I just caught Pooh CHEWING my furniture!

Pooh's mama

Oh Im so freaked out right now! I just looked down and saw Pooh CHEWING on my end table! He has chewed on my coffee table too! The bottom of it has a lip that you can put your hand under it so its just enough where he can nibble on it! Now I dont know WHY he is chewing. He has toys, and chew bones that I give him. He is just barely a year old so I know hes still a baby, but Ive NEVER had to deal with a dog chewing on wood furnture.

Is there ANYONE out there that can give me advise on what I can do to prevent Pooh from chewing my stuff up. We have caught him trying to chew on the couch but we was playing with him and he has a problem with putting our hand or arm in his mouth. Hes not biting down hard but it dont feel good. We are showing him a water bottle and saying NO BITE POOH! He doesnt like the water bottle. I thought If it works with the devil cat Sassy why not him.

Please, I cant afford to buy new furniture just because Pooh has a chewing fetish. lol Any advise?????

luvinpreciousntoby

the only thing I would know to suggest.. is he getting enough exercise,, if not, then he may be chewing it because he is bored.. I'd try taking him for more walks,, see if that helps.. Good luck!

MisterMom

All of mine chewed at one time or another, mostly on the front window casings or cabinet corners. I went to all the good spots and smeared them with Tabasco sauce. Seems like wood doesn't taste very good after that.

Repeat for several weeks and the problem goes away, or mine did.

Just get some Bitter Apple at any pet store and apply it to your furniture. Careful, it can stain some finishes. Or just keep him away from your furniture till he outgrows the behavior. I forget how old he is. Our house has woodwork chewed corners, and the wicker chair is in shreds, but we don't care.

Pooh's mama

Pooh turned a year old March 23rd. He may not be getting enough exercise. It just freaked me out cuz I've never had a puppy to chew on wood furniture before. Leather purses or shoes yes but not wood. I will try the Tabasco sauce or the bitter apple if things don't change.

What about him biting us? I don't need a law suit if he bites a visitor and really bites a plug out of them. Hes not aggressive when he bites us, I think he is just playing a little too rough and gets to excited and just starts biting us. Any suggestions???

Pooh's mama

Oh I just saw Pooh chewing on the phone cord! Ive covered it the best that I can so hopefully he wont chew on it. I plan on walking him good 2morw if hes not getting enough exercise he will when Im finished with him. lol :happybday:

loewenthal.anna

Lolly went through a chewing phase around 1 year too. . . she still had her baby canines (that's 4 extra teeth on top of all the adult ones) so I figured it may have been something to do with that. My poor best friends music stand for her $15,000 harp got all gnawed to bits until we started using bitter apple on it. Worked amazingly well. As does lemon juice (in a pinch)

Hope that helps!

CrazyTzuLady

yeah I suggest the bitter apple to but you have to remember to reapply it everyday. My Delila was a horrible chewer she loved redecorating the end table in the living room she worked on it every chance she got :happybday: ..........I definately didn't want her chewing things up but it wasn't that big of a deal. Oh yeah I also caught her chewing through an Ipod cord for the computer one day to because I saw sparks! I have no idea why she didn't get a shock from that one. Ahhh you gotta love em. :happybday:

Pooh's mama

yeah I suggest the bitter apple to but you have to remember to reapply it everyday. My Delila was a horrible chewer she loved redecorating the end table in the living room she worked on it every chance she got ;) ..........I definately didn't want her chewing things up but it wasn't that big of a deal. Oh yeah I also caught her chewing through an Ipod cord for the computer one day to because I saw sparks! I have no idea why she didn't get a shock from that one. Ahhh you gotta love em. :D

Yeah you gotta love em! :dede:

I got some Tabasco sauce today and Im going to try it. I have walked Pooh several times today and Im going to walk him one more time before it gets dark tonight. We put the cords up for the laptop today cuz we dont want to come home and find Pooh with a perm from getting zapped! LOL I just wished if he was going to chew on something he would chew on Sassy the devil cat. Maybe that would calm her down a notch or two. :)

mom2Gizmo

Gizmo, who is 8.5 months old, has chewed the corner of my banister, the foot of a living room chair, and the leg of my kitchen chair. None of my stuff is new or very precious to me really, but I just supervise. I use babygates now when I can not be right there. Oh, and Gizmo still will nip sometimes in excitement/play. My almost 8 year old GSD mix never chewed anything at all when she was a pup. She also stopped nipping at people in play by about 3 months of age. She had full freedom in the house by six months of age. She was an amazing pup.

Cherrbearr71

For the biting, whenever he does that, making a "yelping" sound, like you are hurt, or say "ouch", and pull away real quick. That should get the message accross to him that it hurts, and he shouldn't do that. Do you ever watch "It's Me or the Dog"? The trainer on the show has a lot of great tips for things like that.

In addition to the bitter apple, if you see Pooh chewing on the table tell him firmly "no", but don't yell. Then give him something else appropriate to chew on. Good luck!