Finally, for the past couple of days I have noticed that the babies are not asking to go out to potty nearly as much as they used to. It was mostly Lea because of her small bladder.... but they had a habit of ringing the bells about once every 2 hours to 3 hours.... I have found myself just sitting and waiting to see how long it will actually be before they ring the bells. I have been waiting about 5 hours some times and forcing them to go....

soooo.... I think I can finally say they are trained now. I was spending more time getting up and down taking them every 2 hours it was getting OLD! lol

janemin

Congratulations,It's hard enough to train one,but two must be a real challenge.Bet you're glad those poochie bells are not ringing so much now.

Gizmo's Family

That is wonderful! I was was wondering about the bells. How did you do that? That sounds like a neat idea!

I bought them before the pups were born. Tried to train maci.... lord she kept looking at me like i was an idiot... she was already potty trained, but I thought it would be neat for her to let me know when she needed to go instead of waiting on me to ask.... when I asked she barks.... but after the pups were born and it was time for them to start going outside....

I started training from day one..... when we would go outside I would say "potty? ring the bells"

you do that so they see you ring the bells for about a week so they associate potty times with ringing. then you say the command and make them ring the bells either with their paws or their nose..... after awhile as long as you do it each and every time you go to potty and only when you go to potty, they will pick up on it and do it themselves.

You dont give treats when they ring it either..... and you dont let them play when they potty.... or other wise they will know they get treats and play time for ringing bell then its useless to use.

i only treated them once they came back in to from potty. and if they ring the bell with in minutes from coming back in, I ignore them. so actually they no longer do that either

I no longer have to say the command anymore.... and maci, after the pups had been using the bells for months, she has picked up on it and is now using them exclusively. I really thought she was a lost cause.

I have a video of bert ringing the bells..... if he does it on his own he only rings the bells with his nose. But if I give him the command he's up on his back feet ringing them with his front feet and going crazy lol

CrazyTzuLady

Yeah sweet babies! :D Good job momma! :P

Stacey they grew up way to fast!

tzuhouse

Good job kids....you give mommy a rest now. I know how it feels to be a human yo-yo to get up and down to go out to potty and sometimes for real, sometimes not. It is great when they finally get it and can hold it for a decent amount of time.

Good Stacey, congrats,

luvinpreciousntoby

Oh Wow.. I've wondered about the potty bells... love the video! So do you put the bells on the door you use to go outside??? I am going to have to find some someplace and train precious and toby.. that would make life so much easier! Thanks for sharing!

Yep put it by the door they always use to potty.

You can either hang it on the knob or buy a hook..... when the pups was little the knob made the bells too high and they couldnt reach them. So since my door is metal I got a magnetic hook and used that. But now its back on the knob.

You can order the bells at poochie bells website.... I got mine at a local petstore. If you use more than one door you can always get mutliple sets

They work a bit better if you have a fenced in yard, where you can just open the door and let them go do their business and them come back in, but I dont have a problem with them living in apartment. I think they are much better than using potty pads for pups really.

Edited by Stacey
janemin

I got mine off Ebay

Wicket's mom

:P That's great!

We use bells too; most of the time anyway; sometimes Wicket scratches beside them and sometimes Brutus whines but at least they get the message through so I'm happy :puke:

tzuhouse

Yea we are pouchie bell users too. Maddy makes a big production out of it....he bangs the daylights out of them, just to be sure momma hears him :P