How do you stop a dog from running? Oreo has a mind of his own!

oreo's mom

Ok, I'm frustrated!!! Today, Oreo ran for the second time. The first time, he almost got to the road and I live along a state highway. He had stopped only 2 feet from the road. I was running after him calling his name and he wouldn't listen. Today, he went to my neighbors to chase their cat but my concern with that is they have a horse and its not a friendly one. Again, I was going after him, calling him and he just kept on trotting along like he didn't have a care in the world. After the first time he ran, I kept him on a leash but he's normally great about coming back when I call him.Every once in awhile he acts like he's on a huge mission and nothing else matters. How in the world do I handle this and how do you get them to come back when called?? I don't want him to get hit by a semi or stomped on by a horse. Any training tips are greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Can you take him to basic training? Or you can attach a long lead to him and if he wanders to far or runs, you can grab the lead. I did that with Emily before I put in the fence. She didn't like dragging the lead around but I had no choice. What ever you do, don't leave him unattended outside. You can't trust him.

loewenthal.anna

As hard as it is, everything I have ever been taught about training and dog behavior says DO NOT run after them! (I'm guilty of doing this too, I'm sure we all are, it's almost impossible to break the urge)

With Lolly, I can simply walk the other way and yell "Bye Lolly!" or "I'm Leaving!" and she runs to follow me. Granted she isn't often highly distracted when she wanders off so it's pretty easy to get her attention. With Poe, my mastiff, we did extensive work with a training lead (Looks a lot like a lunging rope for horses and is used the same way) we have a 30ft one and I attach it and begin training. It feels to the dog like they are off-lead because they have so much freedom, but while you are still hammering down the "come" command it gives you enough control that you won't panic. We use a whistle with her to break her focus on whatever it is she's chasing/looking at and then a verbal and hand signal for 'come". It took some time to get her to to it reliably but it's been worth it, especially when we go to the lake and she decides that she just MUST eat that wave-runner down the beach.

Good luck with him! Remember to stay calm during the training and try not to pull on the lead, you want him to come by voice-only that way when you remove the training devices he knows what cues to look for. Hope that helps!

oreo's mom

Can you take him to basic training? Or you can attach a long lead to him and if he wanders to far or runs, you can grab the lead. I did that with Emily before I put in the fence. She didn't like dragging the lead around but I had no choice. What ever you do, don't leave him unattended outside. You can't trust him.

No, I don't leave him unattended. I've been with him both times but he'll take off running so fast,...the little stinker!! He knew that he was a bad boy today. He wouldn't look at me when we came into the house. I'll have to follow him around!!!

No, I don't leave him unattended. I've been with him both times but he'll take off running so fast,...the little stinker!! He knew that he was a bad boy today. He wouldn't look at me when we came into the house. I'll have to follow him around!!!

They know when you are mad at them. Silly little boy.

borzoimom

I would use a long line. That is a cord or very long leash ( like 20 feet). Attach it to the collar, When the dog goes to run, call the dog but not in a panicked voice- if the dog does not obey- you " reel them in. Keep doing it.

Let the dog walk around on the long lead- you are not leading like a leash, the lines can be up to like 50 feet long- ..

oreo's mom

As hard as it is, everything I have ever been taught about training and dog behavior says DO NOT run after them! (I'm guilty of doing this too, I'm sure we all are, it's almost impossible to break the urge)

With Lolly, I can simply walk the other way and yell "Bye Lolly!" or "I'm Leaving!" and she runs to follow me. Granted she isn't often highly distracted when she wanders off so it's pretty easy to get her attention. With Poe, my mastiff, we did extensive work with a training lead (Looks a lot like a lunging rope for horses and is used the same way) we have a 30ft one and I attach it and begin training. It feels to the dog like they are off-lead because they have so much freedom, but while you are still hammering down the "come" command it gives you enough control that you won't panic. We use a whistle with her to break her focus on whatever it is she's chasing/looking at and then a verbal and hand signal for 'come". It took some time to get her to to it reliably but it's been worth it, especially when we go to the lake and she decides that she just MUST eat that wave-runner down the beach.

Good luck with him! Remember to stay calm during the training and try not to pull on the lead, you want him to come by voice-only that way when you remove the training devices he knows what cues to look for. Hope that helps!

Oreo doesn't always run. Its only happened twice and 98% of the time, he comes right back. I will definitely try this. Oh, I had to giggle at the part about Lolly eating that wave-runner!!! LOL. Thank you for you advice. I'll let you know if it works.

Wicket's mom

With Poe, my mastiff, we did extensive work with a training lead (Looks a lot like a lunging rope for horses and is used the same way) we have a 30ft one and I attach it and begin training. It feels to the dog like they are off-lead because they have so much freedom, but while you are still hammering down the "come" command it gives you enough control that you won't panic.

I do the same thing with Wicket; but I guess I went wrong where if he doesn't come right away I give a little tug on the leash. Now he has to wear it all the time, because he won't come until I pick up the leash (I don't have to pull anymore, but I do need to have it in my hand for him to listen)

loewenthal.anna

Oreo doesn't always run. Its only happened twice and 98% of the time, he comes right back. I will definitely try this. Oh, I had to giggle at the part about Lolly eating that wave-runner!!! LOL. Thank you for you advice. I'll let you know if it works.

Lolly chasing a wave runner WOULD be hilarious! Unfortunately I meant to say Poe. . . who at 150lbs very rarely strikes joy into the hearts of those she's decided to chase. Poor girl, 99% of the time she just wants to say hello but if you look like a Lion chasing down a zebra I guess it's hard to look friendly. The girl is a freight train, it's shocking to see such a large animal move like that from 0-60 in the blink of an eye.

As for pulling on the long lead, I did that too at first, no worries! I enlisted the help of my animal behavior professor who set me straight on why you want the lead there, but you don't want to ever have to use it. You could try re-training Wicket perhaps? I found that Poe was willing to re-learn the commands sans pulling when I brought out her favorite toy. She only get's to play with it when we're doing recall work so it's still got that novelty element to it and if she tries to play keep-away with it she get's downgraded to a stick and the lesson is over. They really are like children aren't they? It's all about earning the right to have cool stuff.