Manners Class Week 2

kcsheperd

Well we got to go back to class finally! (Last week the air conditioner was broken so we didn't get to go). This week we worked on "Leave it" "Come" and "Walking on a loose Leash" and "Wait"..

I know several of you have asked about teaching your dogs to come when called. The instructor basically said, you put them on a retractable, or practice with them in the back yard. You say thier name, and the command; "Payslee, Come!"..and then you do whatever you need to do to get her to come to you..The teacher said, 'you have to make it the biggest party in town!".. Jumping, excited, etc.. Then reward and treat when they come to you.. If they don't come to you, you pull them gently to you till they figure out that you want them to come. Its very important not to run after them, because "chase' is a game to the dogs.

To practice "Leave it" she put a bag of treats in the middle of the room. We walked our dogs by it, and the second they started to go to it, or show interest we pulled them away and said, 'Leave it'.. she suggested you do this with food, items, toys, and other dogs..that way they always LEAVE whatever you don't want them to have.

For "Wait" you take your babies to the door and open it JUST BARELY..if they start to go toward it, shut the door. The sound of the door shutting will stop them from going toward it. You say "Wait".. So Open the door..say "WAIT" and if they move toward it shut it immediately. Gradually open it more and more till they understand the 'wait' command.

For walking on a loose leash: She suggested walking around, and when your dog starts to go the wrong way, you move and say "right" or "Left" whichever way you are going. If they get distracted you say, "Hurry! Hurry"" and pull them toward you..You can also use your legs to move them in the way you want them to go.

I know I'm leaving out a lot of stuff, but I didn't want to make this a book..so if you have questions, just email me, and I'll try to find out. Also she said don't use the word "NO".. Find other words that suggest what you want..like if you don't want them to jump on the couch don't say "No" say "Off" instead..Or if they are barking and you want them to quit say "Shh" or "Quiet" instead of "No".

Payslee has been doing VERY good. (It helps that the other dogs are loud, and wild..lol) However, she still hasn't told me to stop Payslee from being a fit thrower in the car, lol.

Edited by kcsheperd

I'm enjoying your posts KC. I think I messed up teaching 'wait' with treats... Now Oliver won't go through a door without getting a treat first. He sits and waits without being told and looks at me like I'm crazy when I praise him and release him without a treat. One more problem - he does this consistently at the back door, but it's a challenge to get him to wait at the front door. His wait is unreliable there and I have to put a long lead on him so he can't bolt...

Any suggestions?

kcsheperd

She stressed that it's very important to have a "release" word, like ok. So when they sit, down, or wait you say "Ok" so they know to get up and come with you. So maybe try teaching him not only the commands, but Also to release. When they wait, you can reward, but u can also reward for the release, saying ok, and also work on "come" so that if he doesn't want to follow you through, you can say "come" and he knows to come to you. :flowers:

Edited by kcsheperd
MaryBebo

Very good information KC, Thanks again for sharing.

CrazyTzuLady

Good info thanks for sharing KC.

BTW I love that video she is such a character. :flowers:

luvinpreciousntoby

KC you ROCK for helping all us lost souls..lol