Nipping and lots of other general questions

Hi I posted over in the Welcome area and now I'm finding myself with lots of questions about my little girl Lucy who is now 12 weeks old.

One of my biggest concerns at the moment is her nipping. She constantly wants to nip at our feet, ankles and calves...those little teeth hurt...ouch! I've tried a few things but so far I've been unsuccessful in getting her to stop. Any suggestions? Also wondering when they tend to get out of this stage.

I have a poop eater also. I've read some of the advice on here and I'm wondering do the majority of them outgrow this over time? I'm finding it difficult to keep my eye on her constantly and I wonder if I'll ever be able to let her have full reign in the house without worrying. I also worry about letting her outside to potty.

My little girl is potty trained to go on the puppy pads in the house. (She learned so fast and I'm so proud of her!) I'd like to also potty train her to go outside. I'm trying to figure out how to do this. I don't want to confuse her. Ideally when the weather is warm I'd like her to go outside and when it's cold or it's dark out, I'd want her to use the potty pads in the house. How do I train this?

Last but not least, when do most puppies go for their first groom? I don't feel like my little girl needs groomed yet but I feel like her hair is starting to grow in front of her eyes and I'm wondering if everyone just trims that area. I'm a little scared to try for fear of her moving.

Sorry about all these questions. I thought raising a Labrador would give me experience but I have found out that they are completely different as puppies and I feel very new to all of this.

Thank You

Payslee outgrew nipping..She used to nip at my houseshoes all the time, but I haven't noticed her doing that in awhile (she is 21 weeks old)..But when she would really go to town I would carry a spray bottle around and 'mist' at her and say "No" when she was doing it..

As for the poop eating, I distract her after she goes with a treat..So the second she gets finished I'm all "Yay Pays! Yay Pays!" and she gets excited and runs over to me, and I reward with a treat. Same thing with Sawyer..

Sawyer was 16 weeks when I got him, and had NO CONCEPT of 'outside'..We had to go out about every two hours until he started to understand what I was wanting him to do. He's now 20 weeks old, and he's got it down pretty good..He's done really well this past week so I think its starting to sink in. I use Puppy pads in their EX Pen (I have to leave them in that while they are at work) and to be honest, they are not great with the puppy pads..They use them 'kinda'..but not really.lol.. Dogs are predispositioned to use the grass and dirt to go pee..Something about the smells (according to my shih-tzu's for dummies book) and such. So I think if you just start taking her out every two hours or so she will do her business out there..and just praise her when she does. They actually seem to 'figure it out' pretty easily.

And on the grooming: Pays & Saw are 21 & 20 weeks, and I haven't taken them to the groomer yet..Because I dont want them to act like freaks! So I've been bathing them at home and brushing their hair, faces, etc..cleaning their ears, clipping their nails..etc..So that way when they DO go to the groomer (probably in the next month or so) they will be NICE Sweet babies to the groomer! I've got a great groomer who will be very patient with them, but I dont want them to act ugly...lol.. good luck!

Hi I posted over in the Welcome area and now I'm finding myself with lots of questions about my little girl Lucy who is now 12 weeks old.

One of my biggest concerns at the moment is her nipping. She constantly wants to nip at our feet, ankles and calves...those little teeth hurt...ouch! I've tried a few things but so far I've been unsuccessful in getting her to stop. Any suggestions? Also wondering when they tend to get out of this stage.

My Corkey and Suzie both had a problem with wanting to NIP all the time, it's a form of play, however, thay do not realize it does hurt...I always repeated the same command and tapped ever so lightly, but with enough strength to let them know that was unacceptable..I would say while tapping their nose or head..."NO....NO BITE" in a stern tone and after awhile they connected the nipping with the command of NO BITE and stopped...But they would forget in play, and would have to be reminded, but didn't continue doing it just to do it.

I have a poop eater also. I've read some of the advice on here and I'm wondering do the majority of them outgrow this over time? I'm finding it difficult to keep my eye on her constantly and I wonder if I'll ever be able to let her have full reign in the house without worrying. I also worry about letting her outside to potty.

I have tried everything from Tabassco sauce, to Forbid, to stuff from Petco...NO DICE. I just heard eventually they do grow out of it.

Let's hope...because Suzie is notorious for her poopy tidbit treats..LOL

My little girl is potty trained to go on the puppy pads in the house. (She learned so fast and I'm so proud of her!) I'd like to also potty train her to go outside. I'm trying to figure out how to do this. I don't want to confuse her. Ideally when the weather is warm I'd like her to go outside and when it's cold or it's dark out, I'd want her to use the potty pads in the house. How do I train this?

I am no expert on housetraining by any means, LOL...SO I honestly am not any help here..LOL

Last but not least, when do most puppies go for their first groom? I don't feel like my little girl needs groomed yet but I feel like her hair is starting to grow in front of her eyes and I'm wondering if everyone just trims that area. I'm a little scared to try for fear of her moving.

I took Suzie to her first groomer when she was 5 months old..

I don't know if her bad experience has to do with the fact she now fights me when I groom her,

as the groomer did cut her eye when clipping her face, but

I heard if you started them as early in age as possible getting use to being brushed, bathed, the sound of the elect. cippers, blow dryers etc.. it helps them not develop fears when they do finally go to the groomers..

Sorry about all these questions. I thought raising a Labrador would give me experience but I have found out that they are completely different as puppies and I feel very new to all of this.

Labs are different from Tzu's period..whether puppies or adults...

One thing I learned, is that a dog is not just a dog of breed..they are as unique as DNA...LOL

Thank You

Edited by Apeke

Buy some cow hooves, they kinda stink, but this encourages them chewing on them instead of you and helps with teething. Mine no longer nip unless they are playing with the other dogs.

Clean it up, they shouldnt have full range of the house anyway until they are dependable and trust worthy. If you cant watch them, crate them, or contain them. It usually takes about 6 months to even consider letting them romp free all the time.

I have two that is getting ready to be 7 months and I still crate them at times to keep from pottying. They only used potty pads for a very short period of time. Lea was potty trained to outside by 3 months. Bert was trained to potty pads better than Lea was, so I let him go a tad bit longer to potty train him to outside. He has not used a potty pad in 2 months. They are all trustworthy at this point, because I taught them to use the poochie bells. They ring it if they have to go. If its been too soon since last potty break, I usually put them back in their crate until next potty trip. I usually go outside every 3 to 4 hours. The sooner you learn her to potty outside the better.

My suggestion is crate train if you havent done so already. There is several several topics on this already, just search around for some, as my suggestions are always the same, If I find one, Ill let you know

Do not cut the hair around the eyes, many people do it and ALWAYS regret it. I left my two pups alone and I dont regret it, My maci's is just now growing out after the vet cut it for spay surgery.... Its totally bugging me. Hide the scissors. Its fine for a normal groom, but you be sure to tell them, do not cut the hair around the eyes in any shape form or fashion because some will cut it anyway regardless. Then you'll be left having to grow it out which is much worse than it will be growing as a puppy.

Ok here is what I suggest on potty training, I took this from apeke's post on her suzie. Ill also post link so you can go back and read.

http://shihtzuchattertwo.sunlitesplace.com...=potty+training

Put her in her crate for sleeps even if you have to, then get up take her out, she no pee put her in her crate, feed her in her crate, 30 mins later, take her out again, she no pee, put her in her crate, try again 30 mins after, they no pee put her in her crate and USE THE DIVIDER! This way she has less chance of pee/poo on herself.

The only time she gets to run loose in the house for a bit is if she successfully potties outside.

IT MAY SEEM HARSH (dont give in to her eyes and let her by with anything), AND IT PROBABLY IS BUT IF YOU DONT DO IT NOW YOU'LL NEVER NIP THIS IN THE BUD.

And no not all tzu's are stubborn and not all tzu are hard to train. But you must not give not an inch, Remember you are the pack leader you must tell them where to go.

She must also learn to go in the rain, the dew and anything else that might come along. You'll end up wet, soaked, frustrated from having to stand there like a damn idiot but you need to do this now.

This also means taking her out on a lead and walking her to make her go. No doggy door, no just send her out by herself, you stand there with her until she goes. And after 15 mins she dont go, bring her back in put her in the crate and do it again in 30 mins.

Oh yeah buy treats that she dearly loves and begs for but only give them to her when she does go and have a big damn party when she does do it. She will catch on, I PROMISE!

Here is another good one.

http://shihtzuchattertwo.sunlitesplace.com...=potty+training

I have to disagree with Stacey--I don't regret trimming the top of the little muzzle. Many people do, but it's simply a matter of preference. Three of mine are trimmed, one is not.

TheShihtzuation

Disclaimer: I am a new shih tzu mommy nad definitely not nearly as experienced as all of the other posters here but I'm just going to tell you how we did it with my little man, Pokey.. who is now 20 weeks old. (We've had him since he was 8 wks). This site in itself and the people here have been such a great help though!!

POOPING: Knock on wood.. but we haven't had this problem (yet?) with Pokey. Immediately when he's done pooping outside we back away from the poo and carry on. He's never ever pooped in his crate or his playpen.. unless, he's been eating it.. but I'm almost positive we'd smell it on his breath or see it on his fur.. or residue in the crate, and nada..

POTTY TRAINING: We did this wrong.. when I was telling the puppy trainer how we did it she cringed.. but hey, it worked for us. Not recommending it.. because it does and can confuse the babies, but our baby picked it up. We had a small Petmate crate and in the back half we put puppy pads (for emergency) and in the front a blanky. We also had puppy pads sprinkled through out the house in spots where I noticed during his first few days he'd have accidents.. And one by the door that you use to go outside of. For the first few weeks we were super diligent with taking him out every. 2. hours. Even in the middle of the night! Until he was done with his puppy shots we took him in the same exact spot every single time (it was a sidewalk in our yard so we were able to see if he's actually peeing or not). We'd put him down and say "go peepee.. go peepee.. c'mon (insert doggys name here) go peepee.." The first 2 weeks we'd be out there for about 10 minutes each time until he went. If he wouldn't go, like someone else said, you bring them back in and put em right in the crate. Then wait 20 mins or so and try it all again. I live in a second floor apartment too and had to walk down the stairs carrying the babe, bundled up cuz it was 10 degrees out.. but it was worth it. By the third week the time we were outside got shorter and shorter and shorter and he picked up on what exactly "go peepee" meant. Praising him tremendously (and sounding ridiculously goo-goo ga-ga ish) to let him know he did good. Sticking to that potty time run every 2 hours doesn't really give him a chance to pee in the crate. You also look for the signs, if Pokey was playing and suddenly just stopped to sniff around.. I picked him up right away and we went downstairs. He's now 4 months and we graduated from a crate to a playpen.. we do have a potty pad in there at the far end just in case.. but he hasn't used it yet.

We're down to maybe an accident in the house not on a peepee pad maybe once a week.. if not less. But for the most part.. he's pretty good. Again.. I dont recommend doing it my way.. because all the books say this is the exact wrong way to do it (potty pads in the crate).. but .. yeah. so.. :)

GROOMING: We took him very early on in for his first grooming experience (here's a quick video) . They only did a wash, a blowout, cut his nails and did his ears. Because he was so young they didn't want to freak him out with the clippers at that time. I'd say he was about 10 or 11 weeks (it was after his bordatella shot). We took him in for a full treatment to a different groomer (which I regret now..) and she did the whole shebang but it freaked him out because she didnt take the time to really get him used to the clippers.. or the sound.

NIPPING: For the nipping.. Pokey used to be a crazy nipper! He'd go nuts when we'd put his harness on to go outside, his jacket.. cuddle time he'd just want to bite.. etc. Whenever he would do that we'd immediately replace our arms or fingers or other body parts with a toy. It wasn't until just recently (maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago) he suddenly stopped! He'll still nip a little.. but its not nearly as much as it was when he was a baby. So I think like everyone says.. they will grow out of it. We'd also do the "no bite!" command and then hand him something he can bite and say "good boy".

Sorry if I was of little or no help.. just thought I'd share my experience. :blush-anim-cl: Goood luck!!

Edited by thepupstuff

Puppies nip, they are mouthy at that age like babies and they are teething also. Say no and give lots of toys. Babies need gentle guiding and relief from gum pain.

Also, wet a face cloth, tie it in a knot and freeze it. My pups always love it. The gums hurt for several months when they teethe. Be patient. My pups over the years have always felt better and grown out of it in a few months. Be patient and positive training is good. No need to yell etc.

I groom at home. Safe and easy, no stress. I do not clip the face or eye area. It is hard to grow out again. Looks really soft with longer hair. It will lie down after a few months.

Pups are ready to be in the whole house usually by age one. Each is different. I am a stay at home dog and bird mom, so I could easily train. Out every hour.

Edited by Sally
  • 2 weeks later...
ILoveLucy

I just want to thank you all for all your advice. It was very helpful. I know I have so many more questions. I just hope one day I'll be on the other end being able to help others. Thanks again! :puppy: