How do breeders deal with poop eating?

Sassy eats poop and she is actually overweight because of it. I am going to get crap (pardon the pun) when she goes to the vet. She is my 4th dog and the only one who does it. I find it kind of interesting that females have more of a tendency to do it....could have to do with the maternal instinct.

My issue now is that she doesn't touch her own poop but she eats my BOXER's poop :throb:

I have tried every commercial product out there - as well as pineapple juice. I can't bring myself to try the tabasco or cayenne pepper though. I think the only thing that you can do - and everyone in this thread seems to agree - is pick it up as soon as its done. I have tried distracting her by yelling, jumping up and down, shaking the bag of treat across the yard etc ( my neighbors must get a kic out of seeing me - especially when I hvae my hair wrapped in a towel!!)

I will admit that I haven't been doing a good job at picking it up right away - its hard work to chase her when there is 5 feet of snow and its -30 out :brr: ( we call them "poopcicles")

It won't work when you're at a distance and she has the opportunity to ignore you. The same thing has happened to me. In this case the only thing that would work is to take her out on a leash. Mine start out with puppy pads indoors and it's so much easier to train them. I would stick a treat right under their nose. Gradually it would progress to them coming over to "tell me" that they pottied so they could get their treat. But when you haven't done that training and they're loose in the yard all bets are off! lol

One thought I had, are you still putting any products in Sassy's food? I wonder if it might have worked and that's why she's going after the Boxer's poop. In that case, you might have to put something in all your dogs' food.

So I guess I have good solutions for 1 or 2 dogs, but with 10, there's no way that stuff would be possible. I've got my fingers crossed for Deter! When and if I ever breed that is.

Olly-Bears Mama

They'll eat poop for several different reasons. Some learn it from their mothers, as they clean up after them as babies. For some its a behavior...I think I've made such a big deal out of it, now Oliver sneaks to do it. And it can also be because dog's don't digest everything in their food. So, where you see poop, they see perfectly good undigested food.

I tried For-bid when I first got Oliver. It only worked as long as I had him on it. Solid Gold also makes a product called SEP (Stop Eating Poop), it helped a little, but I think Oliver's habit is more behavioral. My dad met a Shih Tzu breeder last week and asked her about it, and she said the best thing is pineapple. But, for the most part, I try to pick it up right away. Oliver will eat his own poop and Merphys...he doesn't seem to like my parent's dogs doo, but my parents insist on feeding him Pedigree, and my baby is too good for that crappy food!

I was gonna have my friend Andrew watch my dogs while I was in the hospital for the night a few months back. He asked me if the puppy would crap in his house. I told him he's usually pretty good, but if he does end up pooping in his house, he would pick up after himself! I've also asked for suggestions at one of the holistic pet stores in Seattle...I told them that Oliver is taking his breed name out of context!