DIY Instructions for Backyard Agility Hurdle

Read these directions entirely ~before~ starting, looking at the accompanying pictures. Click on the pictures for larger versions. Then read them again. Only after you are sure you understand are you to begin. Once a piece is cut, it cannot be uncut. Once a piece is glued, it cannot be unglued. Make sure your parts are lined up correctly before gluing! In fact, you may want to assemble the whole thing without glue at first to make sure it all fits right. Good luck!

Due to board constraints, this will be broken up into several posts. The directions are also viewable at:

http://www.csno.biz/puppy/DIY-Agility/Hurd...structions.html

Tools you will need:

Measuring tape and/or ruler

DSCN1970.JPG

Saw - I used a Marples Japanese pull saw, a hacksaw would work

DSCN1971.JPG

File - I used a single-cut/double-cut metal file that happened to be in my toolbox

DSCN1973.JPG

Sanding sponge - again, already in my toolbox, mine has coarse and fine sides

DSCN1972.JPG

Glue - there are various cements for PVC pipe, I used Oatey medium/orange CPVC Cement

DSCN1974.JPG

A miter box may help you make your cuts square, I didn't bother

Materials you will need:

3/4" PVC pipe - I bought mine in 10' lengths

DSCN1975.JPG

3/4" Tees - you will need 4 for the base, and 2 for each bar on your hurdle

DSCN1976.JPG

3/4" caps X 6 - more or less optional

DSCN1977.JPG

...to be continued...

Start by cutting your PVC into the required lengths. With each cut, I used the file and sanding sponge to clean up the edges and smooth them, inside and out.

I chose to make my hurdle 36" wide, based on the assumption that that's ample width for a small dog like a Shih Tzu. I believe most regulation Agility hurdles are 5' wide, likely to accommodate larger dogs. You will need one cross bar for the base, then one for each additional bar on the hurdle. That means I cut three lengths of 36".

DSCN1988.JPG

For the legs, I cut four lengths of 18" each.

DSCN1984.JPG

For close joints, I cut short pieces 1-3/8" long.

DSCN1980.JPG

To provide for 4" intervals on my bars, I cut pieces 2-7/8" long. This length may vary depending on the exact specifications of your Tees.

DSCN1981.JPG

Now we'll assemble the base. Glue a cap onto one end of each of the 18" legs.

DSCN1985.JPG

Glue the other ends into Tees so that you have two sets of legs with Tees in the middle. Using the 1-3/8" pieces, connect a second Tee to the sides, making sure that the side of the second Tee is vertical. I used a carpenter's square to check this, you can use anything fairly square. Add a 1-3/8" piece to the vertical side of the second square. You should now have something that resembles this:

DSCN1986.JPG

To build the supports, you'll need to cut the Tees so that your bars are easily knocked off. Cut from one end of the Tee into the side, then cut into the side toward the main body of the Tee. Again, clean up the cuts with the file and sanding sponge. You should wind up with something that looks like this:

DSCN1978.JPG

DSCN1979.JPG

You need two supports for each bar.

...to be continued...

Now we're ready to assemble the supports. I stopped at 8", although I haven't glued the tops on so I can increase to 12" whenever we're ready. For each side you'll need a support, a 2-7/8" piece, another support, a 1-3/8" piece, and a cap.

DSCN1982.JPG

Assembled, the supports should look like this:

DSCN1983.JPG

Connect the supports to the base sections:

DSCN1987.JPG

Use a 36" piece to connect the two sides of the base.

DSCN1990.JPG

Now you can rest the bars across the supports, and it should look like this:

DSCN1991.JPG

If it all looks right, fits right and you are satisfied with the heights of your bars, etc., you may begin gluing it all together, or at least as much as you want. I found that I can glue the legs and the supports, then the whole thing will tear down nicely to store in a duffel bag.

-m

BTW, the weave poles instructions will be next, but I won't make any promises as to ~when~ exactly. Tentatively, look for them over the weekend. Enjoy!!! It's not hard, I promise!

-m

• 3 weeks later...

Mike, thank you SO much for posting this with such great pics and instructions. When we have some time, I am gonna get the hubby on this cause I would love to train Maddy to do the weave and the jump...Josie too, but I somehow think Maddy would do it best, but I may be wrong. Can't wait for the other instructions too....thanks again.

Sorry so late for my thanks..

mr.coffee

D'OH!!!! Did I space the weave pole how-to? Drat....things have been non-stop chaos lately. Anyway, yeah, let me know how it works out! We haven't done as much jumping and weaving lately, just treks to the levee and running laps in the yard; but it's cooling off finally so we might be getting more motivated now.

-m

:flowers: :D