Mix Messages

Ming Ming and Suki's Momma

Hi all,

I got a question regarding Ming Ming potty training. As some of you all know that Ming Ming is now 13 weeks old and has move to the deluxe bedroom in the sky (LOL) and is doing quite well. She is holding her urine overnight (by the way is that good for her age?), I have a puppy pad upstairs with her which she uses when I get for my morning potty break, but as of lately she is holding it until I take her out to do both of her business. I have learned Ming Ming's bathroom behavior since she has joined us upstairs which if she urinates on the puppy pad, I would have to take out to do her other business and this during the morning hours, but when we are downstairs for the day, we do a combination of puppy pad and outside.

So I guess my question is, Am I sending her mix messages by combining outside and puppy pad for potty time?

Thanks

FairyTail Josette

It sounds like Ming Ming is doing well. Each furbaby is different, it's whatever works for you, your lifestyle, and Ming Ming.

Generally speaking, doing both methods can be confusing. However, Josey came home to me from the breeder potty trained on a potty pad. But, she's very smart, and picked up going outdoors immediately. (Having 2 other furkids potty trained to go outside helps a lot.) Josey saw them going and went outside, right away. So, she went both outdoors and inside on the potty pad, with no problems. As she's gotten older, she goes to the door and barks, she prefers to go outdoors only. But, I still have the potty pad out for her, just in case we aren't home and she needs to go.

Thirteen weeks of age is great for holding it all night. Josey, at 2 yrs old, has a tiny bladder and still can't hold it the entire night. So, you are lucky! :)

TheShihtzuation

Our trainer (at Petsmart.. ) yelled at us in the beginning for doing this with Pokey. We would take him out on a regular schedule.. but also just in case there were accidents, we'd have a few puppy pads around the house. It's now the end of the class though.. and Pokey is the only dog in our class that is for the most part, totally potty trained. (Since his neutering he's had a few excited peepee accidents.. but nothing major).

So I definitely agree with Suz - it's what works best for you and your pup. :)

luvinpreciousntoby

Toby does the same thing.. and it's fine with us.. he is only 9 weeks,, and when he's playing he needs to pee about every 15 minutes... so we have a potty pad in the living room.. he will be playing.. play play play.. then suddenly stop.. and run to the pad and potty,, then back to play play play...

yet at the same time.. we take him outside... with precious and Jaz.. and he immediately potties out there as well...

we love that the potty pad is in his pen at night,, and he can get up and go potty as he needs too...

as he gets older/bigger we will do more extensive outside potty training,, but for now.. this is working perfect for us... He has not had an accident all week.. as long as the pad is out somewhere...

If it works.. go for it would be my thoughts.

kcsheperd

I did the same as the others.. I trained for outside, but if I was gone for a long time I left a puppy pad for them. In the beginning they used them a little, but mine would prefer to go outside too. I have to leave them in the kitchen while I'm at work all day, and I leave one in there, but they rarely use it. They would rather just go outside when I get home. So I think you can do both if you have to, but use the method you prefer the Most more than the others so they will learn what you want them to do. And Hooray for little Ming for holding it in the night! What a good girl!

Lea and Bert both held their pee through the night at by the age of 3 months. Even with Lea's tiny bladder.

I tried training to both, but it didnt work for me either..... Lea refused the pad and prefered outside... Bert didnt care he'd do both.... til this day I still think bert would use a pad.... but I vowed that since the girls was trained to outside, I was going to train them all to outside... So I did extensive training with Lea first, then after a month I started on Bert.

It really doesnt take long at all if you do it properly to train them completely to outside. Took Lea 3 days and Bert about a week. I trust Lea in the house over bert at this time due to the potty pad thing.... if a pillow or blanket is down in the floor Bert will use it as a pad lol Not all the time but he'll get a wild hair and refuse to ring the bells for whatever reason.... this normally happens when its raining cats and dogs and its hard to take them as often

Back a week ago when I went to the concert....( I have no family in this area or close friends that I trust that one that I did have let me down and for whatever reason refuses to speak to me now even tho I didnt do or say anything to her) I let Maci run the house but I gated off the kitchen for the pups, I left a towel for potty area and a blankey with tons of toys balls chew toy etc..... I left at 230pm that day and didnt return until 2am. So that was 12 hours............ the whole time maci never pottied in the house, she held it. And as far as the pups were concerned I found 1 puddle that was dried on the floor. So either the other one held it or they peed on the blanket/towel and I didnt see it. But I think they held it because they was dieing to go outside LOL

Ming Ming and Suki's Momma

I prefer her to do both for convinence on rainy days and when for when the cold weather comes around again.

Thanks for all the feed back guys.

chloechanel'smommy

I also do both for the same reason. Another being that we have a busy schedule and may not get get home on time. I didn't really plan to pad train her but it works for us.

ShihtzuBeauty

I do both w/100% succsess I LOVE the versatility of the piddle pads.

Shih Tzus Mama

I also do both. It sure comes in handy when its raining hard and storming. I am having a problem with my new Shih Tzu Angelica who came to me as a puppy in December and spent most of her time indoors due to her being little. She is not making the transition to the yard as well as the others. I'm hoping in time she'll get the idea because she runs to the yard with the others when I come home and let them out to go potty. She uses my deck to do her potty. I figured we're getting close.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to add that I too have been worried about mixed messages, as Oliver came home to me pad trained and I've been taking him outside as well. He goes about 50/50. Well, today it has rained most of the day and I'm so glad he is as happy to use his pads as he is to go outside! Since we have some really cold, nasty weather in the winter in the Texas panhandle, I think it might be a good idea to keep the pad option open as long as he is willing to go either way. I prefer outside and have a doggie door from my dear departed Beau, but how convenient to have another option!

FairyTail Josette

I have a potty pad out for Josey and she hasn't used it in months. So, I was thinking about putting it away. Well, one night last week I got home and it was raining and hubby was fast asleep on his chaise in front of the tv and yes, Josey used the potty pad! :( I think they're a great alternative.

chloechanel'smommy

At first, I was a little disappointed with potty training as I felt that CoCo should go outside all the time. I felt that I had failed as a pet owner. :D Needless to stay, I now feel that the pad was the best way to go in my situation. She never has accidents and we stay dry and warm in bad weather!