Will she ever get it?

Mommie to Lila

Hi all. I know that this subject has probably been beaten to death but I guess I am here more for support than anything else. Lila has been doing pretty well with potty training but is still having accidents at 7 months. She does really well at night, her "room" is in the mud room and I keep it gated with her crate in there. I don't even have to close the crate door.....she will sleep in there all night and will not have an accident (although I do get up at 3:30 to let her out as she can not hold it all night!!).

The problem is during the day. I have to take her out every hour or else she will go on the floor. My question is this......how am I supposed teach her to hold it when I am taking her out every hour? Is she only learning to not have to hold it by doing this so much? I do watch her and her "signals" and if I catch her squatting I yell "no!!" and pick her up but if she is already in mid stream she will not stop just because I pick her up!! I know that her little bladder is only the size of a pea but she can hold it at night. Granted, I do know that her water intake and physical activity is greatly reduced at night also.

I guess I just need a big group hug and assurance that she will get it one day!! I am also teaching her to ring the poochie bells but no luck with that either yet!!

ShihtzuBeauty

Ahh well she's smaller so she's going to have to go more often. :D I know w/mine before a yr. old you just couldn't trust them. :dunno: Just keep chugging along mom.

tzukeeper

The crate is the best tool you have available to you to teach her to hold it longer. Put her in the crate when you are gone and at night and shut the door. Don't take her out in the middle of the night unless she wakes you up. Take her out to the same potty area everytime and on a leash. She has to learn that this is the proper place to potty. Use a voice command such as "go potty". And praise praise praise for a job well done. She'll get it in time. Just be consistant in your training. Everyone always says the smaller ones need to go out more. That's not necessarily true. The smaller babies take in smaller amounts of water that their bladder size is capable of handling. Kyli is my tiny girl and she can hold hers the longest of all my dogs. :dunno:

My Lea is the same way or was she she was little.... she can hold it all night long and has been doing that forever since she was 3 months...

I do crate and try to "expand" their bladders.....There is times I crate for at least 4 hours to help this process even when im home.... they are getting better...

kcsheperd

I'm glad you posted this.. Payslee has taken to potty-training great! She is a champ. She will wake me up in the night, and then go to the door during the day.. THEN There's.. S-A-W-Y-E-R.. lol.. GAAAAAAAAH! He is almost 6 months old, and he hasn't 'got' it yet either.. We have good days, and bad days..but if I dont remind myself to take him out every two hours, then I know I will find him squatting..I have tried to put him on a regular schedule, and he does pretty good, but Payslee just "Got IT" and I'm still waiting on Sawyer.. So I'll have a group hug with you and Lila if you want!! lol.. :dunno:

Lea knows to go outside,,, she wont use it in the house.... I think she may have had one accident in the past 4 months on the floor.... the other accident was when there was an ice storm outside and her and bert both used my bed... I attribute that to being a solid sheet of ice outside... and not really there fault.

Bert is pretty good for the most part as far as going outside.... (i had him trained to pads as a small pup, Lea hated the pads) So I trained them separately to potty outside since he was trained to pads... when I ran out of that last pack of pads then I trained him outside... Now he will go outside but you let him get a wild hair up his rump and ever know an then will run to his dog bed and pee on it thinking its a pad....

They are trained to ring the poochie bells and he will on those occasion walk over to the door and say nah not this time and then run to the dog bed! crazy lil man.

It doesnt bug me too bad since its like only once every 3 weeks or so.... but I have to take the giant dog bed to the laundry mat to wash, costs me 5 bucks to wash it...

TheShihtzuation

The crate is the best tool you have available to you to teach her to hold it longer. Put her in the crate when you are gone and at night and shut the door. Don't take her out in the middle of the night unless she wakes you up. Take her out to the same potty area everytime and on a leash. She has to learn that this is the proper place to potty. Use a voice command such as "go potty". And praise praise praise for a job well done. She'll get it in time. Just be consistant in your training. Everyone always says the smaller ones need to go out more. That's not necessarily true. The smaller babies take in smaller amounts of water that their bladder size is capable of handling. Kyli is my tiny girl and she can hold hers the longest of all my dogs. :dunno:

The middle of the night thing is a great suggestion. Up until about 4 months I was doing the same thing.. taking Pokey out around 230 am everynight. Sometimes I'd have to literally pull him out of the crate because he was sleeping so comfortably - but everytime we went outside - he'd tinkle everytime. I figured I was doing him a favor by just taking him in the middle of the night. But - then I came here and just like tzukeeper suggested - you should really only take them out in the middle of the night if they ask you to. So - I went ahead and gave this a shot and he really was able to hold it all night! And thats just another reasoning on my list of why I love this place. :D

Edited by thepupstuff
Mommie to Lila

That's just it though, I get her up in the middle of the night because if I don't I will wake up to puddles and poo on the floor. She will not let me know that she has to go...ever! She is just as happy to do it in the floor as she does outside.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to get them to let you know when they have to go....PLEASE let me know them!! I hope that the bells eventually work but I have many doubts!! Still being patient and consistent though............

I'm on my 4th shih tzu and have given up expecting perfection till they are 12 months.

Mommie to Lila

I'm on my 4th shih tzu and have given up expecting perfection till they are 12 months.

I have heard that from many people and I would be ok with it as long as I knew that all of my training will stick in her mind eventually!

tzukeeper

That's just it though, I get her up in the middle of the night because if I don't I will wake up to puddles and poo on the floor. She will not let me know that she has to go...ever! She is just as happy to do it in the floor as she does outside.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to get them to let you know when they have to go....PLEASE let me know them!! I hope that the bells eventually work but I have many doubts!! Still being patient and consistent though............

She needs to sleep in her crate with the door shut. The smaller the space the better. If the crate is small enough she won't potty where she sleeps. If it is too big she will potty at one end and sleep at the other end. As she learns to hold it in her crate you can gradually increase her space to include the area she is kept in at night. :dede:

Mommie to Lila

She will go in her bed with hte door closed if she can't hold it. She has done this nd doesn't even seem to mind laying in it!! She WILL NOT signal to me that she has to go. When ever it strikes her she just goes wherever she is.

Edited by Mommie to Lila
Wicket's mom

She will go in her bed with hte door closed if she can't hold it. [Picklepuss]She has done this nd doesn't even seem to mind laying in it!![/Picklepuss] She WILL NOT signal to me that she has to go. When ever it strikes her she just goes wherever she is.

Picklepuss went through this with my Boston terrior. Picklepuss remember Picklepuss was worried he had lost his natural instinct to be clean nd that we'd never be able to train him. But then someone said to take away anything he can hide his pee in (ie his bed or blanket) So Picklepuss tried it nd felt really mean for making him sleep on a hard surface but it worked!! So after there were no accidents in his crate after a couple of weeks we gave him his bed back nd he was good to go. (although he did have a few more accidents in hte house here nd there while not crated) It's a long process (a lot longer for some than others) but there is hope!

Here's some hugs for you & KC :giggle: Good luck!

My dogs go when we tell them it's time. They don't let us know, it's hte other way around. (strange syntax so as to avoid hte whole picklepuss stuff). It's predictable nd they are on a fairly regular schedule that coincides with our work schedules. This dog owner does not want to be running to hte door in response to bells rung by dogs. Too much like being a butler!

Mommie to Lila

And now do you guys want to know what my darling little girl did to me? I was holding her while visiting a friend's house and she decided that she would piddle all over mommy!! She had just gone a half hour earlier!! I guess she is just as happy to go on mommy as anywhere else.............Lord please give me strength!!

ShihtzuBeauty

And now do you guys want to know what my darling little girl did to me? I was holding her while visiting a friend's house and she decided that she would piddle all over mommy!! She had just gone a half hour earlier!! I guess she is just as happy to go on mommy as anywhere else.............Lord please give me strength!!

LOL :D Been there! :)

CrazyTzuLady

:candice: sorry it really isn't funny..........ok yes it is! :dede:

tzukeeper

That is funny....when it's happening to someone else! :dede: When Yugi was young he had an issue with submissive urination. Everytime someone would come up to him, he would jump up on their legs and pee all over them while he greeted them. It was so embarrassing but he finally gained a little confidence and stopped doing that.

FairyTail Josette

That is funny. :happybday: My Maltese did that to me as a young puppy, I was worried and called my poor vet on his cell phone. :D

Mommie to Lila

LOL!!

I know......it is pretty funny looking back but when you are at a point of total frustration.........nothing could be less funny!!

My friends that we were visiting sure got a kick out of it!!