Another day, another question!!

Last night Oliver was playing at my feet and I reached down to pick him up for a snuggle. He threw a fit and started biting at my hands and growling. I said 'no' in a firm voice and held him until he relaxed, but he continued to growl. I held him until he stopped growling and then put him down. I really think he was serious and not just playing. Did I handle the situation correctly? Should I be concerned? He's such a sweet baby dog usually...

kcsheperd

Payslee got like this when I would try to clip her nails, or blow her with the blow dryer. She would fight me and bite and growl like a crazy person, and NO, she was NOT kidding, kinda like you said.. I did the same thing you did.. I just kept doing what irritated her until she calmed down and stopped. Eventually she just accepted her fate, and quit flailing about.. Its like you have to get the upperhand.. They are just like kids who sometimes throw fits! lol

You can really tell the difference when they're playing and not! Oliver used to squirm and wiggle when I brushed him, but never growled. I just kept at it and he gave up. It's funny now when I start getting out his brushes and setting up to brush him he gets excited, jumping and wagging his tail ninety to nothing. I started giving him the soft bristle brush to chew on while I brush him and he loves it!! It has a rubber back and handle. That's the only time he gets to chew on it so I guess he looks forward to it.

I was worried because all the books I read said if a puppy under 6 months is seriously growling it means you have a serious aggression issue. I'm glad to hear it's not that unusual.

borzoimom

Yes you did- be prepared to follow it through here every time. No matter how tired or what you are doing. Then after he relaxes, you basically ignore him " I am not playing this...go lay down..." type thing.

luvinpreciousntoby

lol.. welcome to my world.. our Toby (16 weeks) has done this since the day we brought him home.. however, it has lessened quite a bit.. it really concerned me.. so I've researched it, asked our vet, and people here.. the vet said he is too young to have specific aggressive behavior.. it's more him needing boundaries set.. and being taught what is allowed and what is not.. I also found that after the fit subsides.. I put him down.. without toys.. and walk away.. and leave him to himself for 5 minutes.. this shows him I am not happy.. soo don't despare.. he's not going to develop into a manic out of control adult.. just give him boundaries and stick to them...

Good advice... Maybe I've been fussing over him too much and have made him feel like he's king of the castle!! I love my baby to bits, but I don't want to ruin him by spoiling him too much. That wouldn't be good for either of us!

Seastar

They are babies and do need some rest/alone time. Too much stimulation and they

get overloaded. Telling you to give some space for a while.

borzoimom

They are babies and do need some rest/alone time. Too much stimulation and they

get overloaded. Telling you to give some space for a while.

Yup- finish the battle then its time to go take a rest- to start over on a better foot...

RedyreRotties

Coming from a large upstanding breed, these sorts of issues are given careful attention when they crop up.

My first advice is do not react. Don't scold. Just continue what you were doing calmly.

This is one reason why I like to have puppies on the grooming table at an early age. I teach puppies to lie quietly for body handling, first on one side, and then the other. In the beginning there may be some minor struggles as the puppy learns to lie quietly, but once he does, then I do gently relaxing body massage until they just about fall asleep. Then I turn them over and do the other side. Often in the beginning we have the same struggle again until the pup relaxes.

For me, I don't ignore the puppy. I want the pup to learn that relaxing gets him a very pleasurable relaxing handling/massage experience.

:D

I've been giving Oliver less attention the last few days and no more growling when I pick him up. He is doing something funny that's kind of related, but not the same I think. I taught him 'down' and sometimes when I give the command, he sort of growl/grumbles as he's lying down, like, 'Ok, I don't really want to, but I'll do it anyway!" I don't have him do more than 3 or 4 'downs' in a 'session' and I add some 'sits' and 'watch me' in between. I keep it very brief and upbeat and he gets really excited when I start cause he knows he's about to get some treats!!

I've read that shih tzu have short attention spans and dislike repetitive commands and that some of them especially dislike 'down' so I try to keep it fun and interesting and do about 10 sessions a day only for 2 or 3 minutes each. I always stop before he's ready to stop and he follows me around, sitting and lying down, looking at me hopefully for a treat!! I reward those sometimes, sometimes not, but that little smooshie face is hard to resist!

Does anyone have related experience?

borzoimom

The few small breeds I have had, they do grumble- but you just follow through with it- Sounds like you are on the right path.

Remember- small breeds can have " I am as big as you are" syndrone- ie they get on your lap- eye to eye, with only the knowledge you accept such behavior. ( where as if a big dog did that, out of sheer size you would stop the behavior. ). Its called the little king complex.. )

Having Borzoi- a sensitive breed, mine try to play me too. Having had little dogs before, and most with baggage as rescues, its still the same rules- up in my lap by invitation, when I say the game is over- it is etc.. Kimba was simialr enough being a Llasa, and we did the same with him. But I know what you mean by a really cute face.. But remember- there is a mind behind that face. And just like a beauty queen, they will try to use it if you let them.