retraining achamp that is just stubborn

I have had Izzy since she was 6 weeks old. She potty trained real easy. Now my husband was sick and in intensive care for 8 days. My son came over and stayed with the babies so they would still feel home.

Well, when I came back Izzy had decided that she was totally mad at me for leaving her for so long. She would not even look at me. Then when she did look at me, she would look me in the eye and poop or pee on the living room carpet. This was not forgeting what to do. This was just plain mad and stubborn.

I show that I am not happy with this behavior and am withholding treats until little miss izzy bella, gets down off of her high horse. Down here with us commoners.

Any other suggestions that might help? All help is appreciated.

Tzu's do get little attitudes don't they! :o I had this problem with my Pandora. She used to get mad at me for going to work and reward me with PEE on my bed! :) The only way I was able to stop this little behavior is either crating her, or shutting my door! I couldn't ever tell when she was going to be irritated.. Some days it wouldn't bother her, and others it would.. I eventually just found it easier to put her in the kitchen (With an exercise pen) because she hated the crate..and that way she could'nt get 'revenge' on me.. and I wouldn't be upset with her.. You could also try baby-gates..which I would have used, but my Lhasa can jump like a deer and he would just knock over the gates, or jump out..so I had to get a very tall EX pen..which worked for me. Just a couple of ideas..Hope they help..Tzu's are stubborn little biscuits, but you can't ever stay mad long b/c of those sweet faces! :blush:

Well I will take a stab at this.

It could be that the dog is trying to get your attention- ie smart enough to know if they do this potty, they will get attention. Granted- have it be negative attention, it is still attention.

Try giving lots of attention when you know won't do that. ( ie playing outside, or playing after coming back in from potty in the house.) If the dog does " make a mistake" without saying a word, put the dog up. Clean it up when the dog is out of sight.

I know this sounds backwards, but believe me- a Borzoi can be the queen or Kind of sulk! This is how we deal with it. And it works!

tunisianswife

I have seen similar posts regarding the above on a different forum. They suggest not to 'correct' the dog or 'shame' them when they do it. without saying a word, pick them up and put them in a crate or puppy-proof room and clean it up. and go back to the retraining phase of potty training, praise w/treats or toys after each potty, etc., take them out every 1-2 hrs, just like you would if you were training them from the beginning.

*edit to say that I'm sorry about your husband, it has to be a very stressful time for your whole family, including your furbabes and I guess that is important to remember too; their routine has been interrupted. I hope your husband is on the mend.

Edited by tunisianswife

I'd say back to boot camp. Begin training again like when you first got her. She'll get the message

Thanks everyone. We did the restart and she is already doing much better. I guess she didn't want to start all over as much as I didn't.

My husband is already doing much better too. Thank you.

Carol, I am so sorry mostly to hear your husband was not well. I am glad to hear he is doing better. Is he home from the hospital or still there?

Also sorry about the little tzu issue, but I really think it will be very temporary....they so understand our feelings. I think they often know when we are upset even before we do.

Sending prayers of healing for your husband.