anxiety while gone and crate accidents

ok, here's my issue.

hunter has no problem sleeping in his crate in my room at night. as far as i can tell he's housebroken (only a couple accidents when my parents were watching him).

so my problem is that when i go somewhere and have to put him in his crate for a few hours he barks, whines, gets all worked up, poops and then in his frantic thrashing, gets it all over himself and the cage.

so here's what i've tried.

playing opera all day and letting it play when i put him in his cage to go somewhere.

leaving the tv on with the cage in my room (this is how we sleep everynight, so i thought it would work)

tried a slightly larger cage and that seemed to help just a little.

put gates up at the kitchen doors and put him in there with his bed, water, and his favorite toy (no poop, but peed on the floor).

so, other than getting another dog, what are my options at this point?

Try a lavendar lemon air freshner. Lavendar is calming and lemon hides the smell of anxiety excreated from the anal sacs and glands. Also whatever music you leave on, have it on while you are in the house. Crate the dog while you are home a little bit until quiet/asleep for at least 20 minutes. Then when the dog hears the noise for all they know you are home. And the scents help alot.

ok, lavendar lemon air freshener and put him in his cage for about 20 minutes while i'm there. ok, sounds like a plan. i'm on it.

Yea then he hears the music knows you are in the house. You can even do this other times like uh cleaning house, play same music, in the crate.

Remember to have good play time- the crate means " nap time".

oh yeah, we definitely have good play time and i always take him out to potty before putting him in the crate.

i figured having the tv on would be similar to playing music since it's on all day anyway and i always fall asleep with it on and he's sleeping in the same room.

should i give him a chew toy too in his crate when i go out? i don't do that at night when we go to bed.

There you go- leave the tv on. As far as chew toys, only if you are postive the dog can not eat it or get off pieces. Its better if the dog thinks the crate is a nap time. ( ie time to relax and take a nap..) Make your leaving un announced.

ShihNanigans

Welcome to Chatter, Ian. And congratulations on Hunter. You are in for a real treat being a Tzu parent. I wrote this for another thread on crate training, but the advice applies to your question, so I'll just copy it and change she to he (sorry if I miss one!). I have four Tzu and they are all sucessfully crate trained.

Some tips that worked wonders for me...

-Put him in the crate about ten or fifteen minutes before you leave, and DON'T make a big deal about it. No high pitched, "be a good boy, Daddy loves you, I'll miss you!" None of that. Put him in and shut the door. Walk back and forth in front of him, gather your things, get a drink, whatever. This way your leaving is not traumatic, and he doesn't associate the crate with you leaving and promote separation anxiety. If you get anxious now, he will sense that, so don't. It's no big deal, no matter how much he fusses.

-Always have him walk in the crate by himself and give a treat EVERY time. A treat makes it a positive experience and he will learn that crate means treat.

-Call it something cute. For my dog growing up, we said house. For our dogs now, we call it their hut. "Time to go in your hut!" They go right in now and wait for their treat.

-Leave the radio on softly or the TV. Actually, ours know now when we turn the kitchen radio on, that it's time to go in the hut. It's amazing how often we turn around after the radio is on and they are sitting in the hut waiting for a treat.

-When you come home, just like when you leave, don't make a big deal. Put your keys down, unpack groceries, go to the bathroom, walk back and forth in front of him so he can see that you're home. Wait a few minutes before taking him out.

-Don't take him out of the crate if he's crying or fussing, only when he's calm. That way you don't teach him that having a fit will get him out of there. And again, don't do the "Daddy missed you! You want your Daddy?!? Good boy!!" silliness. Speak softly, say hello, just don't make a hyper deal out of it.

-Never use it for discipline. Keep it a positive place for Hunter and he will want to be in there.

-Be patient, and don't give up. Remember, he is still little and adjusting to his new home. He will get it.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!