so up and down...ughh

Well...sophie has been doing so well potty training. I had her in the crate and she was doing so well. No more night time waking up...no potty in the house...and such. I started giving her more freedom, but she started going in my other 2 rooms to poop or tinkle. So I told her NO Outside took it out in the grass to show her...and cleaned up with vinager. I finally gave in and bought two small gates to keep her out of the rest of my house. She can only come in 3 rooms now.

Last night she went out at 11 and was barking by 12 so I was already up..and took her out. So...she figured at 1 she would bark again....no...I told her no and ignored her...so she went back to sleep. How fast she wanted to start barking to get out. All it took was me giving in once. Ughhhh

Then I didnt realize she had to go out and she ran over to poop inside again. Is there a way you can train them to notify you to go out? I saw one store had bells they could ring. I think she isnt the smartest doggy...(that is sooo mean) but she doesnt bark to go out during the day or anything.

I am back to crating her all day. I feel bad....but I dont want to deal with accidents. I am trying to go out a little more while I have time to ease myself... :D Today she looked so sad...she wouldnt even eat her breakfast. She just sat there. Then the minute she came out...she tried to climb the couches to look for leftover kids food. I know she was hungry. I just took away her food. She can have it for dinner now. She is such a stinker! :yay:

RedyreRotties

Are you rewarding her for outdoor elimination? If not, start now. Make the rewards something she gets at no other time, and make them VERY VERY DELICIOUS.

Go out with her, and EACH time she eliminates, give the function a name (I say "go pee pee" or "go poop". Say this WHILE she is urinating or defecating. Do not say the words unless she is doing it. Keep saying them in a pleasant tone as long as she is going, and the minute she is done, stuff her face with goodies, and praise praise.

Keep up with using the gates and supervision.

Personally I would not let her see me clean up or pay any attention to any accidents in the house. It is funny what dogs will interpret as attention, so I put dogs away to clean up if I have to.

And last, so many people rush to get the puppies out of the crate. Don't make that mistake. Using the crate and preventing mistakes in the house makes this become an ingrained habit of doing the right thing.

Hang in there, she'll get it!

Yesterday I did treats at potty time...so she wouldnt pee after the first time. She ran around jumping up and down...waiting for a treat. I could have killed her. Little Stinker.

then she refused to eat her dinner...she just ran around looking for treats. Thats how yummy the are...I guess.

So she went to bed really hungry. She work up today and ate all her food but I am a little worried about treats for potty if she is going to go so nuts for them. It is like peeing left her brain and snacks took over.

RedyreRotties

Keep the treats out of sight until the pottying is happening. OR you can use treats of slightly less value. The excitement over the treats will diminish if you are consistent with only providing them after potty time.

Treats can (and should) be VERY SMALL, just a tiny little bite for her. It should not be enough to spoil her dinner. :P