Training Help with lil Toby....

luvinpreciousntoby

I have been doing lots of research on training,, etc.. but that can't compare to the knowledge of everyone on this board.. so I'm asking for your opinion.. and as you all know we just got our lil 8 week old pup.. Toby... he is such a delight.. and we have fallen totally head over heels in love with our little man... We want to do things right.. from the start so we end up with a well mannered happy Tzu...

the question is... He immediately bonded with Billie.. which is what we wanted.. in the evenings.. when he's all rested and ready to play... he will get aggressive with her,, it's the cutest little thing,, all 1 lb 8 oz of him.. but at the same time we know it needs to be curbed, we do the training where if he starts to bite/nibble our fingers we give him a toy,, to train him it's ok to bite the toys but not us... His aggressive play is basically him growling.. he does it mostly towards billie.. whom he loves.. he follows her everywhere,, and when he hears her voice his lil tail starts wagging... he will be playing.. with her and she will touch him (to pet him or to pick him up) and he will become ferocious.. with his little play growling which then turns into.. I guess it's his barkkk but it's like wild tazmanian demon puppy.. lol.. I really should take a video of it and post.. as it's quite funny,, except we are worried what it could become.. maybe this is normal puppy play with his littermates.. I'm not sure..

So far.. what I've had Billie do.. is lay him on his back,, calmly, repeatedly, tell him to settle and keep him on his back until he relaxes and settles... It seems like he just gets himself so excited playing.. then she'll pick him up to give him a kiss or something.. and it's like... demon puppy from hell.. lol... I'll try to take a video tonight,, anyway,, please let me know if I'm wrong or right in handling this.. I know we are responsible for making or breaking this lil guy so he becomes a mannerly, obedient, and happy adult...

Edited by luvinpreciousntoby
tzuhouse

Well, I know all don't agree, but my vet did recommend the "pinning" method, however he had us pin chest down with the chin on the floor, you hold the back of the neck with fingers on the head to stablize. He said to not say anything, they get it, cause mom would have done the same thing. It tells them whatever the behavior they were doing is not okay. When you let them up, immediately go to something else. Maybe not even hand type play, but maybe a tug toy or a cuddle instead or, go outside to potty. They will have already forgotten what it was they did, but repitition will reinforce it each time. I more than anything else also establishes pack leader.

luvinpreciousntoby

Thanks Cathy,, that's pretty much the reason I have been having Billie hold him still, on his back. (submissive) . to enforce the pack leader thing... that i'm in charge and you're to listen. He really doesn't do it so much with me,, I think he's already got the pack leader thing with me... I also understand that if you say a word.. such as settle.. then they associated that word with calming down, and it can also help with grooming, etc... Whew,, glad we're not too far off base.. looking forward to other's thoughts on this... will still try to get a video.. I'm sure it would make everyone laugh..

Edited by luvinpreciousntoby
tzuhouse

Beth, you are right on with the "settle" word, they did tell me that, I forgot. I also forgot why he said to do it tummy down rather than on their back. My vet that trained me on this wrote a book, it is called A Dog in Hand, by Dr, George Gates. It is a really good book, he goes in to why to do it and talks about cattle going through that very narrow gate thing before slatter and how much more calming it is and also autistic children needing the same. Very interesting. As I say, some not agree and I did not follow it to the letter either. He said to do this several time a day, needed or not, but I only did it when I felt they were getting out of hand. I can still do it to either if they act us and they GET IT. They know momma means business without my saying a word. Josie has growled at me a couple of times, I know she would NEVER bite, it was just a grumble really, but I put her in her place and now it happens VERY rarely. So, everyone has to take from these kinds of methods what they will and measure their standards. It did work for me. You can get the book on Amazon and I am sure other places too, should you be interested.

Oh, another reason he claims for doing this is to simply calm anxiety in any situation, such as going to the vet. He tells of owners with dogs that want to bite and jump about and misbehave because of fear, but when taught the calming method, they are perfect angels. Good read, maybe even the library.....NO, I am not getting any royalities....LOL, in fact, I have changed vets, cause he is waaaaay too expensive even though VERY good.

Well, I know all don't agree, but my vet did recommend the "pinning" method, however he had us pin chest down with the chin on the floor, you hold the back of the neck with fingers on the head to stablize. He said to not say anything, they get it, cause mom would have done the same thing. It tells them whatever the behavior they were doing is not okay. When you let them up, immediately go to something else. Maybe not even hand type play, but maybe a tug toy or a cuddle instead or, go outside to potty. They will have already forgotten what it was they did, but repitition will reinforce it each time. I more than anything else also establishes pack leader.

that is true.. it works. I haven't had to use that method on Chico or Mia, but have used it on my sister's pup!