Potty training rescue dog

Carolina Girl

I rescued Ozzy last week from a kill shelter. It was his last day.....I could not resist him! He is for sure NOT potty trained but will use it outside when I take him out. I am a teacher and have been at home with him everyday, so I can take him out as often as I like. Over the weekend, we tried out a crate. I assumed I would use one when I went back to work next week. I figured I would start out putting him in 30 minutes to an hour at first. I put him in and he freaked out! As soon as I shut the door, he peed. He was flipping over and going crazy. He was not barking but making this moaning sound like someone was hurting him. His eyes got huge and he just had this terrible look on his face. I let him out right away. Now, here is my question: I will be going back to work next week. I thought that I would use a crate while away. I realize that I just can't do that to him. What should I do? Leave him out? Leave out puppy pads? I am new to this and not sure what else I can do. Help!

kcsheperd

What a great thing you did! Ozzy is thanking his lucky stars that you saved him!;)

Do you have a kitchen or laundry room that you could put him in with a baby gate? I work full time as well, and Payslee & Sawyer stay in the kitchen while I'm at work. I put a pallet down for them and they just rest the whole time I'm gone. I used to put potty pads down, but they never used them, and now they just wait till I get home to go outside..Its worked great for me, that way they are not so confined, and can stretch out if they want. Would that be a possibility?

Carolina Girl

I do have a laundry room. (or the kitchen) I have this vision of him peeing and pooping and rolling all in it, and me coming home everyday to a poopy-pee-pee dog! I know that sounds ridiculous......He doesn't seem to get the "poop and pee-pee are not for playing with" concept. I guess he has never been taught.

Gotta take baby steps with him. Being a rescue it is hard to know his past circumstances. When he does potty outside or on a pad if you are using them.....praise, praise, praise him. It may take awhile and you may come home to a dirty puppy, but he will finally get it. There are a lot of threads here about training - just do a search and read as much as you can and of course if you find things you have questions about, just ask. There are so many knowledgeabel people here that I know will help you. Good luck,

FairyTail Josette

Welcome to Chatter. I love your avatar pic, Ozzy is a sweetheart. :hysterical:

I would not use the crate again. It sounds like some type of abuse or neglect may have occurred while he was in a crate. :( Poor baby, that's awful.

I would recommend an X-PEN in your kitchen or laundry room. There's a quick video on this link showing an x-pen and you would want to put a bed in the x-pen, not a crate. If you're laundry or kitchen are somewhat on the small side, you could put up a baby gate at the door way instead of an x-pen. I don't have any experience with rescues, but, know patience is key with Ozzy now. When you go to work, it may be a bit of trial and error for what works. I don't expect him to become potty trained for awhile, it takes time, consistency, and rewarding him with treats when he does the expected behavior. You could try potty pads, or newspaper in the area, along with his bed, water, and a few toys, as the video described. You may want to turn on a radio or tv while you're away to give him some security. Can you return home at lunch time to let him outdoors? This will help him to learn the training process. Take it one day at a time.

Bless your heart for rescuing such an adorable little guy! Good luck. :)

Carolina Girl

Thanks for the tips! I think that I will try with a gate at the laundry room. I will see how it goes the first day and then decide what to do after that. He may do fine. He is such a funny boy, I can't remember life before him!

CrazyTzuLady

The ladies have given you some great advice so I won't repeat it. I just wanted to say Welcome and that Ozzy is beautiful. :D What a lucky little boy to have a mommy like you. Good luck with the potty training, he will get it eventually just be patient.

Carolina Girl

I went in to work a few hours today. I put Ozzy in the laundry room. The whole time I was away, all I could think about was him peeing and pooping and playing in it. I thought for sure I would have to give him a bath when I got home. He did not poop or pee while I was away. I put his toys and bed in there with him, and he did fine. I came flying home, ran to the laundry room, threw the door open and he was just laying there on his little bed! It was only for 5 hours. So, when I go back next week it may be a different story. But this is a start!

borzoimom

Well a crate will not always work with a rescued dog. The reason is- if the dog is use to filth it expects it.

Femka was totally not housebroken at all. I used praise when she went out- ie this is where to go, and reward in doing it in coming back in the home. I also restricted where she had access too- ie within my sight. Learn her behaviors or predict when time to go out. It took time granted- I mean months! But soon she learned if I do it out there, I get praise and a cookie and otherwise mom watched me. Soon- actually almost like a light switch with consistancy, the light came on.

One big reason is that she learned within the house was the "den" - ie you do not foul it so to speak...

Take it slow- even if one room at a time. Take out when needed and reward. With a rescue especially remember the dog is use to living in filth probably, or at least no idea not to soil the 'den".

Take your time- one room at a time. ie- they get uh the kitchen then go out- come in ( clean home) treat etc... Then expand but keep vigilant. It does take time, and I understand what you are going through.

Carolina Girl

It has been really tough as far as potty training goes. I have never owned a dog and at first did not really know how to train one. At first I thought that he was trained already. I did not see any pee in the house. But I realized he was using it on the area rug under my dining room table. He must have peed there 20 times. It was stinky and smelly. I had it cleaned, but he kept going to it. I finally took it up. I now realize that I can't take my eyes off of him. If I didn't love him so much I don't know if I could stand it!

I am so glad he did well in the laundry room while you were gone. I am sure he will continue to do so, he will begin to know this is his area and feel safe there. The only thing I was going to suggest would be to use a gate rather than close the door. Just in case while you are gone longer, should he decide to scratch your door, this would help aleviate that. Just a thought.

Carolina Girl

Cathy, great advice. I went in this morning for a few hours and when I got home I reallized that he did a lot of scratching on the door. There were little white flecks of paint everywhere. I had to go to Target anyway, so I went ahead and picked up a gate.