We started puppy class 2 weeks ago and Oliver was afraid to interact with the other puppies the first session. The second session was a little better, but he still hung back for the most part. Towards the end though, he decided to make friends with the female papillion next to us. He started by jumping and nipping at her face!! She didn't react at all so I brought him back to me. Then he started trying to mount her and would not stop! This seems like bad manners to me and I didn't know what to do. The trainer was engaged with someone else and I didn't ask her about it. Oliver gets his last set of shots on Friday so I'll have the go ahead to get him out to meet more dogs, but for now I've been limited to my friend's dogs, who he also tries to mount. I found a doggie day care here that arranges play dates and I want to start taking him there every week for a one hour session, but I have to wait until his shots are complete. What should I do if this continues?

I think it would be more effective if the dogs would let him know what's ok, but if they don't when and how should I intervene? Oliver has excellent bite inhibition, so I don't think he means any harm, but I don't want him to be the obnoxious dog no one wants to play with!

kcsheperd

Sawyer is about 9 months old now,(and fixed) and when he was around 7 months old he tries to mount Paylsee a few times. I immediatley said, "Sawyer, "NO" and he quit. Since then if he has tried to do it, I've said, "NO" or Spritzed water at him to let him know that its unwanted behavior, and he rarely does it at all now. Now Rally, on the other hand is 11 years old, and has been fixed since he was 5 months old..He will do it at the dog park to much smaller dogs. He does it to try to dominate them. I have to take a spray bottle to the dog park to stop him from doing it! :unsure: Its embarrassing, but it works. You could also try teaching him "Pay attention to me" and maybe he would stop what he was doing and go to you..

But its like you said, once he is around other dogs more, they will probably teach him the proper 'play etiquette'.. In my class that I'm taking there is this Bulldog that is what I call a 'face talker'.. She is always RIGHT UP in Payslee's face and my trainer said to the Bulldogs mom, "You have to teach her to not be so rough, and so excited if she wants to play with Payslee".. So maybe its a combination of manners, and also the other dogs teaching him as he gets older??

Its completely normal for them to do that. But at the same time its just annoying to us. My dogs have never tried to mount anyone elses outside of our little pack of 3. We tell them NO in the house and that usually works.

I dont believe in any kind of punishment, just a NO, and try to retain them from doing it.

Maci must have been sprayed with a bottle prior to me getting her because now everytime she see's the water bottle she runs and hides. This isnt good if you ever need it for groomings.

I would refrain from ANY kind of squirt bottles.

Teaching him to focus on you would be a better alternative. As he needs to learn that anyway and more of a positive reinforcement.

borzoimom

Sounds like he is being a baby. Discourage and distract, give a toy in exchange for the behavior ( like toss a favorite toy or ball etc). If he were older I would suspect the pom has an anal gland problem, the smell confuses a immature male- thinking the other is in heat..

I will be more assertive about stopping the mounting. A mildly sharp 'ah ah' usually immediately stops any behaviors I don't want. I guess I was so flustered and embarrassed I just kept pulling him away.

The owner of the papillion told me she was 7 months and was probably about to go into heat. She's planning on breeding her, so she's not getting fixed. Oliver is only 3 months, but if she brings her to class in heat... :pray:

I guess we will sit on the other side of the room!! My poodle molested every pillow, blanket or item of clothing until he was about 12 years old and he was fixed at 6 months!

What about jumping and biting at her face? I know he was trying to initiate play, but isn't that inappropriate? I guess if she would have either responded by playing or snapping at him to make him stop it would have been better. I'm afraid that if he does that to a less passive dog, he could get hurt. Is this something I even need to worry about, is it normal, or is there anything I can do to stop it if I need to? I want him to interact with the other dogs - that's the main reason we're going to class! I don't want to make it seem negative to him when he does try to play.

well ask the instructor how they want it handled....

because some classes is to train around other dogs and some are to train commands etc...

From what I was always told is that they wanted them not to be playing during "training" time, but yet they also have to realize until they are considered adults will always want to play with the other dogs....

I wouldnt sweat it too much.

This class is primarily to train commands, but the puppies do have some time to interact. In general, is what he doing, jumping and nipping at other dogs faces, a common way to initiate play? Maybe it just seemed a too aggressive way for him to go about it because the other dog was so passive and non-reactive? I want him to be friendly and play nice and I don't know if his behavior is acceptable. It's been a long time since I had a puppy and I have to admit that poor little Beau didn't get to socialize with other dogs much, so I haven't dealt with this before. I would be relieved to learn that it's perfectly normal and not considered annoying or aggressive to other dogs.

kcsheperd

I think most dogs work it out on their own. Payslee would try to jump and bite her friend Bear when she was 9 weeks old (He is 2, and an Aussie..and very gentle with her) so he would let her bite him in the ears and face, and he would just let her do whatever.. But if she tried to play with Rally like that, he would pin her down and growl saying "NO MAM!".. She and Sawyer play rough and she bites all over his face, but he will get sick of it, and bite her back as if to say "I've had enough". So I think they will work it out on their own..its just our jobs to make sure it doesn't go to far, or get too out of hand..but I don't think your babe is being aggressive, just probably trying to initiate play, and kinda grow into his own.

Thanks, that relieves me! I'm going to get him into a puppy play group as soon as I can so he can have some fun and learn to be a good friend...

Alice tried to do that to Emily and Emily put her in her place. Emily is the pack leader and no one will mount her. It's a dominance thing. I think Oliver is testing his limits with the pups. I think they usually work it out amongst themselves.

The only time I have ever stepped in was when my yellow lab that was around 6 -7 months old had the neighbor kid(3-4 years old) pinned on the ground and humping him. :)

Wicket's mom

The only time I have ever stepped in was when my yellow lab that was around 6 -7 months old had the neighbor kid(3-4 years old) pinned on the ground and humping him. ;)

LOL, my cousins had a GSD mix puppy when I was around 7 or 8, and he would do the same to me...