Socializing an older (almost 2) shih tzu

Lexi's Mom

Hi again!

Lexi's almost 2 years old. I've had her since she was 10 weeks. She's great - the best dog BY FAR that I have ever had. I've worked a lot with her at home, but I don't think I've done so well with the socialization part. She does go with me in the car and is wonderful! But, when we get to our destination (usually a relative's house) she gets very timid and she drools A LOT. She apparently also forgets that she is house broken and will pee and poo in the house. I think that's just nerves, but I'm not sure. One of the houses that I take her to has 2 dogs - a yorkie and a boxer. She does seem to enjoy playing with them, but it usually takes several hours before she warms up to them.

Is there a way to socialize her now? Should I enroll her in a class of some sort or is she too old? Is it too late?

I love taking her places with me and I hate to think that I will have to stop because she's miserable!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Edited by Lexi's Mom

I wish I had some advice. I got Gator at 1 yr old and he is kind of the same way. So far, I've focused on getting him used to the family but now that he's comfortable, I'd like to get him going more places with us. He always cries when I leave!!

tunisianswife

I'm fortunate enough to live in an urban area that is very dog-friendly so just walking my dogs, we meet up with folks and their dogs. that might be a good way. Have you ever considered doggy-day care maybe 4 hours 1 day a week to help? they usually do an evaluation first to make sure that they are ok to join in without problems.

*Ironically, I had a wonderful beagle when I was single and she was very much a couch potato home-body. She didn't like to go in the car and although she was the sweetest thing, she didn't like being out around alot of people she was so shy. When I got married and moved here, she seemed to blossom in her old age. She was the resident sidewalk greeter. She would walk up to people and greet them! I think she just got used to being around more people and actually was quite curious and enjoyed meeting them. She was about 12 when I moved here.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

The drooling & potty accidents are because Lexi is really nervous. It might be best to start by meeting other people & dogs outside, where accidents are no big deal.

What I wanted to add was how your attitude & expressions can help the situation. It's really important to be upbeat & positive. Don't coddle Lexi! Babytalk and the like can encourage dogs to be fearful, because they think you're telling them that there is something to be afraid of. Lexi will follow your lead. If you seem outgoing and happy to be meeting people & dogs, your pup will too!

It's OK if you're nervous about Lexi drooling & having an accident again. However, when you're about to meet someone new is NOT the time to let those feelings show! Remember to be upbeat & outgoing...fake it till you make it. :ohyeah:

It might take a little practicing & patience but it will be well worth it!

Let us know how it goes!

Kay

Kay gave you some great advice..We all have to remember that our dog-babes feel what we feel..so they will feel the nervous, scared, excited energy, if you are feeling that. Patricia McConnel offers some amazing advice in her book "The Other end of the Leash" and "For the love of dog".. I don't think its ever too late, or they are too old to go to classes. Sometimes its easier for them to learn when they have matured, and calmed down a bit, so thats a great idea. That way it will be a 'controlled' environment and you will both be more at ease. If you have a dog park near your house that has a big dog/small dog area, you could try the small dog area when only a few dogs are present and see how they act off leash, and let them play a bit..

Thank you for the advice!

I live in a small town, so puppy day-care is not available. Dog parks either. BUT, we do have some trainers around that offer classes, so I think I will try that and see how it goes. I'll keep you all updated!