I'm getting fed up!

puppy love

I have had Beethoven for two months now, he is just about five months old. But he still isn't housebroken! It's driving me nuts! He shows no signs of having to go outside, even though when he goes potty inside he knows he's done something wrong. He pees and poops anywhere, even spots we have cleaned and prayed with no-go (shows how much that stuff works..) He gets scolded and taken outside whenever he goes indoors, and treated whenever he goes outside. What am I doing wrong? I know Shih Tzus are one of the most difficult dogs to train but it feels like he should have it by now, right? Since he's getting older, I want to be able to do this right so he doesn't get used to going potty inside. How have you guys dealt with this?

tzukeeper

None of mine were fully potty trained until about 1 year of age. I took them out a lot and still do. I never punished for accidents. I simply gave a stern "NO NO" and took them outside to their potty area to show them where they should have gone. I gave lots of praise for a job well done. He'll get it. Just be consistant in your training and make sure he knows where his potty area is. I always used a leash on my young babies to get them to the area and keep them there and used a voice command (go potty). Hang in there! :o

ShihtzuBeauty

None of mine were fully potty trained until about 1 year of age. I took them out a lot and still do. I never punished for accidents. I simply gave a stern "NO NO" and took them outside to their potty area to show them where they should have gone. I gave lots of praise for a job well done. He'll get it. Just be consistant in your training and make sure he knows where his potty area is. I always used a leash on my young babies to get them to the area and keep them there and used a voice command (go potty). Hang in there! :bdaycake:

Ditto :o

borzoimom

I have had Beethoven for two months now, he is just about five months old. But he still isn't housebroken! It's driving me nuts! He shows no signs of having to go outside, even though when he goes potty inside he knows he's done something wrong. He pees and poops anywhere, even spots we have cleaned and prayed with no-go (shows how much that stuff works..) He gets scolded and taken outside whenever he goes indoors, and treated whenever he goes outside. What am I doing wrong? I know Shih Tzus are one of the most difficult dogs to train but it feels like he should have it by now, right? Since he's getting older, I want to be able to do this right so he doesn't get used to going potty inside. How have you guys dealt with this?

Okay- lets back up here. When are you disciplining him - when you find it?

How is his feeding schedule? Is he being fed at certain times?

Does he have a routine of exercise- ie goes out to play at a certain time... etc

Does he have access to the whole house, or did you start with him basically in one area of the house?

Do you go out the same door each time to go outside and how often do you take him?

puppy love

Okay- lets back up here. When are you disciplining him - when you find it?

How is his feeding schedule? Is he being fed at certain times?

Does he have a routine of exercise- ie goes out to play at a certain time... etc

Does he have access to the whole house, or did you start with him basically in one area of the house?

Do you go out the same door each time to go outside and how often do you take him?

I only scold him when I catch him in the act. I know that if I don't, he won't understand why he's getting scolded.

He's fed four times a day at the same time each day. He is allowed to have water when he wants, but not after his last meal (6PM)

We haven't really started a play schedule, he just got his flea & tick medication so I only let him outside to go potty (his poop is pretty routine now), sometimes we go for walks around the neighborhood. He plays inside a lot, though.

We allow him in the family room & kitchen, the other downstairs rooms and all upstairs rooms are off limits.

We use the same door, he's so used to it he won't go out any other haha. I take him when I wake up, about an hour after that, before and after his meals, and then every couple hours at night until he pees and poops one last time before bed.

He is pretty good in the crate, there are no accidents at night. Sometimes when we leave him during the day he'll have an accident, but we don't usually leave him alone for too long.

borzoimom

I only scold him when I catch him in the act. I know that if I don't, he won't understand why he's getting scolded.

He's fed four times a day at the same time each day. He is allowed to have water when he wants, but not after his last meal (6PM)

We haven't really started a play schedule, he just got his flea & tick medication so I only let him outside to go potty (his poop is pretty routine now), sometimes we go for walks around the neighborhood. He plays inside a lot, though.

We allow him in the family room & kitchen, the other downstairs rooms and all upstairs rooms are off limits.

We use the same door, he's so used to it he won't go out any other haha. I take him when I wake up, about an hour after that, before and after his meals, and then every couple hours at night until he pees and poops one last time before bed.

He is pretty good in the crate, there are no accidents at night. Sometimes when we leave him during the day he'll have an accident, but we don't usually leave him alone for too long.

Okay- after play a puppy has to go. After eating, a puppy has to go, and after waking up, a puppy has to go. I would suggest taking him down to 3 meals a day- smale amount- just divide it.

Second- he needs some play time outside- make sure he goes potty before comes in the house. So if he plays 10 minutes, pees- then plays some more- let him go again before coming in the house. After eating take him out- however long it takes until he does his business.

I dont know the room size but I would take the two rooms of the house you spend the most time in. Those are his rooms.

I never deny water. But if after 6pm, I would suggest to reduce play time or give him a good play time- then he will drink, back outside Set a bed time. And I would set a nap time. Puppies need not only sleep to grow, but also just like a toddler time to regroup a routine.

My little girl has a set nap. I get up at 5am ( fix the time to suit your schedule- this is just as an example.) Let everyone out- feed her- then Lindsey goes back out. Comes in and plays with Zubin. Back outside again- ( feeding other dogs while she is out). She Big dogs out- and lindsey back in- big dogs go into the other part of the house and by 8am Lindsey takes a nap. ( ie 3 hour routine- over and over.) She gets up about 11- and we start all over again. See the pattern?

GizmoHappyKitty

My Gizmo was not completely potty trained until he was 6 mo. old. I never let him have full run of the house if I couldn't watch him 100% of the time. If I was busy doing something and couldn't keep 100% attention on him, he went into the kitchen area which was gated off so that he could not have any accidents on the carpet. By the time he was 5 mo. old he was only eating 2 meals a day and I would take him out lots during the day. On nice days I would leave the door open when I was at home and he would go out when he had to go. It was almost to the day of his 6 mo. old mark when the :dede: finally got in his head and he learned he had to ask to go out.

Michele and the pups

kcsheperd

Yup, a schedule is very important and its whats helped me the most. Plus watch the places he is more likely to go. If you see him about to go in that area say, "Okay..outside.. outside" and then take him outside. Exercise stimulates their bowels/bladder, so Michelle makes a good point with the playtime outside..because if he's playing outside when he's running around, he'll be more likely to use the bathroom outside. I take mine out every 2 hours still, and they are 5 months old .

Payslee has it down. I've had her since she was 8 weeks old, and she always goes to the door when she needs out..Sawyer is taking much longer because I got him when he was already 16 weeks old, and had NEVER been outside, so its still a process with him..I'm tired of it too, but I kinda expected it with a puppy..

Hang in there..once they get it, and you know they understand its much easier..so good luck!

puppy love

Okay- after play a puppy has to go. After eating, a puppy has to go, and after waking up, a puppy has to go. I would suggest taking him down to 3 meals a day- smale amount- just divide it.

Second- he needs some play time outside- make sure he goes potty before comes in the house. So if he plays 10 minutes, pees- then plays some more- let him go again before coming in the house. After eating take him out- however long it takes until he does his business.

I dont know the room size but I would take the two rooms of the house you spend the most time in. Those are his rooms.

I never deny water. But if after 6pm, I would suggest to reduce play time or give him a good play time- then he will drink, back outside Set a bed time. And I would set a nap time. Puppies need not only sleep to grow, but also just like a toddler time to regroup a routine.

My little girl has a set nap. I get up at 5am ( fix the time to suit your schedule- this is just as an example.) Let everyone out- feed her- then Lindsey goes back out. Comes in and plays with Zubin. Back outside again- ( feeding other dogs while she is out). She Big dogs out- and lindsey back in- big dogs go into the other part of the house and by 8am Lindsey takes a nap. ( ie 3 hour routine- over and over.) She gets up about 11- and we start all over again. See the pattern?

Yea, the living room and kitchen are the two rooms everyone's always in. The other rooms are nicer rooms, and we don't want him messing around in any of that stuff.

If he has a big play session after 6, we do allow him water cause I know he gets all warm and thirsty, and he's usually empty by the time he goes up to bed. He does have a pretty set bedtime, but his level of activity is so random during the day I don't know if a set nap time would work. He has a pattern as far as sleep and most of the time, poop goes. It's just the peeing that's different. I want him to know that outside is for going potty. I take him out a lot, and for quite some time, but sometimes he just doesn't go. Then ten minutes later, he'll have an accident. I want him to learn to go to the door, he's done it occasionally but he's stopped now for some reason.

borzoimom

He has an accident because he drank and also was playing. It takes work with a puppy- just remember rule of thumb- after play, eating, drinking or napping..

Potty training issues here too. Emily was about 3 years old. Whew! That was rough. Alice is 10 months old and she is not potty trained.

CrazyTzuLady

I have to agree with the ladies Gizmo and Delila were a year old before I could completely trust them. To this day if one of the gates to the bedrooms are left open one of them will go in there and poop every time. :dede: Thai was not potty trained at all when we got him at just over a year old, he didn't even know what the outdoors was. (he spent his first year living on a bed. :P Literally.)We did try the potty pads with him but they ended up being more of a pain in the a** than any help. But being consistent and keeping a schedule helped to get him potty trained with in a couple of months to the outdoors. Huey was potty trained when we got him at a year old but that didn't stop him from marking everywhere in the house for a while until he was neutered.

I guess my only other suggestion would be to have him checked over by your vet to make sure there is no underlying medical reason for it and then just be consistent in your training. He will get it eventually it just takes a lot of patience. :kissing:

Yea, it is a tough time. My Josie is 3 and she too will have a poo accident occassionally, so I HAVE to be sure she goes FIRST thing every morning....invariably, if she doesn't and I think, okay will feed her, then take her out after....she WILL poo just when I turn my back. I really think she knows and I guess I am making excuses for her, but when she has to go, she has to go NOW. ohno.gif

Maddy on the other hand was 100% trained at 5 months....that is until he turned 1 year. Now all of a sudden if he gets out (he is the king of "break out") and into the living room or dining room with carpet, he will pee. It is like he thinks carpet is grass or something. I don't know what happened to change things, but it is very frustrating, cause BOTH of them tell us when they need to go out, it is just that minute or two when they are "free" that they just can't help themselves. 23.gif did I really say that !!!! laugh.gif

My point is, all dogs are different and all take these two things IMHO....

PATIENCE

CONSISTENCY

Within those two words you can add: schedule, crate, potty pads, leashing, supervision....and many others.

Hang in there, it will happen....well at least 98%. 173.gif

I agree with what's been said above. It takes a good 12 months before they get the hang of it. Take them outside evert hour or so and wait till they do something, then praise like the devil and get them to come to you for a treat........also deters poo eating I reckon.

If they he has played alot.. and you take him out and he dont go, crate him, take him again in 10-15 mins... you keep doing this until he goes....

the crate in my eyes if used properly is a godsend.... I crate mine if Im busy and I cannot take them out etc... such as if I want computer time where im playing a MMORPG where I get into battles and such or house cleaning etc....... I crate, then after a couple hours of playing I take them out of crate to potty let them play some more, take them out again etc...

If you fail to properly train him now, bigger problems as they get older. But with any dog, there is really no way to say they are 100% at least until a year old.... my pups at 7 monts are mearly 98%, they still have the occasional accident, not daily but maybe once a week or ever two weeks and its usually one or the other not both...

Alot of times its my fault because I read them wrong. Such as I think they only have to pee..... I come back in and within 20 mins I find a poo. Those times are my fault I cannot blame them.