MaggiesMom

Maggie is four months (we have had her since she was about 2 months) old and to date we have only had one day where she has not had a single accident in the house :roflmao: . She was doing great for awhile with the clicker when we first brought her home at 9 weeks. She had a few accidents, but was progressing. Then somehow she got a bladder infection and was having to urinate constantly so I think she back tracked a bit :o . It seems like she realizes we dont want her to, if she start and we try to startle her to pick her up and show her where to go she will run away from us and empty the rest of her bladder when she gets far enough away. The other day she even went to lay down and pee. We have been using the enzyme spray to cover he spots so she wont go back. We have tried the clicker again. Im not sure what to do anymore. She had a clear urine dipstick after her antibiotics, I guess I need to get another stick from work and make sure she hasnt got a recurrent infection. Im not sure what to do anymore, this is the first puppy I have raised myself, any suggestions? :wiggle2:

I was going to suggest a recheck, poor baby, if she lays down to pee, it may be hurting her to go...hugs to the bebe, keep us posted.

I'd go to see the vet. She's not laying down because she's frightened is she? Some dogs will lay down and pee if they are scared.

is there a reason your using the clicker for potty training? Just curious as this is the first ive ever heard of it....

My Lea always pee'd twice has a small pup..... she outgrew it as her bladder got stronger.....

however pee pee pads IMO are more confusing for the pups... it gets them thinking that they can eliminate anywhere in the house.... Some dogs have success with it, some dont. Lea wanted outside potty, Bert was pad trained and outdoor trained at first but then after I got lea trained really good I never bought pads again and started training him more for outside too..... took me a few weeks to get him trained to go outside... but finally he got it and hasnt had an accident in this house in months....

Lea still ocassionally poo's in the house but never pee's....

Sometimes shouting NO does disturb them and scare them... then they will just go off and pee somewhere else...... sadly enough you may have to shampoo your carpets as well... or keep her in a gated area until she learns to potty on pads.... I just always too mine outside since having multiple dogs is easier to deal with and no messes to have to clean up and less money spent on pads....

MaggiesMom

When she had her infection she would go two or three times when she would go out, would do quarter-half dollar size pees in the house thirty minutes after she just went out etc. Im a nurse so I have access to dipsticks and I tested her myself and tool her to the vet. She doesn't seem to have these symptoms now although she could have a milder infection this time. I have not used potty pads with her, she has gone outside from day one because I didn't want to confuse her. I did the clicker for potty training as well because my parents used it with their puppy and had good results. I have read about it for training in general but not for house training specifically so I am not sure. It was working prior to her infection :yikes: Im going to take another stick home from work today and make sure. She has only laid down and pottied once and I don't think she did it just to pee, my husband was the one who saw it and made it out like she had been laying down awhile and when she got up he saw it. The only day she didn't have any accidents I took her out about every hour, but I've read she should be able to hold it a lot longer for her age? We have had several days of doing that where she still will go a small amount inside. We have a carpet cleaner so we can do that.

About how many lbs is she???

if she is just four months, she will be able to hold it for 3 to 5 hours

**** depeding on size **** LOL

Lea didnt reach her 6lb weight until she was like 9 months old so up until that point she WENT ALOT lol for the past 3 months I think ive been able to relax a little and not worry so much with her........ so after you are for sure again the infection is gone.... then it may possibly due to her size...

I have heard of clicker training for commands but never potty lol it intrigued me

MaggiesMom

Her last wt was 3 weeks ago - 4 PBS 8 oz. So maybe that's part of it, she has an appt Monday so we get a new weight then!