her crate and I think it's because of the long flight and negative experiance she had on the plane.

This was her in her pen when she was 4 - 6 months old..

HPIM1092.jpg

Edited by Apeke

I began with a crate for Molly and graduated to a playpen, she still sleeps in her playpen. I guess the most important thing is to begin the way you mean to go on. If you want your dog to stay sleeping in the laundry, then start her off there. She will cry and you have to be tough, I wasn't and I have to get up to Molly at 6:30 every morning..........

I'm a mean mommy. Dogs sleep in their crates wherever I decide the crates are going to "live" and that's the end of that. The crates NEVER live in the bedroom (I need my 'beauty' sleep). I've occasionally had puppies cry the first couple of nights, but I'd just heave a shoe at the crate and say "NO!" as it made contact and that didn't last long.

CrazyTzuLady

We tried the crate for a couple of nights when Giz was a baby but daddy caved after the second or third night, I can't remember which now, and put him in bed with us and he has been there every since along with the other three. We still have the crate it is actually left under my computer desk open and all of the boys will get in it and nap everyday sometimes two at a time. I like having them in bed with us at night and so does hubby. I guess you will have to figure out what works for you when she gets there, I think they are all different and everyone has different ways to do things.

Vicki I love that pic of Suzie she is such a doll baby. :dede:

Ahhh...thanks Barb..

She was and still is a doll baby...but sad thing is SHE KNOWS IT TOO..

She's such a drama queen...

I crate the kids at night. I always have when I have had puppies for potty training. I feed them in their crates as well. So it becomes their safe haven.

IF I can't for some reason bring them to work and the weather they are in my office with a wee wee pad (they actually prefer out doors but will use the pad)

Edited by Dyllinsmom

Well..I'm a softee.. I tried the crate thing at night with both Payslee & Sawyer. Payslee raised 10 kinds of hell..Not just crying.. But CRYING, FLAILING, SCREAMING, SQUEALING...etc.. I even had the crate by my bed, and she was having no part of it..So she ended up in bed with me..And yes for 2 weeks that sucked..because she would pee on the bed! Ahh! But she grew out of that, and now stays down for the count when we go night night.. See her face in this pic? It is saying, "I ain't going in that crazy mama".

2crn1up.jpg65balg.jpg

Now Sawyer actually did better.. I put his crate up in my King Sized bed with me, and he did fine..no crying..However, I noticed that Sawyer never really moved, or woke up during the night (thank you!).. So I eventually took him out and put him in bed with Pays, Rally & I and he has never peed on the bed, or had an accident..He can hold it a lot longer than Pays, so he sleeps all through the night.

I still use their crates for 'quiet time' and 'nap time' and when I'm gone..I just can't do it at nights..I like my furbabies with me in bed!

I would love to sleep with them (hubby works nights) but I figured I would wait till they are a bit larger and my crestie sleeps with me. My bed is really high and worry that they might get hurt

Both of mine have slept with me from day one. I never had a problem. Dixie was 10 weeks old when she came home and Molly was 8 weeks.

I never used a crate for when i was gone. I baby gated them in the laundry room.

Molly is trained on those potty pads and i have not had to lock her up in about a month. She stays out all day with no accidents. She is now 4 months old. Dixie on the other hand i had to lock up until she was about 6-7 months old. I trained her to go outside to potty from the beginning and that took a bit longer for her to not have accidents in the house.

enchantedmountain

I always crated mine at night. It would take between 2-5 nights of crying, before they got used to it. Some do not take it as well as others, I agree

Thank you everyone! I actually want her to sleep with us in our bed, but it is really high and I am deathly afraid of her falling off while she is a pup and getting hurt. I plan to have her in the bed when she is an adult, but I do not want her hurt. I don't know what to do! I want her with me as much as possible. I just want her to know that she has her crate and room for quiet time if she (and me) needs it! I have also looked online at steps for our bed, but I can't find steps high enough! 19 inches just isn't going to cut it! I don't know what to do! :sadangel:

CrazyTzuLady

Just an FYI my bed from the floor to the top of the mattress is 32 inches high, I love a tall bed, and none of mine have ever fallen off the bed. I was always worried they would but nope they never have.They always sleep in between us and once they fall asleep they stay there until morning. :birthday_toast:

Puppies are taken from the mommie and siblings. That is scary for them, they can't sleep with the warm puppies.

I think a crate or playpen by you at night is best for the baby. Just like newborns, they cry, but we can make it easier on them. The only time I had to have Trudy in the kitchen is when I would be very ill with CFS when she was small. Usually, she was beside me in her crate, then when she was able to safely sleep with me all was perfect. She was quiet and we were both happier that way. I don't think it is a matter of being "soft," it is just what is best for the pups and how we all like to do things.

sevenbdayUSESM.jpg