So here's the latest on Harley's jumping & weaving...

I built a hurdle from 3/4" PVC, the bars are set at 4" and 8" so far, resting on Tees with sections cut so they knock down easily. After a little practice, Harley's clearing the 8" bar with no trouble at all - when he doesn't just go around it. IMPRESSIVE, considering his height. Pretty soon he'll be doing dock dog competitions and challenging Brox for that 8'1" record...okay, maybe not quite. :blush-anim-cl:

I also built a set of 6 weave poles, the base is 3/4" PVC and the poles are 1/2", spaced 22" apart. I have to guide him carefully, either on lead or with a treat, but he gets it and weaves pretty well. I'm looking forward to seeing him weave without guidance, then we can work on speed! I mean, I know this kid can move when he feels like it, he's left me in the dust plenty of times.

I wish I had a video camera, I'd love to post a video of him running. Anyway, I'm looking forward to expanding my little backyard course. I think a dogwalk may be next. Just gotta figure out how to make it sturdy, yet collapsible.

I'll add some pictures shortly.

-m

CrazyTzuLady

That sounds awesome! Waiting for pictures............... :blush-anim-cl:

Okay, I was hoping to get a shot of Harley running, but he's being stubborn this morning. (A stubborn Tzu? Who'da thunk it?!?) Maybe later I can get him to go for it.

Anyway, here's the pieces I've built.

DSCN1937-1024x768.jpg

DSCN1938-1024x768.jpg

DSCN1939-1024x768.jpg

-m

CrazyTzuLady

Wow those are really good Mike! Great job!!!

MIke you are a building machine! Looks Great! I can't wait to see some pics and videos too! Yay Harley!

Ya know something. I have said it before many times and I will say it again..... I am amazed by how talented people are on this board!!!!

That is just awesome Mike! I can't wait to see Pics or Vids of Harley having fun on his little Agility Course! Awesome job!

Huh...I wouldn't have thought it a big deal. Dunno. Anyway, the designs are super simple, I could put together a photo-documentary and step-by-step directions if you're interested in making similar stuff. The hurdles are a bit more work because the bar supports need to be cut down, and there's a bit more measuring involved if you want regulation 4" height intervals, but the assembly is as easy as it gets.

-m

that's awesome you could build it all yourself though. i've been contemplating picking up a basic course but they can be pretty expensive. and i hope you can eventually get some pics of harley running and jumping for us all to see! :birthday_toast:

Okay, look for some jumping shots in the Photos section in just a few minutes...

I'll try to throw together a crash course on building the hurdle tomorrow, if I include the tools I've got maybe $30 into the hurdle and weave poles. You really could build this at your dining room table in an afternoon for a fraction of what this stuff sells for online.

-m

awesome, i will go check out the pics!

and yeah if you post instructions i will so try to build it. we have a HUGE back yard over here and oz always seems interested in checking out agility courses whenever we see one.

plus i'm outta work right now and i can use a project...i can turn into an agility course making machine!!! lol

(sorry i got a little too excited there)

Wicket's mom

Those are great Mike! I seen the pics of Harley, he's so cute and looks like he's just having a blast! I will be looking for your post tomorrow...and make hubby read it too :birthday_toast:

Yes, I would be VERY interested in the instructions....sorry, I mentioned that in the photo thread before I saw this one...so I will await instructions...thanks

Huh...I wouldn't have thought it a big deal. Dunno. Anyway, the designs are super simple, I could put together a photo-documentary and step-by-step directions if you're interested in making similar stuff. The hurdles are a bit more work because the bar supports need to be cut down, and there's a bit more measuring involved if you want regulation 4" height intervals, but the assembly is as easy as it gets.

-m

Seriously Mike if you had seen the mess myself and my Hubby made of a Water Bottle Stand you would understand why I'm impressed. It was fit for the trash after we finished it.

I would love to know how you made the jumps and poles although I don't think I would be brave enough to attempt it...and as for hubby hes useless! Give him a PC to take apart and play with and hes happy and can fix it. Give him some DIY to do and hes stumped. I think you did a great job!

Well, I was going to try to do the DIY instructions today, but it looks like it will have to be postponed slightly. I promise I will do it, but it's going to have to wait until some of the chaos around here dies down.

-m