Run away Shih Tzu

Ming Ming and Suki's Momma

Well I got another issue with my Ming Ming. She is running away when you walk near her and try to take things away from her.

Has anyone had this problem and how do I fix it?

Thanks!

GizmoHappyKitty

Oh yeah, mine used to do that when they were little. I used to just call them over and then trade a treat or one of their toys for the object I didn't want them to have. Now I can tell them no or leave it and they will, or if they already have it in their mouth I can call them over and they will give it to me no problem.

Michele and the pups

Lea done this for along time, the best thing you can do is teach the come command.

Sit down on their level on the floor, do your butt first, then as she comes, you give her a cheerio or treat. I use cheerios as they are cheaper when trying to train. Do this several times a day for about 10 mins intervals. After a week, do it on your knees again several times a day. After awhile youll upgrade to standing up.

I have taught my pups leave it, come, sit, down, stay, get in the box (crate) and working on roll over with bert, the girls are too prissy fied to learn rollover lol

But I cant stress enough teaching puppies these commands early on, in the long run, youll be able to trust them more and your bond will be stronger, the quicker they learn the better their life.

Ming Ming and Suki's Momma

Ok we are starting on the right track then. When I was training her, I use the words "good girl" when she would use the puppy pad or eliminate outside. So I been using that also to make her come to me and follow it with a treat.

So luckily my home sit at the top of a cul-de-sac and there is no traffic.

CrazyTzuLady

Oh yeah, mine used to do that when they were little. I used to just call them over and then trade a treat or one of their toys for the object I didn't want them to have. Now I can tell them no or leave it and they will, or if they already have it in their mouth I can call them over and they will give it to me no problem.

Michele and the pups

Same here.

KristenE

We're dealing with this right now. What I've been doing is NOT chasing after her, but when she does finally come to me give her lots of praise. I'll start treating too.

tzuhouse

Ok we are starting on the right track then. When I was training her, I use the words "good girl" when she would use the puppy pad or eliminate outside. So I been using that also to make her come to me and follow it with a treat.

So luckily my home sit at the top of a cul-de-sac and there is no traffic.

One thing I learned when in training classes was to NOT use "good girl/boy". But in stead say "good come", "good potty", "good down", etc, etc. The reason being by reinforcing the command you started with...come, down, potty, etc. that just doubles the command and they learn the "word" for the command that much faster. Seemed to work for us, but I do sometimes finding myself saying "good girl/boy" once in awhile and I always try to follow that with the "good 'command'".

Just what I was taught, am sure either way will work.