Please ease my worries

luvinpreciousntoby

Ok,, I have been a little worried about this since we received our lil furbaby...

The only ShihTzu I have to compare Toby too is my precious.. as a pup,, precious was laid back, spunky,, happy,, playful.. but quiet...

Toby is the exact opposite!! OMGGGGGGGGGGG.. I love him to death, but I am a little concerned about his personality.. he is total maniac!! LOL.. I know at this age they chew, chew chew,, he does more than that,, every time we pick him up he growls.. and it doesnt' seem like a cute lil growl.. it's a.. I'm pissed off growl.. he also has what we call.. little manic episodes.. where he's so excited playing,, his bark becomes hi pitched, mixed with growl and snarl.. like he's going spastic..and is going to bite your head off.. we tell him to settle.. have been pinning him.. and and he usually does settle.. but complains the entire time..

He also barks,, so much more than precious.. who never barks unless someone strange comes in.. Toby barks at me sitting on the couch,, I get on the floor and play and he barks at his toys.. and barks in his pen,, and barks if we walk by, and barks if I go out of site.. I've never been around a lil pup that's so vocal!! I am using the term "no bark" and I think he's starting to get it.. Last night, he barked at 4:00.. so I let him out of his pen.. took him out.. put him on the bed, he barked on the bed.. I put him in his pen, he barked in his pen.. so no sleep after 4..

Billie has been gone 3 days,, I'm thinking these early morning fits are him just missing his momma... as she is the one with the tighter bonding with him..

I guess I just need reassurance that this pup.. is going to mature,, and .. grow out of his manic episodes??? HELPPPPP.. Maybe I'm concerned, due to sleep deprivation.. If so.. sorry.. but help!

CrazyTzuLady

do you know how to give a scruff hold?

Michelle are you talking about a scruff hold on the back of their neck? Because I was always told to never do that with Shih Tzu because their eyes can pop out of their sockets.

luvinpreciousntoby

OMG.. If I held him by the scruff of his neck, he would scream to high heaven,,, I was told when we first got him,, to pin him to the ground until he calmed.. but I swear I would be pinning him all day

borzoimom

Michelle are you talking about a scruff hold on the back of their neck? Because I was always told to never do that with Shih Tzu because their eyes can pop out of their sockets.

Only if you do it wrong- Do not apply it at the base of the ears. If you do not know how I will suggest something else.

shihtzulovers100

You may want to bring him to obedience training class.

This way the teacher can see how he does, and assist you to correct this behavior.

Shih Tzu is smart and STUBBORN.

It is easier to correct this behavior when he is still young.

ShihtzuBeauty

LOL sounds like my JoJo he is Rotten to the core still and he's 3! :) Daddy said I made him that way. :)

I can't wait til KC comes on.....I remember her posting a almost identical post when she had had Payslee for only a few weeks. She said some of the same things. I think now she will tell you she is still much more high energy than her others and probably most of ours, but it is just that....her personality.

I think a lot of this is pure puppy behavior and maybe he is a little more energetic than most. But, I think all that you have described to try to calm the behavior is good. I especially believe the pinning is good, because a mother dog does the same thing. Just don't give in until he does in fact settle. When I used to do Maddy, he took much longer than Josie, but when he settled, her really settled....he would usually fall asleep.

He also may in fact be missing mamma and not knowing where she is is making him a little more manic...LOL.

Send him here if he gets to be too much.... :)

kcsheperd

Here I am Cathy! Reading this and laughing.. Not at you Beth, but WITH you.. :) .. You have seen the Payslee videos, and heard the Payslee scowl.. and YES, you and I just 'lucked' (she says sarcasically) into getting the active, barking, non-shih-tzu like babies!! Payslee was a talker from the second I brought her home. She is a whiner..She would throw TANTRUMS when I tried to brush her, clean her ears, or clip her nails..flailing, screaming, and acting like I was cutting her legs off! It was seriously the most ridiculous display I had ever seen, (the vet even said one time as he was trying to look at her ears, 'this is a little much missy') and Pandora (the shih-tzu I lost last Nov) NEVER acted like that, and Neither did Rally..so I was like, "Oh lordy help me!" lol

I will say this.. they do grow out of soooome.. of it.. but Payslee still barks (we are going to work on that in Manners class) and she constantly talks to me about what she wants. (the only thing that stops her is a squirt bottle, so I squirt 'at' her and say "SHH") She was throwing a fit today because she wanted to sit on my lap instead of her car seat, so she started barking and crying and throwing her body down. In the morning, she wants to sit on my lap while I do my makeup. If I don't pick her up she will literally bark and whine for 20 minutes.. I'm still hoping she will grow out of some MORE of this!! lol..

Sawyer is my 'typical' tzu.. Happy, quiet, loving, and squishy.. Payslee is very loving, but has 20 times the energy Sawyer has.. She could rollerblade for 2miles and not miss a beat! Whereas Sawey is tired after a 1/4 of a mile! So I do just have to MAKE SURE Pays has had PLENTY of exercise. Even at 8 weeks old, I was walking her every single day.

Hang in there girl.. The way I got Payslee to understand I was the boss, was by just repeating the things she hated..If she flailed at me when the blow dryer was on, I would blow-dry her till she stopped..If she raised hell about the ears, I would work on her ears everyday..and she is 100% better about all those things.. She no longer nips or bites at me, and the barking is getting better the more we work on it..These "Kids" just require a little more patience, but I tell you what, they sure make things entertaining!! :)

Edited by kcsheperd
LondonGirl

Probably no need to worry. They are all different, even litter-mates. It happen to have been researching puppy development stages lately for a training class I take that has a couple of particularly difficult independently-minded pups of new dog owners and I came across these articles which may help you understand your little chap:

The long, technical, boring one that may even give you indigestion, but well worth reading if you have time to put your feet up with a cup of coffee:

http://www.nwk9.com/dehasse_pupdev.htm

The much easier to chew and digest one:

http://www.dogbreedz.com/dog_articles/doga...development.htm

The bite-sized chunks one:

http://www.dogsworldwide.com/drdog/infofile/if_bpn2.htm

Of course 'learned texts ' are not always a substitute for the personal experiences of people you know and other owners of the same breed but they do offer a slightly different take from that of the 'doting parent'. :)

tzukeeper

Some of my dogs were this way as pups. I guess I never worried too much about it. They were puppies and it seemed typical puppy behavior to me. I would have never even considered using a scruff hold or pinning them but I did use the word "NO" a lot . Some of my dogs were more vocal than others as pups and remain so as adults. Opie is my growler....he growls about everything. He's not being mean because he even does it when you snuggle with him. He growls the entire time he is eating and when he is playing. We've even heard him growl in his sleep. He doesn't bark though. Munky is my barker and can be a bit wild at times. He has so much more energy than any of my other dogs. I don't think you have a blossoming monster on your hands. He just may have a different personality than Precious. Embrace the differences in them....sounds like they even each other out. Imagine if you had 2 like Toby!

CrazyTzuLady

Some of my dogs were this way as pups. I guess I never worried too much about it. They were puppies and it seemed typical puppy behavior to me. I would have never even considered using a scruff hold or pinning them but I did use the word "NO" a lot . Some of my dogs were more vocal than others as pups and remain so as adults. Opie is my growler....he growls about everything. He's not being mean because he even does it when you snuggle with him. He growls the entire time he is eating and when he is playing. We've even heard him growl in his sleep. He doesn't bark though. Munky is my barker and can be a bit wild at times. He has so much more energy than any of my other dogs. I don't think you have a blossoming monster on your hands. He just may have a different personality than Precious. Embrace the differences in them....sounds like they even each other out. Imagine if you had 2 like Toby!

Same here. I just don't get the logic in either of those things. :) Yes it has been explained to me many of times but I still would never do it. JMO

I was wondering how you were doing with Toby.. now I know.. lol.. it seems there's always one that's more vocal, feisty, bossy, whiney, etc. than the other....maybe he's missing momma...he's what four months now? maybe just being a pup, or you're just lucky to have picked the rambunctious Toby!

luvinpreciousntoby

Thank you everyone! It's so reassuring to know that,, he won't develop into a monster... He is very loving.. last night he was barking at me,, so I picked him up and he snuggled up on my chest and fell asleep... KC.. Thanks! I guess we lucked out with our pups being personality plus plus plus..LOL.. Toby is 14 weeks old now.. he has moments where he's such a grat lil guy.. like going potty the second I take him outside.. and coming running when I call... I do think he is extremely intelligent.. as it took basically nothing for me to teach him to sit.. Right now he's asleep laying on my foot.. lol so we're having a calm moment.. I haven't pinned him in a while.. as I would have to do it all the time.. and I don't want to negatively affect his personality.. if you know what I mean.. I am going to get a spray bottle today.. if it works with Pays.. and someone recommended that to me last night..

Thanks again to you all!! You guys rock!!!