How do breeders deal with poop eating?

I'm just wondering how breeders or people with several Tzus deal with the poop eating. It's not too hard for me to keep 1 or 2 Shih Tzus from doing that, but with more I don't see how it's possible. This is something that I'm wondering about, because I'm thinking about possibly breeding Shih Tzu in the future. I can't imagine a bunch of dogs going around with poop in their beards and doody breath. :bdaycake::head_hurts_kr: So I'm really hoping that someone here has a solution!

Edited by Luvntzus

I never had a problem with it. Because I cleaned it up as I seen it. I did have problems with cat litter and cat poo tho lol.

Even outside tho they never once attempted to eat poo.

Well I can't say I know. Not all shih tzu do it only one previous shih tzu of mine did it. I guess they just have to clean up a lot. I have read before that the mother dogs clean up after the puppies, it's a good question.

Arm yourself with poop bags and grab it up as soon as it hits the ground. I feed mine "Distaste" from Drs Foster & Smith. Now and then Juno will grab a piece of poop that I have missed, but she doesn't eat it. I have also hollered "Spit that out!" enough times that she often actually does it.

Many dogs outgrow this godawful habit.

Well keeping the yard clean does help, but otherwise you can use a product called deter" which you put in the food. It makes the poop taste awful, stopping the problems.

To be honest, even when I had alot of shepherds, I never had a problem with a "poop" eater. However- I also fed a highly digestable food or foods as well. A food that doesn't digest well can leave unprocessed food in the poop...

Well keeping the yard clean does help, but otherwise you can use a product called deter" which you put in the food. It makes the poop taste awful, stopping the problems.

To be honest, even when I had alot of shepherds, I never had a problem with a "poop" eater. However- I also fed a highly digestable food or foods as well. A food that doesn't digest well can leave unprocessed food in the poop...

This made me laugh! Does anyone really know what poop tastes like? In my mind it should be awful without any additives. :head_hurts_kr:

This made me laugh! Does anyone really know what poop tastes like? In my mind it should be awful without any additives. :bdaycake:

LOL... ( never thought of it that way.. lol. ) It also changes the smell of it changing the pattern but that was funny.. :head_hurts_kr:

Let me add that picking it up right away, especially with a young pup, only adds the " fascination" of the stool. Calling the dog back to you, give a little bit using it as a distraction to come away from the poop seems to help.

Edited by borzoimom
ShihtzuBeauty

You don't watch! :bye1:

LOL Exactly!!!

enchantedmountain

LOL, these are all true. It is true it is hard when you have lots of babies, mine are slowly growing out of it, but I do all of the above also (including not watching :bye1: ) When I do notice they have ate poop, I get them as soon as they have come inside and I brush their teeth and spray breath spray in their mouth and clean their beards with wipes. That right there is a deterant because they hate it when I fuss with there face and teeth.

FairyTail Josette

I'm just wondering how breeders or people with several Tzus deal with the poop eating. It's not too hard for me to keep 1 or 2 Shih Tzus from doing that, but with more I don't see how it's possible. This is something that I'm wondering about, because I'm thinking about possibly breeding Shih Tzu in the future. I can't imagine a bunch of dogs going around with poop in their beards and doody breath. :(:bye1: So I'm really hoping that someone here has a solution!

If you decide to breed, you may not have a problem with this at all. Josey has never ate her poop and her parents don't either. But, Josey's breeder said she has had problems with the other furkids eating poo, and she has given deter and told them it was a treat. lol

She feels it's a learned behavior that you can stop. :P

Edited by Chocolate Shih Tzu Candy

It's a tendency with this breed especially, and, I understand, other small dogs too.

My dogs also love to find deer and rabbit poop.

My son has a cairn terrier and she eats her own poo if we don't pick it up right way... its disgusting!

Sunlite

Emma has always done this and nothing outside of picking it up right away will work. Today she ran 1/2 way out in the yard and circling, pooing and eat at the same time. :emot-angel:

Thanks for all the responses! Gingerbread is a (mostly) reformed poo eater. With him I did some of the things mentioned here- teaching him to leave it, cleaning it up right away, cleaning his beard, using breath spray, etc. I just can't imagine doing all that with 10 dogs for instance. I can't be everywhere at once! lol :emot-angel:

Deter looks like it would probably be the best solution since it's a chewable tablet. That would make life so easy if I could just give them all a treat and prevent the doody eating.

CrazyTzuLady

Emma has always done this and nothing outside of picking it up right away will work. Today she ran 1/2 way out in the yard and circling, pooing and eat at the same time. :emot-angel:

:dede: Sorry Susan but that was one heck of an image I just got in my head. :judy:

I keep tellin you guys, over and over again.....

ThAt Is WhY tHeY cAlL tHeM...... SHI_TZU !!! Duh???? teasing-1.gif

Emma has always done this and nothing outside of picking it up right away will work. Today she ran 1/2 way out in the yard and circling, pooing and eat at the same time. :hug:

Ok that was a very funny mental picture.

I had never heard of this habit until I started going on doggy net.

My friends and none of the people that I know have dogs that do this.

I read somewhere that it can be hereditary or maybe they were on "lock down"

for long periods without getting away from the poop.

So my advice is to check with your breeder and ask if they have this problem

in their breeding stock.

I would have never gotten a Shih Tzu if I had gone on line and heard of this problem.

I'm so glad that they don't all do this. :signthankspin:

:hysterical:

It's a tendency with this breed especially, and, I understand, other small dogs too.

My dogs also love to find deer and rabbit poop.

OMG...I thought mine were the only ones that find rabbit poop a delicacy..... :hysterical:

Mom_to_Franklin

Sassy eats poop and she is actually overweight because of it. I am going to get crap (pardon the pun) when she goes to the vet. She is my 4th dog and the only one who does it. I find it kind of interesting that females have more of a tendency to do it....could have to do with the maternal instinct.

My issue now is that she doesn't touch her own poop but she eats my BOXER's poop :)

I have tried every commercial product out there - as well as pineapple juice. I can't bring myself to try the tabasco or cayenne pepper though. I think the only thing that you can do - and everyone in this thread seems to agree - is pick it up as soon as its done. I have tried distracting her by yelling, jumping up and down, shaking the bag of treat across the yard etc ( my neighbors must get a kic out of seeing me - especially when I hvae my hair wrapped in a towel!!)

I will admit that I haven't been doing a good job at picking it up right away - its hard work to chase her when there is 5 feet of snow and its -30 out :blush-anim-cl: ( we call them "poopcicles")

CrazyTzuLady

My sons best friend once said to me " wow your dog has really good manners..........cleaning up after herself like that :blush-anim-cl: " :)

My sons best friend once said to me " wow your dog has really good manners..........cleaning up after herself like that :dede: " :)

Love That !!! hooray.gif36_11_62.gifhooray.gif

My sons best friend once said to me " wow your dog has really good manners..........cleaning up after herself like that :dede: " :)

Now that's funny!!!!!!!!