barking at hubby

tunisianswife

little rehomedog(sorry, haven't renamed him yet) is very quiet. he does however, bark at hubby when he comes in, and this morning he barked when he got up. no nipping, no aggressive bark, no growling, just a 'who are you?' bark. I think he is more used to being around females. the former male owner told me yesterday that it 'basically was my wife's dog. he's not used to me" and he did sit down on the back floor when he tried to coax hiim out but did not act like he had been abused by the man. didn't nip at him or growl when he tried to put on the leash(which he didn't use in his prior home).

any recommendations? this is a new issue for me, as the other two never did. well, I take that back. I had the lhasa for about a month when he became so protective of me and would growl at hubby if he tried to hug me, or sit next to me. lhasa would sit like a guard dog and not take his eyes off hubby's hands. he stopped that after about 3 weeks by me each time telling him 'no'.

Yup, lots of treats and fun times with hubby.

tunisianswife

hmmm, well that poses a bit of a problem. Hubby loves me so therefore he loves the dogs, but has nothing to do with the care, etc. Dogs were something new to him to get used to when we got married. He is muslim and in their religion, dogs are not seen as something 'warm and fuzzy',shall we say.I know that is a hard concept for most of us to grasp, as probably many of you also grew up with a dog in the house at all times.

that being said, he worries when something is wrong with them, etc. and generally he thinks they are cute. hey, he tolerates them in a bed w/him! lol Many of his friends and acquaintances that share the same faith I know would not be willing to share an environment with even one, so that says alot about what a great husband I have.

I did tell him to just speak softly to the dog, and not walk fast as he approaches. (sorry, maybe not the best type of advice but this is a new issue for me).

My husband is not home alot, he works very long days so perhaps when we get the chance to share the evening together, I could have him just sit with us on the sofa. maybe get used to his smell, etc.

thanks for the replies thus far. anything else anyone has to offer is much appreciated.

borzoimom

There is hope but it takes two to work at it. Femka was terrifed of men, any man as abused in her " former life". If my husband entered the room, she would bolt in fright. Never barked or showed aggression, but obviously terrified! Her health was not good either, and about the same time, we found out just how low her thyroid was. She started having to take pills, one two times a day. Well, the times just happened to be at 5 am and 5pm. ( it was winter time and we did not let the dogs out after dark when we lived on the mountain..). Femka did not understand living in a house either, and things were going so slowly, while some improvement, but it was slow. Femka loved cheese. It did not take her long to figure out " daddy" did " the magic cheese" ( ie actually the thyroid pill) as he got up at 5am and came home at 5pm. Soon " daddy" was linked to 'magic cheese" his arrivals etc. It took about 3 weeks but soon she adored him! The 'daddy' gives me magic cheese- I love this man. Within 3 weeks, she would look for him. I never gave her the magic cheese for a long time. He did it- every time. Sure enough, she so looked forward to MC ( magic cheese ), and she bonded with him so quickly. She just needed to be shown at least he was okay. We did the same approach with other men ( step son, or son in laws etc) and soon not only the fear of a stranger in the house was removed, but men in general.

I would suggest you do the same thing. Your husband is to be the one that gives a special treat ( like a piece of cheese or something similar) but him and ONLY him will give that one treat. Talk softly hand the treat, make no overatures... then go about his routine he does. Every time he leaves the room or the house, do it again. He also gives this treat when he gets up in the morning. ( ie any arrival). You can pick whatever treat you want, but it has to be just him will the dog receive it from. ( if you dont want to use treat, maybe a certain other treat or cookie etc...) ( or even cheerios- whatever...)

Also- you are NOT to comfort the dog if the dog barks at hubby. No " MOmmy to the rescue" as all that is doing is praising " the game" or the alarm of " you have every right to be afraid. Remember- a dog really has no clue you can hear them ( like a toddler doesn't know you can hear them in another room.. It is important you just sort of look away, casual, non challant and go right on with what you are doing. Also when hubby comes home, you are to keep it casual. Meaning if normally you ( making this up) run to the door to greet him, you are helping to start the excitement. Its important you remain calm, non challant, la-ti-da etc... Also any serious converstaion that has to take place or one that might be heated or excited is to wait until later on. We use to make a game of this.. My husband would come home,, helllo femka- how are you? Oh magic cheese time... ( trots to kitchen...) turn and look at me smiling casual voice " I had a ***** day... " smiles low casual voice etc... lol. It became a joke " How was your day...?" ohhhh well ya know.... it blah blah... lol.

tunisianswife

thank you so much, Michelle. I discovered today that he looooves cheese. LOL

I will try to get hubby to do this. I think he will go along with it.

thanks again.

edit to say: your poor baby. just a shame that has to happen but so glad that diligence on the part of all the men in your life/house helped your babe to overcome this.

Edited by tunisianswife
borzoimom

Yea tell him if nothing else its for the training period.. Now my husband adored femka, fell for her hard! It was obvious to him she needed him!

/edit- and remember- only your husband gives the cheese.. Him and only him....

Edited by borzoimom

Susan, I am guessing from your post that you are American and married a Tunisian man. It sounds like it would be a very interesting way to learn another culture! Does your husband speak another language, and if so, do you know it? Did you meet here, or there? Do you have children?

Sorry if I sound nosey--I just am curious and interested. PM me if you prefer not to be so public.

Your husband sounds like a wonderful guy~

tunisianswife

oh star, not nosey at all. lol yes, I'm American, he was born/raised in Tunisia. he moved here in the late 90's, he lived here in Cincinnati, I'm from NY state. I taught English as Second language classes online and he was one of my 'students'. no children.(I was 38 when we got married)

yes, I've always been a travel bug and love learning about other cultures. all I did when I was single was travel on my free time. so it is a good match. been married 8 yrs. I've been twice to Tunisia to visit the family, who are all wonderful and so welcoming.

his primary language is Arabic, French is secondary(was a former French colony), and English tertiary-and sometimes not very good. LOL bad teacher, I was! We are trying to come up with a name for rehomedog that is easy for him to remember. Casey seems to be the winner.

I do not speak the Tunisian dialect; just a few of the basics.

did I just hijack my own thread? haha

tunisianswife

Since you're not a native Ohioan, and I'm originally a Detroiter, does that mean I can start cracking Ohio jokes now? :P

-m

haha why sure! sorry I'd have no comebacks-never been to Detroit and you know how I loved N.O. :D

just an update:

i happened to have bought some natural Duck Jerky online and guess who loves it?

Hubby tried the cheese yesterday but he didn't want it. he did it again this morning but no go. so I remembered how he loved the duck jerky and he would take it from hubby. He got so happy that he would accept it he told him 'good boy'.....followed by a clapping of the hands...well that sent him right back under the table. LOL I guess this is a learning experience for my husband also. he feels badly because he said that Tini and Peanut never barked at him. I told him it has to be consistant and very calm and gentle so we are making some progress.

borzoimom

haha why sure! sorry I'd have no comebacks-never been to Detroit and you know how I loved N.O. :P

just an update:

i happened to have bought some natural Duck Jerky online and guess who loves it?

Hubby tried the cheese yesterday but he didn't want it. he did it again this morning but no go. so I remembered how he loved the duck jerky and he would take it from hubby. He got so happy that he would accept it he told him 'good boy'.....followed by a clapping of the hands...well that sent him right back under the table. LOL I guess this is a learning experience for my husband also. he feels badly because he said that Tini and Peanut never barked at him. I told him it has to be consistant and very calm and gentle so we are making some progress.

Tell him at this stage its the simple reward and " I ask nothing from you"- casual. I am sure he was happy but its important he keeps his 'excitment' down at this stage. Also tell him to keep eye contact casual. ( glance at the dog, look away real casual. ) Even better if you husband can do a gentle calm slow exhale. In dog language so to speak, that means basically- " you are cool, I am just being casual-... "

tunisianswife

that is what I told him, that you and your husband didn't make a big deal with your meeting,greeting, just very non-chalant.

borzoimom

Ask any guest ahead of time to do the same thing. " We are just re-inforcing training.." type thing. Most people will comply.

tunisianswife

today was a big achievement--no barking. just a bit of mild gruffing at first. Casey had been at the sitter's over the weekend while i worked, so this morning was the first time he had seen daddy. He didn't go over to the sofa and bark at all while dad was still sleeping. when dad got up, he mildly gruffed and just sat and watched dad go into the bathroom. when he got out of the shower, he just sat there. proud moment! dad gave him his duck jerky, and when he went out the door, he just sat at the door and watched him leave. YAY!!!

thanks, Michelle for that great advice. I am sure that is what did it. the duck jerky was kept close at hand upon wakeups and before leaving the house. He remembered.

Thats wonderful news! It sounds like to your husband was like mine- willing to help with the process. It won't take long now before they are real buddies!

( BTW Susan-... Now lookie here- don't you come back on this forum two weeks from now and say " rehomed ( fill in name) loves my husband more than he does me.. " lol because I am going to reply of " get the treats out mom.." but I won't say " I told you so.." :D

:blush-anim-cl: