barking and biting

I hope it's ok to ask for advice for someone else, but my sister is having a terrible time with her puppy, Abby. Abby is a 14 week old cocker/poodle mix who barks at anyone she doesn't know and tries to bite people who try to pet her. She's not mouthing or playing either. She actually did bite the groomer last week and drew blood! The lady wouldn't groom her because my sister forgot her shot records, but she said she would likely have to be muzzled. She wasn't taken out in public much, as she wasn't through with her shots, but as soon as she was good to go and was taken out, this problem manifested itself.

I haven't witnessed the behavior, but my sister said it's really bad and embarrassing. I told her it's also very dangerous for Abby if she bites the wrong person and that she needs to do something asap because this will only get worse and become more serious as Abby gets older.

I don't have any experience with this - thank goodness Oliver loves everyone! I know it's very unusual for shih tzu to behave this way, so maybe none of you have had this problem, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. I know there's a wealth of experience here! :dede:

All puppies need to be taught the NO BITE command. All my Tzus as puppies would not bite hard, but those sharp little teeth penetrate. I teach the NO BITE first !! No BITE and a tap on the nose usually gets their attention. Even my biter Coco will only mouthe at me.

Darla, I wish I had some great advice, but I have never dealt with that. There are a number of members that have a lot of training background and am sure someone will give you some great advice.

It sounds like Abby might need some socialization skills.. Meaning, meeting new people, dogs, sounds, sights etc.. According to my shih-tzu's for dummies, by the time pups are 4 months old they should have been exposed to over 500 people, along with all sorts of sounds, places, and textures..This helps them become more confident and kinda start growing into their own person. Payslee bit the groomer when she was little too.. In fact she was a nightmare for ME to groom at that age, but I just had to keep doing it, and hold her where she could not bite at the comb, etc.. She would flail about, acting awful and squealing, but I just kept doing it till she realized that I was not giving up. When they are young they learn what works, what gets them attention (whether good or bad) and how they can "Win" thier battles.. so tell your friend to stay strong, and stick it out..It will pay off in the end.. :dede:

Darla- without anyone getting hurt, could you video tape the puppy so I can see if its fear aggression, or defense, or body territorial. Each has a different way of going about it..

I'll ask my sister if I can go with her and take a video. From what she's described, I really think it's fear aggression. Abby barks constantly at anyone she doesn't know and seriously growls and snaps if they try to approach her. She is not playing or mouthing - she is trying to bite. She has been taught 'no bite' and doesn't mouth any of us. She definitely didn't get enough socialization early enough. I've been telling my sister for a while that she needed to get her out, but she insisted she was meeting enough people at home. I explained to her that Abby needed to be out of her comfort zone at home and learn to meet strangers and other dogs. When all this happened she started trying to take her to the pet stores and the park, but the outings haven't been very successful. She took her to my nephew's football game and Abby caused such a commotion that after the game my nephew pretended like he didn't even know them! I don't think she's ready for so many people at once.

She finally enrolled Abby in puppy class, but it doesn't start for another month! She has to do something before then, although I do think the class will still be good for her. I told her what happens in the first 16 weeks is the most important and that she doesn't have time to wait to start doing something. She believes me now, but the problem has already escalated. She was practically in tears when she called me after the last incident, so it must have been pretty bad.