first time food aggression-should I give a free pass?

tunisianswife

Casey got neutered today, did very well. I let him have a little water first and did fine w/it so after a while I let him eat some kibble soaked in water. He did fine w/that gobbled it up. I waited a couple hours and fed him a little bit of rice and chicken that I had cooked up for the boys. this was the first time he has ever had rice/chicken in the short time he has been here, possibly ever. He loved it. While he was eating this, the other two sat there watching him. they had already eaten and I think were just more or less being curious. He growled a little bit all the while still looking at his food and eating. I went to move the other two away and before I knew it, he went into an all out mode and went after Tini first. First thing I could think of was 'stitches and incision!' I went to get Tini (who weighs 36#) and Peanut decided to get into the mix and he lunged out at him. I was trying to scooop him up too(my mistake...don't ask me why I thought to grab 2 dogs instead of just grabbing up the instigator) and he went after Tini again. I put both them into the bathroom and shut the door.

This is the first time this has happened. None of them has shown food aggression from day #1. they can and will go to each other's dish(you know what happens-all 3 have a dish but for some reason, they think the other guy has something better) and will eat from the same dish without incident.

I placed him up on the counter and (duh susan moment) calmly asked him what just happened. (I know, don't shoot me) I guess part of me was in shock because he is A#1 sweet calm get along w/everybody everything dog. He looked so guilty, diverted his eyes from me, put his head down. I did not yell or scream at all. I was actually so involved trying to break things up and separate that I didn't even say a word. all action.

I'm giving him a 'free pass' because perhaps of the anesthesia affects, being hungry after surgery???

not sure what I'm asking. lol I'm hoping he hasn't developed a new food aggression. hmmm, I'm just perplexed.

I'll be the first to put my hands out for a good slapping. I don't know if the way I handled was correct. all criticisms welcome, suggestions, similar experiences, etc.

I do know that I will be right on top of them while feeding. maybe separate feeding for a few days.

Given that he was still recovering from surgery/anesthesia, I'd let it go. But supervise closely for the next meals. I'd also start requiring each dog to sit while food is placed, then release them to eat.