Manners Class week 1

kcsheperd

Well Payslee & I began our Manners class on Monday night. For Payslee to be a certified therapy dog, she has to go through several classes, and this is one of them. I wasn't sure how it would go because while Payslee is very smart at home, I didn't know how she would be in a giant group of dogs! I thought I would share the tips, so you could all teach your babies, without paying $85 for a 6 week class. I'll be posting all the tips/tricks on my dog blog each week (the link is listed below my sig) and I'll try to update this link as well as we go along.

When we got there there were only 4 other dogs, but 4 others showed up, and I think a Border Collie is supposed to show up next week, so there were 9 total, and I think they are going to end up splitting the class next week, but I'm not sure. AT first it was just a bunch of madness. Dogs panting, barking and flopping around. We were instructed to place our dogs on the floor and stand on their leash with one foot giving them about a foot of slack. Payslee was nervous at first because all the dogs were so loud, but after about 15 minutes they all calmed down...UNTIL the lady with the two Maltese came in! They were very naughty! Screaming, lunging, and snarling at people! We went around the room and introduced ourselves, our dogs, and told what we would like to change..I said that Payslee is a barker, and stubborn! The Maltese lady said her dogs bite people and other dogs!! So yes, they will definatley need manners!

Week one was learning "Pay Attention" and "Sit" things that most people (myself included) thought my dogs already knew.. WRONG. lol.. Its very hard to get your babes to pay attention to you in a room full of other people and dogs! One of the first things I learned is that you don't repeat commands to your dog. You say each command ONCE, and if they don't do it, you move on. Repeating the command does not help. (up until now I had been a huge violator of this rule!)

To teach "Pay Attention" you say your dogs name. If they turn and make eye-contact with you then you praise and give a treat. The eye contact is very important. If they don't do it, (after saying their name ONE TIME) then you go to them, and cup their face and say "Payslee" and wait for her to make eye-contact. When she does you praise, and treat.. And keep doing this.. The thing I didn't realize is that even if you are talking about your dogs with your friends, and you say "Payslee" or their name, and they make eye contact with you, you always need to praise, so they ALWAYS know to pay attention to you when you say their name. If

The next task was "Sit" which I taught Payslee months ago..Amazing how they will do it at home, but not in a group!! Dang.. Anyway, you want your dog to learn to sit no matter where they are, whether on a walk, at a friends house, etc.. They also should know how to 'sit' WITHOUT seeing a treat in your hand, so my trainer did NOT want us holding up the treat when we say "Sit".. which makes sense!! So you say "Sit" ONE TIME. If they sit, then you treat (treat is hidden behind your back) and praise..if they do not sit, then you take the treat and put it right by their nose/mouth. They can sniff it, or lick it, but they can't have it till they sit down. When they sit, treat, and praise.

Payslee did So-so..She sometimes listened, and sometimes sat.. lol.. Thats my Pays! Sorry this is so long, but I'm trying to be specific, so everyone can do it. Other little thing; When the dogs were barking, she took some treats and put them in a cup, and when the Maltese would start barking and going crazy she would shake the treats to divert their attention. That worked! She also suggested ignoring any bad behavior, because dogs are like kids, and any attention is what they want, whether it be good or bad. We are going to learn about loose leash walking, barking, jumping, etc in the next few weeks, as its a 6 week class, so hopefully its helpful to people! Enjoy!

r215qo.jpg

This is GREAT KC! Loved reading about your class and YES I think its great that you will share it here & on your Blog. Very good tips. I know I want to learn more, Thanks :hug: Give Miss payslee a hug and I know she will do great and little Sawyer will too!

emmasmom

Great info KC! We can all learn from this, Thanks & give those babies a big hug from us!

LondonGirl

Good for you and Payslee - there can never be too many therapy dogs. :hug:

But that behaviour is so unusual for Maltese. They are nearly always kind, gentle, lovin' everyone kinda guys. My Pip (Maltese) got his therapy cert at 10 months of age (9 is minimum qualifying age here) and we visit 2 local hospices weekly. We should swap stories when you two are 'up and running'.

Love your post and I will be watching for more :). I have Biscotti in the Puppy class at Petsmart. We actually have a GREAT instructor which I was nervous about.

Right now Biscotti's main issue is that if she gets something she's not suppose to have (stinkin' kids leave stuff around at times LOL) she KNOWS she's not suppose to have it and will run like a crazy mad dog. Refuses to "drop it". I found out one of my twins would chase her to try to get it back (usually a sock). I found this out AFTER the damage was done and now Biscotti thinks its a fun game. I always get a treat and "trade" for the offending item. BUT because of what my daughter did we now have to RE-train. I since have explained to my daughter why she can't do it...but she's 8 and didn't know initially.

luvinpreciousntoby

KC..

This is awesome! I'm going to follow your instruction! LOL... nothing like free manners classes...

Thanks for taking the time to help all those of us who could use finding out the "right" way to train our furkids!

FairyTail Josette

KC, thanks for all the tips! Payslee will do well in the class. The first class was a lot of excitement for all of them, just like the first day of school for skin kids. LOL All the furkids will settle in and start to learn. I'm excited and interested to see your weekly posts on this class....we can all learn from you. I agree with London Girl, Lorraine, that's really unusual behavior for Maltese to be barking/biting people. Maltese are much like Shih Tzu....very sweet and loving. I'm also interested to hear updates about the Malts, too. :)

Your tag with Payslee smiling is ADORABLE!!!!!! :) :dede:

KC, I'm so glad you're posting what you and Pays are learning! I'll be looking forward to all the training tips. Thanks for sharing!

Wicket's mom

Great info KC, thanks :) It sounds a lot like the obedience training class Wicket took. I too was a little surprised at how I had to teach him things he already knew all over again in class, because he was used to doing them at home with no distractions and with treats in sight. I will try to check out your blog from time to time for extra things we might not have gone over here.

Thanks again, and I'm sure Payslee is gonna do great :dede:

Awesome KC, thank you so much for the tips. I will be especially interested if and when you get the the part on how to get a dog to NOT lick....Maddy's tongue flaps constantly....he even licks the "air".

kcsheperd

I just saw these in my Manners handbook, and thought I would share these as well. These are a few "Don'ts" to Remember.

*DON'T--Chase your dog. Chasing is a dog's favorite game and your dog will soon learn that being caught usually means something unpleasant is going to happen.

*Don't--Call your dog for anything unpleasant. He will associate bad things happening with the act of coming when called. Go to your dog quietly, if you need him to do something that he doesn't like.

*Don't--Hit your dog with your hands, feet, or a rolled up newspaper. Dogs do not understand this action, therefore the usual resutl is a somewhat obedient, but fearful, insecure, or aggressive Pet.

*Don't--Let your friends counteract your training by permitting your dog to do wrong--it isn't fair to the dog.

*Don't--Give up on your dog after a week or two of training. All dogs are smart enough to learn far more than they are ever taught, but months are required to make a polished performer. If your dog is not progressing to your satisfaction, examine your own efforts in training before blaming the dog.

I am a repeat command person too lol very bad offence (bad stacey bad stacey) My husband has already repremanded me for this. We also know that the pups learn to sit inside the house but wanted to teach them to sit outside in different surroundings, we have got bert to the point of where he will sit and stay in one position even if I walk off.

We have been working with him hard on lately on treating, if he sees treats even if its for maci or lea he comes running and then jumps, so we have to put him in a sit stay about 50 feet from them, treat lea and maci then say "bert come" and he is finally rewarded with his treat. He now will sit still for them to get their treats and he knows he gets his last.... We have to keep it in that order or all chaos is reformed lol

But I really really really want you to focus on the jumping part.... bert is a big jumper, the other two are naturally obedient and will sit even when you dont tell them too, they are patient and bert is not.

I wanted to put bert in obedience classes but hubbys hours fell through for awhile and it just wasnt possible.... hopefully soon we can start him in it.

Thank you so much for this KC! I can't wait to read what happens next week. I usually repeat a command a couple times too. I can't get Chase or Maggie to sit on cue for anything. When I try using the treat, they just keep backing up. Jasmine is really good with commands though. Right now I'm working on them waiting instead of running right out the door or gate when I open it. They are doing really good, which really surprises me.

Rita

kcsheperd

I will try to remember to ask about 1) Licking and 2) Jumping for sure when I go back on Monday.. I should also add, she suggested that when you are training multiple dogs to only work with them one on one so that they get that 1 on 1 time..UNTIL they have it down PAT (which mine DO NOT..lol) Thats rough for me, and I've been violating that rule! Because with two puppies its just easier to work with them both, but she said do it one on one so they know how to act, and to do the commands without the other being around. So I'm just putting Sawyer outside and letting him play, while working with Payslee, and then switching off.. but thats so hard!!! lol

Edited by kcsheperd
FairyTail Josette

I just saw these in my Manners handbook, and thought I would share these as well. These are a few "Don'ts" to Remember.

*DON'T--Chase your dog. Chasing is a dog's favorite game and your dog will soon learn that being caught usually means something unpleasant is going to happen.

*Don't--Call your dog for anything unpleasant. He will associate bad things happening with the act of coming when called. Go to your dog quietly, if you need him to do something that he doesn't like.

*Don't--Hit your dog with your hands, feet, or a rolled up newspaper. Dogs do not understand this action, therefore the usual resutl is a somewhat obedient, but fearful, insecure, or aggressive Pet.

*Don't--Let your friends counteract your training by permitting your dog to do wrong--it isn't fair to the dog.

*Don't--Give up on your dog after a week or two of training. All dogs are smart enough to learn far more than they are ever taught, but months are required to make a polished performer. If your dog is not progressing to your satisfaction, examine your own efforts in training before blaming the dog.

:debbi: I am guilty of calling my dog's for unpleasant things... like pill taking.

kcsheperd

After being in the class ONE week..I realize I am guilty of a LOT of No-No's!! But hey, thats what learning is all about!! So at least we now KNOW what is NO NO! lol

luvinpreciousntoby

Wow.. thanks KC.. this is so useful for us!

kcsheperd

Well My trainer just emailed me and (as expected) they are going to split our class. I'm glad, because 9 dogs was a little over-whelming. So Now Payslee & I won't go back until Tuesday..so I'll post after our 2nd lesson. On our walks I've been practicing "Sit" and "Pay Attention" because My trainer explained that the reason dogs won't do things outside the house that they do in, is because their picture has changed..So thats why she says its great to work with them in unfamiliar surroundings, because then they truly learn the command.. More on Tues!!