KristenE

So lately Biscotti has been barking a lot. She does it when she's TELLING us to play with her or TELLING Guinness he needs to play with her. What is the best way to stop it? For example at night I'll be on the couch relaxing and watching TV and she'll be on the ground barking at me. I'll pick her up and put her on the couch then she'll do her bark, nip, bark, play bow thing trying to get me to play with her. I've tried telling her quiet or no and she'll bark even louder at me. So I'll go get a toy and play. I KNOW what I'm doing is wrong but at that point in the evening I'm just so tired I give in. Which is so bad. So now she know's all she has to do is bark loud enough and long enough and she'll get her way.

So how do I break the horrible habit I've created for her? I've thought about trying the "rocks in a can" thing. The puppy class trainer suggested to put bitter apple in a squirt bottle and squirt her when she barks. I haven't really done anything yet I figured I'd get some input first.

Other then when she's trying to get someone to play with her she doesn't really bark (except one or two barks when someone rings our bell which is fine).

Seastar

I'd be very cautious of the Bitter Apple tecnique. It is wicked stuff, and if you got any in an eye, it might be very problematic. I prefer ignoring.

MisterMom

Get her a sister to play with. That's what I did for Coco so she would quit bugging me to play with her.

Oliver recently started barking at me to get my attention when I'm lying on the couch. He prefers me to sit on the floor with him, lol! From the beginning I would not even look at him or react in any way. He still tries briefly sometimes, but gives up since it doesn't work. Sometimes I will say, 'shhh' and praise him briefly and quietly, as soon as he stops, but I don't really look at him or move toward him because I don't want to give him too much attention when I want him to leave me alone and entertain himself with his toys.

I'm a newbie, so I'm sure there are people with better ideas, but this has worked for us so far. My daughter's tzu, Marnie, barks at her constantly for attention. She has tried the pebbles in a can and it works when she uses it, but she's not consistent so it's not that effective.

KristenE

Get her a sister to play with. That's what I did for Coco so she would quit bugging me to play with her.

We're working on that one LOL...but she won't be home with us until the end of August

kcsheperd

All of the trainers I have talked to reccomend ignoring them. I tried Ignoring, but Payslee was more stubborn than me, and it just went on and on.. The only thing that worked for me was a waterbottle. I would spritz at her from across the room and saying 'shhhh!' and it would startle her and she would stop. If I ignore Sawyer, he stops..but Payslee is more head-strong than he is, so a water-bottle stops her.

Cackle

Molly does it to me as well I hate it, she starts as soon as I sit down. I stare her down and tell her NO

I make sure she breaks eye contact first and she will stop barking at me and go lay down somewhere and sulk.

My waterbottle is by my side constantly.I never ever had to use it for Paddington,but I,m constantly refilling for Penny.she barks at the people walking by our house.Good thing we live in the country.

luvinpreciousntoby

Toby would bark and bark,, much like payslee and not stop as he is stubborn.. I started just holding his mouth closed and saying no bark.. he didn't like me holding his mouth and would stop.. he is only 4 months old.. and now I can be across the yard and say.. "no bark" and he quiets down and wait for me with tail wagging... I have NEVER hurt him.. just showed him what I meant... took a lil while though..

KristenE

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I will update you as we work through this as to what worked for Biscotti.