What Commands do your dogs know?

So like the title says, what can your dog do? I LOVE training Phoebe, a clicker savvy dog is so easy to train it's amazing. Using the three behaviors touch (poke something with nose), target (touch something with paw) and hold (put something in mouth) Phoebe will experiment with anything I hold in front of her or point to and from there I can shape the behavior into what I want without ever luring with a treat. I never have to make her do something, she changes up her behavior until she gets closer to what I want and eventually gets it exactly how I want. From there I add the word (teaching her the word actually takes the longest of everything). In one training session (the amount of time it takes her to go through the number of treats I get out of a piece of bologna, chicken, ham or other cold cut) I could get her to "say her prayers" with a hand signal and jump onto a chair, put her paws up on the back of the chair then lift a paw and wave it (I call this "wave to your fans" but she doesn't understand the cue yet, just hand signal). She loves when she gets things right and hears me click the clicker.

Anyway this is what she knows with either a word or hand cue:

Slow (slow down while walking to prevent pulling) I didn't clicker train this though.

Sit

Down

Off (of furniture or lap)

Touch

Target

Hold (we are not done with this, she cannot do it for more than three seconds yet)

Finish Right

Say your prayers

Wave to your fans

wave

High five

Paw (person shakes it)

Stand up on back legs

Heel

Twirl (turn in circle)

BAM (I point hand like gun, she goes up on back legs, I say bam! and she falls over onto her side and rolls onto back, she decided she would also like to shove her front paws into the air while lying there)

Rollover

Wait (when I open a door) I didn't clicker train this

come

Crawl

Front (for Rally-O if we ever do it)

She is learning Finish left but is having a really hard time, I just don't think she enjoys this one, this is the most trouble I've ever had with a command.

What do your guys know?

Edited by Bubsie
MisterMom

Nothing.

BUT, I have been trained to :

Feed me

Play with me

Time to go to bed

Tummy rub time

Open the door

Wipe my butt

Leave me alone

Treat time

Let's go for a ride

Time for a walk

Come watch me pee

and a few others I forget!

Edited by MisterMom

LOL well we're not doing so well on training. But Biscotti knows these by vocal and hand command:

Sit

Down

Stay

Wait

Dance (she'll dance on her hind legs for a pretty long time)

That's about all we've worked on. But I would like to teach her more.

Wicket's mom

Wow, Phoebe knows a lot of things! Wicket knows:

sit

stay

come

down

lay down

give paw; other one

stand up

and his newest one is: bang! (I make a gun with my thumb & index and say bang and Wicket flops over on one side and lets his head drop)

Brutus knows:

sit

stay

come

up

down

lay down

give paw; other one

high five; other side; two

stand up (he can hold it forever)

stand up and spin

Bert is my best commander :dede: lol

Come, Sit, Down, Up, Stay, Leave it, Drop it, Off, No, Wait, Okay, Out, Finish

Lea knows

Come, Sit, Down, Up, Leave it, Off, Wait, Finish.......... Stay, Drop it, No, Okay, Out

Maci she is my lazy butt, but natually obedient, she does what you want her to do without commands lol

Sit, Down, Heel, Up.......... the rest is a lost cause with her.... She wont stay no matter how hard you try when treats are involved....

Now my finish is doing number 2 outside, and OFF means get out of my seat lol

Nothing.

Feed me

Play with me

Time to go to bed

Tummy rub time

Open the door

Wipe my butt

Leave me alone

Treat time

Let's go for a ride

Time for a walk

Come watch me pee

LMAO!!

Well mine know

come

sit

stay

back

speak

drop it

up (Chico will jump on the coffee table)

up (go upstairs)

down

Josie knows:

sit

down

sit up pretty

roll over

gimme five

gimme ten

dance

off

wanna eat

outside

drop it

shake it

come (sometimes she does, sometimes not)

wait (sits at a corner til I say go)

walk

go bye bye (runs to door)

daddys home (runs to door)

Maddy knows:

sit

down

sit up pretty

roll over

dance

off

wanna eat

outside

drop it

shake it

come (sometimes he does, sometimes not)

wait (sits at a corner til I say go)

walk

go bye bye (runs to door)

daddys home (runs to door)

Now, that is not to say they do EVERY one EVERY time, but training is always a work in progress at our house.... :dede:

Great jobs everyone, some of these sounds really cute! I forgot to mention that Phoebe was taught to close doors on command (small doors like cabinets). And she does jump up onto things on command but I didn't teach that, her owners did because it gives her permission to go on their laps.

I can't imagine not training things, I may become a dog trainer so for me training is one of my greatest joys. Watching a dog work his mind and get it is so fun. I do one session with Phoebe every day and she loves it more than anything, it is great for bonding and I found it really helped me to read her, I can tell instantly when I'm confusing her, when she's happy or unhappy with what we are doing, when she finally understands something r when she's still guessing, when I'm not being happy enough for her, she can tell instantly when I'm frustrated (and she promptly shuts down due to abuse from her owners) so we have both learned a lot about each other through training.

This is her doing Bam RIGHT after she learned it, so she's a bit off (she would drop before I said bam), don't mind my voice :dede:

th_Picture003.jpg

It's a very short chain of behaviors so I back-chained (teach last behavior first, then connect behavior in front of it and so on). First I taught her to lay on her side with a hand signal(which she decided to turn into laying on her back once I connected the standing on her legs, she adds her own style to many commands. I wasn't picky) Once she was comfortable doing that I taught her to stand on her back legs. After four or so standing on back leg successes I would have her stand on her back leg and immediately lay on her side. It was luck that she decided to fling herself onto her side with no care for personal safety. At first you could see more of a break between the two commands, this is an earlier video (I tried to tape before the session-I have two videos of that where she is still a little confused and slower-then I have two after this training session one of which I showed you). So this one shows how she stands first then goes back down and lies on her side/back, eventually she got so excited and began rally flinging herself which she got jackpotted for and eventually I stopped rewarding ones that are like this video:

th_Picture002.jpg

Now this is the very last one I did, after the training session for that day. It shows the standing behavior better than the first one I showed you did but she breaks early (my fault): th_Picture005.jpg

Everyone loves that command, I brought her to an elementary school and she showed off to the kids and they were amazed by it, I've been trying to come up with other cute and entertaining tricks. I mean I get pretty ecstatic when she heels nicely but nobody else is impressed LOL.

Edited by Bubsie

Nothing.

Feed me

Play with me

Time to go to bed

Tummy rub time

Open the door

Wipe my butt

Leave me alone

Treat time

Let's go for a ride

Time for a walk

Come watch me pee

ROTFLOL LOL LOL I LOVE this because I have been trained the same way!

Everytime I get on the telephone, these two beg for a treat! They know that to get them to leave me alone, 9 times out of 10, I give them one. Shame on me!

FairyTail Josette

Great jobs everyone, some of these sounds really cute! I forgot to mention that Phoebe was taught to close doors on command (small doors like cabinets). And she does jump up onto things on command but I didn't teach that, her owners did because it gives her permission to go on their laps.

I can't imagine not training things, I may become a dog trainer so for me training is one of my greatest joys. Watching a dog work his mind and get it is so fun. I do one session with Phoebe every day and she loves it more than anything, it is great for bonding and I found it really helped me to read her, I can tell instantly when I'm confusing her, when she's happy or unhappy with what we are doing, when she finally understands something r when she's still guessing, when I'm not being happy enough for her, she can tell instantly when I'm frustrated (and she promptly shuts down due to abuse from her owners) so we have both learned a lot about each other through training.

This is her doing Bam RIGHT after she learned it, so she's a bit off (she would drop before I said bam), don't mind my voice :)

th_Picture003.jpg

Wow, Phoebe is so smart! She closes doors on command? She's very intelligent and you are an awesome trainer! The video is so cute and funny! Hubby and I watched it like 4 times. lol

To answer your question, my babes know the basic commands, nothing fancy, like Phoebe. :)

luvinpreciousntoby

Precious knows...

sit

down

come

back (backs away from the door)

drop

leave it

situp

gimme five

dance

fancy dance (twirling in circles)

stay

wait

toby knows

sit

stay

leave it

wait

back

gimme five

high five (he sits up and throws both his paws up onto my hand)

down

we think he's doing pretty good for 5 months with spuratic training.. lol

ShihtzuBeauty

Eve and Taffy know:

Sit

Stay

Down

Dance (for a cookie)

High Five

Shake

ByeBye

Mama's Going To Bed

We kind of slacked off a bit w/the boys when they came terrible I know. :( We have tried to teach them "shake" "high five" but no go. I used to really worry that they never would pick up on "come" just in case they slipped out of their collars but now we strictly use harnesses which helps that worry But I do worry that one of them espicially Eve may one day slip out the door which she's done in the past it's been awhile but she's shown she'll do it. I wish they would learn that command just for extra peace of mind for mama.

Choco and JoJo know:

Sit

Stay

ByeBye

Mama's Going To Bed

borzoimom

Welcome to Borzoi land...

Command- then translation...

" I'm going to bed"- dogs walk towards the steps to follow before I even up...

" Need to take their food out" - dogs run to refrigerator for anything I might hand out extra.

" WHERE is it????" - dogs look at other person....

" Honey- can you help me...." = dogs go to the door the person left to greet....

" Hey dude- knock it off!"- dogs go lay down.... lol

" Let me grab the laundry..." dogs look up, and if near by, trot to the steps to watch me go down....

" Hold on now...." dogs know something good is coming.... and don't pace the floor.

" I have the towels"... dogs- bath time....

"darn-it!" - ohoh- something po'd mom.... go sleep quick!

" such a pretty girl.. dogs- " OHHHHHHHHHHHHH THE WHOLE HOUSE IS PRETTY- LETS EVERYONE PARTY!

" LAY down" - dogs- end of story- go lay down....

" Who is that?" - dogs- someone is in the driveway....

" alarm set?" dogs- no more outside tonight....

"hey-" dogs mom is watching me... better behave....

/edit- any german language... dogs- Mom means business!

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.... ( YOU HAVE to understand how funny this is. I have shepherds for about 25 years- but borzoi speak in sentences... lol)

Edited by borzoimom
Ozzy'sMommy

oz isn't mega talented or anything but he knows some commands...

off

sit

down

up

dance

high 5

back (walks backwards)

wait (at corners for traffic lights to turn green before crossing)

stay

come

drop it

leave it

let's go (in the morning when leaving for a walk)

soft (if he's playing too rough)

bedtime (goes to the bedroom and jumps on the bed)

go get your ball (picks up his ball and brings it)

potty outside (go waits at the back door)

i think i'm missing a few...

shihtzulovers100

To answer your question, my babes know the basic commands, nothing fancy, like Phoebe. :)

Count mine Tzus to your Josey team.

They do basic commands only.

They are not serious at school, and their teacher knows them very well.

To them, school is for fun and play. LOL!!!

Edited by shihtzulovers100
tunisianswife

been so fun reading all your posts. I have to say that my tzu is no 'Rhodes Scholar'. first off...he is deaf. Not sure if I mentioned that.

My lhasa knows '

'sit' -------when I feel like it and at times you may have to push my butt down

'want to go bye bye?' never misses that one

'leave it'.......when I feel like it and it is not interesting enough to really research

'let's go peepee'. always responds to that one.

My dogs know all the standard commands. But nobody responds to COME but Jessie and Betsy. And none of them consistently respond to anything else at all.

But we all get along just fine anyway.

mr.coffee

Well, we're still working on consistency, but we're getting better every day. Harley knows:

Sit

Lay Down

Stay

Come

Heel

Come On (a more casual come/heel, like hey, the food's this way or I'm going upstairs...)

Up (on hind feet)

Hup (climb stairs)

Down (off a lap, or in general)

Leave It

Drop It

Gimme (his toys...)

Inside (his crate)

House (as in, go in the house)

Now, I say he knows them. He doesn't always do them. It's funny, today we were practicing Lay Down, which has taken him some time to wrap his furry head around, and I was mixing it up with Sit, Stay, and Come. He did marvelously and got lots of clicks, treats and praise. So I take him out side for a potty break, he does his thing, then I go, "sit, lay down, stay," and walk across the yard. Great, he stays put. A quick "Harley, come!" and what does he do? Lays there in the grass just happy as can be!

That's okay, he's working on it.

-m