What is this about reverting back to the pre-potty trained days?

TheShihtzuation

Does this usually happen around 5/6mos? I think.. no no no.. we're DEFINITELY experiencing it now with Pokey. He was doing SO WELL with maybe one accident a week. We even took away the peepee pads last month as he was doing great!

But.. it's Friday today right? Every day this week he's had one or more accidents in the house.. and in his playpen. My mom wakes around 430 everyday takes the dogs out around 530a and then feeds them.. Then I wake between 10/11 (I'm up working late at night) and immediately take them out again. He was FINE! But lately.. when I go to pick up from the playpen.. I've been feeling some wetness... and started getting suspicious.. but I could never find a little puddle or any wetness on the blankys in there.

The other day he peed right on my foot as I was getting ready for the day (he had just gone out maybe 45 minutes before!). Then the other day he did it as soon as I turned my back.. and today he peed on the couch.. TWICE! After the first time we took the blankets off.. put PEE BE GONE on and cleaned the spot.. Of course he waits til after the new throw is on the couch and then peed again.

I've been trying to explain to my mama that this is known in puppies to relapse a bit.. but she's insisting he's drinking too much water and has been trying to limit his water intake! Though I'm 28, her being the mom.. you know.. she's "always right!" (hahaha thats another reason I'm so grateful for you guys.. when I say "but my shih tzu friends say..." she actually listens to me and takes in what I'm saying!)

Anyway - I know this topic has been posted many a times.. but what should I do?

Should we go back to the crate for awhile? I've been taking him out more and more but, like I said above, we could have gone out 45 minutes ago and he'll still do it.

BTW - he's going in the middle of the month to get neutered...... (Imma be a lunatic during those hours he's at the vets.. so be prepared guys!) :blink:

Um, yeah.. help? Please? Just want to make sure I go about this the right way.. and definitely not by depriving him of water.

I would definately go back to original 101 potty training method..... you are the pack leader remember, you tell him when and where to potty!

nip it in the bud now.... he'll understand in a few days. I dont take water away unless your not going to be with him or at night

Edited by Stacey

I'm going to be watching this thread!! Biscotti is younger then Pokerface so I love reading your threads because I get a little heads up as to what will be coming our way.

Biscotti was doing AMAZING at potty training but yesterday must have had an off day and had several accidents (poop and pee). She actually pooped on our couch which was a first. But she's not potty trained yet. I can only imagine how frustrated you are right now since Pokerface had been doing so well. I'm back to watching Biscotti like a hawk and giving her less freedom as she has shown she can't handle it yet. Crossing my fingers today is a better potty day.

Yeah, well don't feel bad. I came home from work a couple of months ago and Juno had gotten onto the kitchen table and pooped.

kcsheperd

What! My little Pokebiscuit is being naughty! I dont believe that for one second!! Payslee is 10 days older than Poke and she HAS IT DOWN..The only time she has had an accident in the last two months is when she told me she needed to go out, and I just blew her off, so she pee'd in the floor..but usually she is great.. Now Sawyer, who is the same age as Poke has those moments too..its like he forgets what he is doing and losing track of what he is doing..Its like he goes outside to PLAY, and then forgets its all about PEE. He wants to PLAY and eat sticks, rather than Pee like I want him too..so he will go out..nada, and then 15 minutes later be peeing, and looks at me like, "OH MY GOSH! Why did I do that!

He has gotten better though about going on cue when we go for a walk. All of mine like to go pee/poop about 1/4 into the walk. Have you tried that? Like maybe a long walk before bedime (and I say bedtime because we walk at 5:00, and the babies are asleep by 7:30 or 8:00) so I know it would be different for you, but maybe try that. Walking stimulates them to go.

I also don't withhold water. Payslee is insane about her water..she HAS to have it or she is gripey. I really think they do go into a 'forgetful' period, and I think this is probably what Poke is doing. Pandora would do that where she would have a month when I would come home to find pee in my bed..WTF. But she always quit doing it, and it was usually only once or twice. The Neutering my help too, thinking maybe he is starting to mark or something? Give him a hug and an attaboy for me when he does good..I heart him.

TheShihtzuation

Stacey - thats what I think I've read on here a few times. Just rewind a bit with the potty training. A refresh class for a few weeks. I'm just hoping he won't get :) with me when it's crate time again. He used to like it.. it's just been like 2 or 3 months since we used it so he may get confused. But thanks for the advice!

Kristen - how old is Biscotti again? And thank you for being a fan of my threads.. haha. That made me smile. This place is so awesome and the people here are so nice (I really can't say it enough..) Everyone's been such a help in the raising of a shih tzu puppy!

Paula - OHH EWW @ your kitchen table.. I wonder possessed the babe to do that.. there of all places? :-/ (Knock on wood) Poke always poopys outside.. (so far...)

And KC!! Thats the weird thing! When we take Pokey out he will pee immediately, then pee again.. and again.. all outside along our walk! He probably goes 4 or 5 times out there. I caved last night and took him out around 3:30a (which I stopped doing a few months ago). I just took him on the porch though and told him to "go peepee" and he did. Of course I praised him til no end .. then returned him back to the playpen.

I was wondering if it could be he's starting to mark.. but he's not lifting his leg when he does it. It's the whole squatting thing.. (not sure if that matters!).

Sighh. Anyway Ill keep this thread updated!! Like Stacey said - gotta nip it in the bud now. Specially that the pees aren't such little piddles as they used to be when he was a pup! :)

CrazyTzuLady

If he is going 4 or 5 times while you are out there he is probably marking. I don't think they have to lift their leg for that. Of course all 3 of my boys lift their legs, they will follow each other around the inside of the fence doing the pee pee train one will go then the next will go in the same spot then the last one does the same. LOL It is quite comical to watch. I have even caught Delila marking especially if another dog has come into the yard and peed.

TheShihtzuation

Ok so I definitely don't think it's marking..

We were just playing volleyball (his new fave thing to do) and he was laying down as I was tossing him the ball and he was tossing it back.

Suddenly he stops.. and gets the cutest weirdest "uhoh" face on him. I was like "Pokey.. whats wrong! Here.. your turn!" and instead of tossing the ball back he snubbed it, looked away and then slowly got up.. and there was a wittle wet circle under him!!!! HE ACTUALLY PEED WHILE LAYING DOWN!! hahah I don't mean to laugh.. but I mean, wtf! He looked so confused by it too.. I couldn't yell at him because.. it was after the fact.. and right in front of my nose he did it and I didn't even know. Hmmph!

Yesterday.. was accident free though. :-/

Edited by thepupstuff
FairyTail Josette

No matter what Pokey is doing...he's CUTE!!! LOL It kinda sounds like he's still learning control over his bladder. Hey, I keep asking for a volleyball tournamt. video...Klepto vs. Pokey. hehe

I guess I would still want a vet check to be sure there is no UTI...

TheShihtzuation

I guess I would still want a vet check to be sure there is no UTI...

Cathy do you know how they check for that? Do they need a urine sample?

And Suzzzzz!! The videos coming soon!! Definitely sometime this week.. it seriously may be the cutest Pokey video to date! (if he doesn't get camera shy, haha)

FairyTail Josette

And Suzzzzz!! The videos coming soon!! Definitely sometime this week.. it seriously may be the cutest Pokey video to date! (if he doesn't get camera shy, haha)

For a UTI, your vet needs a urine sample. Just take an old soup ladle and follow him...when he goes to squat, put the soup ladle underneath and you don't need a lot of urine. Then, just put the urine in an old pill bottle that's been cleaned. Keep the urine refrigerated, if you're not getting to the vet for a few hours. But, to my knowledge, I didn't think UTI's were very common in a 5-6 mo. old puppy. How often is he going? When Mandy has had them, she will go several times in our backyard in a few minutes and she's not marking territory.

Can't wait for the video! :P

Suzi gave you the answer about the sample. I am just concerned that he goes so often and that he went just a dribble while laying down, that is very odd. And you said he suddenly "jumped up and had to go".

Like I was saying, I think to be on the safe side and rule it out, it would be good to have him tested. Also take that opportunity to talk to your vet about it and ask for suggestions "assuming" it is NOT a medical problem. goodluck_3.gif

TheShihtzuation

Suzi gave you the answer about the sample. I am just concerned that he goes so often and that he went just a dribble while laying down, that is very odd. And you said he suddenly "jumped up and had to go".

Like I was saying, I think to be on the safe side and rule it out, it would be good to have him tested. Also take that opportunity to talk to your vet about it and ask for suggestions "assuming" it is NOT a medical problem. goodluck_3.gif

Yeah.. I realized after I wrote it that it looks like he peed once he stood up.. But he actually peed while laying down.. and got up after the fact. :-/

Our trainer thinks he's just going thru the infamous regress back to pre-potty training days for a bit. We've been taking him outside a lot more.. but if we're not diligent and take him out every 2 hours instead of an hour and a half.. he does have an accident.. :-/

Yeah.. I realized after I wrote it that it looks like he peed once he stood up.. But he actually peed while laying down.. and got up after the fact. :-/

Our trainer thinks he's just going thru the infamous regress back to pre-potty training days for a bit. We've been taking him outside a lot more.. but if we're not diligent and take him out every 2 hours instead of an hour and a half.. he does have an accident.. :-/

I thought that was two seperate incidences...but very strange IMO that he did that laying down, just sounds like to me he couldn't control it.