It's Me Or the Dog..

TheShihtzuation

You know I can't post a new post without giving a backstory..

I have been hearing SO MUCH about this show, but unfortunatly do not receive The Animal Planet Channel anymore. I don't know why, my cableman tried giving me some hullabaloo about its because I have TIVO.. but if I get rid of the TIVO and use the cable company's DVR then I'll get my Animal Planet, E Channel, TLC, and A&E back.. bah!

Anyway, earlier I was thinking about this and wondering since we have the "On Demand" channel.. if the Animal Planet would be listed.. and it WAS!!! .. under "Free on Demand". Unfortunatly there's only one episode up of Me or the Dog.. but I'm about to watch and am soo sosoosos excited I just had to share. lol.

I'll give everyone my review when it's over. :hysterical: How many people here watch this particular show? I wonder if it'd be available to rent at the library or something..

FairyTail Josette

I watch it every Saturday night on Animal Planet. I love Victoria Stilwell. I've learned a lot from her positive training techniques. You will love it!

I also have been watching the show on Animal Planet, From Underdog to Wonderdog...a team rescues a dog, grooms him/her, trains him/her, he/she receives proper medical attention, and then a family is waiting at the end of the show to give the furkid a new forever home. There's a canine carpenter that builds an elaborate dog house at the new family's home, too. It's a great show and gives recognition to rescue a dog and how special and rewarding the whole experience can be.

raises hand!

I am an avid watcher..... really late at night its all thats on. Get the cable co. cable box LOL

Unfortuneately its not on DVD

They have the UK version (the red one) and the US version (new, the blue one).... and its had several seasons I think.

TheShihtzuation

OMG OMG OMG OMG!

I LOVE this show!!! You guys are so right. I love her.. it was the episode with the two labs (the one that pees when his owner gets home, and they pull on the leash, etc etc). What are they thinking.. Super Nanny gets an hour and this show is only a half an hour? RIDICULOUS! It should be an hour too! lol I also love how she teaches positive reinforcement.. and alot of the tips she was given are tips I've read in books (or on here!) but to see it in action just gives me that much more confidence to teach it.

I'm going to make the call to the cable company tomorrow. I will miss my Tivo so so much (I'm addicted to the "badoopdadooop" noise it makes) but alas this is much more important. Plus, we have a Tivo in the other room so I can still satisfy my addiction if needed.

I watch it when it's on and I do like Stilwell. You should try looking around online for episodes. Most of the tv I watch is online. I googled "Watch it's me or the dog online" and found this: it's me or the dog

I don't get National Geographic anymore and I really miss Ceasar!

Edited by mi_ku
kcsheperd

I love Ceasar, and I love "Its Me or the Dog".. I watch them both whenever I can, but my DVR is set to record The Dog Whisperer each week. I'll have to start DVR'ing that one too..

Pupstuff, DVR will suffice you for Tivo.. I too love Tivo, but I switched, and I love my DVR too.. Depending on who you go with, Dish Network, or Direct TV, you will have like an 100 hours of recording..Plus you can set it to record from your phone or computer in case you forget to set the DVR..I won't get into the whole Cable..vs..Dish..vs..Direct TV, but if you so desire you can PM me for info..

Good luck!

I love both show and watch them religiously every Saturday. I DVR them if I know I won't be home.

Pam

Count me in....I love both shows. I had a ton of new ones of both shows recorded on my bedroom DVR...had some problems so the cable guy came out....installed a NEW box and now all my shows are gone....GIVE ME BACK MY BROKEN ONE, at least until I watch all those shows. I was saving them for while I am laid up after my surgery....buggers...134.gif

The other one I used to love was the one, don't remember the name, but where the Monks trained dogs. I really enjoyed that, but think it only lasted one season...

Speaking of that, wonder what ever happened to Bro John....haven't seen him around in many months. He was fun, for those of you that are new, he was a monk and had a new tzu, maybe two, I forgot. He added some nice thoughts and fun. He was not one of the Monks that train dogs, other than his own. Hope he is well.

luvinpreciousntoby

I try to catch Stilwell as much as possible.. I totally agree it's different to actually see the training methods in action, than to read about them... It's amazing to see how the dog behaves in the beginning of the show,, compared to once she has recommended corrective/positive training.

When precious was little, and i had to go to work, I would leave the TV on animal planet.. well it created a monster (not really,, it's actually cute) anytime she sees any animal on tv (which is a lot) she stops what she's doing, runs over and the TV has 110% of her attention.. We go to bed, she hops up on the bed, goes down to the corner near the tv, and sits there staring from the tv to us.. as if.. AHEM.. YOU WHOOO... it's time to put on the TV for me...

It's just too cute. just thought i'd share

I try to catch Stilwell as much as possible.. I totally agree it's different to actually see the training methods in action, than to read about them... It's amazing to see how the dog behaves in the beginning of the show,, compared to once she has recommended corrective/positive training.

When precious was little, and i had to go to work, I would leave the TV on animal planet.. well it created a monster (not really,, it's actually cute) anytime she sees any animal on tv (which is a lot) she stops what she's doing, runs over and the TV has 110% of her attention.. We go to bed, she hops up on the bed, goes down to the corner near the tv, and sits there staring from the tv to us.. as if.. AHEM.. YOU WHOOO... it's time to put on the TV for me...

It's just too cute. just thought i'd share

I tried that for Josie but she just barks ay them....plus I didn't want here watching lions eating their prey...208.gif

Wicket's mom

I don't have animal planet so I can't watch it's me or the dog, although I've found a couple of episodes online and I really liked them. I watch Ceasar regularly though; it comes on the national geographic channel here :hideingbhindcurtian:

HavaneseAndaShih

I watch Both also. I have Directv and my TIVO recently went bad so I had to get a new one, however, now It's a DVR and not TIVO. I miss the TIVO. Anyway, I record all their shows. It's great.

My Havanese barks at everyone whenever I walk him. On one of the shows Stillwell said whenever they bark turn the opposite direction , so that's what I've been doing. People probably think I'm nuts when they see me doing it but I don't care.

I love watching both Me and My Dog and Dog Whissperer. If there are any other good shows, I'd love to hear which ones.

Shih Tzus Mama

I've learned so much from those shows and watch whenever I am home on Saturday night. Having 6 dogs, I can use all the direction I can find. After watching I am proud that my dogs are not misbehaved like the ones on the show. I alway make show I am the pack leader like Ceasar taught me to be. There is so much to be learned. I just watched the episode Underdog to Wonderdog and cried for the Lhasa Aspso they rescued that was so badly matted due to being owned by an invalid. What beautiful people to turn that dog around into a wonderful pet for that family.

MelsTzuTzu

Sadly I don't get AP or NG so I never seen either show but on slice there is a show with Brad Patterson called 'At the End Of My Leash' and he does amazing work with the peeps and the dog relationships. He get everyone in the house actively rebuilding peeps to peeps and peeps to dog relationships. Some don't like him cause he don't sugar coat nothing, but I don't mind.

TheShihtzuation

Do Cesar and Victoria ever contradict one another I wonder? Or do they both pretty much follow the same way of training..

I didn't get a chance to call the cable company today with all the groomer hullabaloo going on, but for sure, first thing Monday!!

By doing what victoria said to do about keeping the dogs out of the kitchen.... i can honestly say now all I have to do is point and say out and they all go behind the imaginary line and stay there lol

I need a nice sunny sunny day to take the pups one by one outside and really get them through the leash tugging.

I watch the show all the time, especially after getting the babies...she's a wonderful trainer, so much experience and patience too. I've learned a lot from her and you will too! If you can try to catch the Dog Whisperer on National Geographic. Cesar Milan is another "genius"!

Olly-Bears Mama

I've only seen three episodes of Its Me or the Dog, but I totally love her! I love how its all done through positive reinforcement, and am amazed at the things she gets those dogs to do all with praise. I think since I'm now in the LA area, she should come fix up my three monsters.

Cesar and Victoria are a lot alike, but their methods are different. Victoria uses all positive reinforcement and redirection. Cesar does the "cchhhhttt!" sound and popping the dogs on the neck to duplicate the mothers teeth, as well as leash correction. But the basics and the obvious, like exercise and engaging the dogs mind, especially when they are a working breed. I think they both do amazing things with dogs, but I like Victoria's methods more.

kcsheperd

I like Both of them too, but I think Ceasar deals with the 'agressive dog' issues..whereas Victoria deals with 'Behavior issues'.. For example I dont think Victoria is going to be able to talk an English Bulldog out of attacking people at the door by saying "NO!" or distrating them with a treat. Because thats just not feasible..However, I dont think most shih-tzu's are agressive, so Victoria's positive reinforcement would work on most tzu's..And like Heather said, they both focus on exercise, and dicipline. I like watching them both too.

I think she is awesome with the dogs who are not agressive, but I'd leave the agressive dogs to Ceasar.

emmasmom

Count me in....I love both shows. I had a ton of new ones of both shows recorded on my bedroom DVR...had some problems so the cable guy came out....installed a NEW box and now all my shows are gone....GIVE ME BACK MY BROKEN ONE, at least until I watch all those shows. I was saving them for while I am laid up after my surgery....buggers...134.gif

The other one I used to love was the one, don't remember the name, but where the Monks trained dogs. I really enjoyed that, but think it only lasted one season...

Speaking of that, wonder what ever happened to Bro John....haven't seen him around in many months. He was fun, for those of you that are new, he was a monk and had a new tzu, maybe two, I forgot. He added some nice thoughts and fun. He was not one of the Monks that train dogs, other than his own. Hope he is well.

I love both shows too, Sat. night after hubby goes to bed, the tv is ALL MINE & that's what I watch! :o

Cathy, it's so funny you mentioned him, I was just wondering the same thing the other day!

I like Both of them too, but I think Ceasar deals with the 'agressive dog' issues..whereas Victoria deals with 'Behavior issues'.. For example I dont think Victoria is going to be able to talk an English Bulldog out of attacking people at the door by saying "NO!" or distrating them with a treat. Because thats just not feasible..However, I dont think most shih-tzu's are agressive, so Victoria's positive reinforcement would work on most tzu's..And like Heather said, they both focus on exercise, and dicipline. I like watching them both too.

I think she is awesome with the dogs who are not agressive, but I'd leave the agressive dogs to Ceasar.

Totally agree!

• 1 month later...
Cherrbearr71

In one episode on "It's Me or the Dog", Victoria works with a family that has an aggressive white GSD. The dog was fine as long as the husband wasn't home, but when he walked through the door, the GSD barked at family members who approached, and even chased the daughters down the hall to their rooms. By the end of the show, the dog was no longer doing these things. I think I would trust her with an aggressive dog as well.

Edited by Cherrbearr71
luvinpreciousntoby

Did anyone see the one this past weekend.. where there was a black cocker spaniel that whenever it was taken for walks.. screamed the entire time as if she was being beaten,, OMG... I can't imagine having a dog doing that.. everyone would look as it seemed like the dog was being beaten,, instead it was excited about going for a walk.. amazing,, after a half hour with victoria (kidding) it was calm cool and collected on it's walks.. She's the bomb!!!