Just wondering...

Hi guys!

I've been wondering why Lullaby will sometimes go in her kennel (without being asked to go in by anyone) and start digging/scratching at the floor & walls? If she wants out, why doesn't she just walk out the door? Does anyone else have a dog that does this? At night, when she's kenneled up and the door is locked, she just sleeps quietly.

I guess it's not that much of a problem (at least she's not digging at the real furniture!). I'm just wondering why!

Thanks!

Kay

Mine sometimes dig around if there are blankets in there..Its like they are making a little nest in there with their blankets and getting them exactly like they want..Or sometimes Sawyer will leave a treat in there, and I will catch him digging in there for that, so maybe she has a little leftover snack or something? Just a throught..

Well it could be that since the door is open, ie not in the proper position, ie might suddenly shut, is why. Like at attempt to close it.

Mine do it as well, on their beds. Mitsi will do it while laying on her side and reaching for a toy, sort of, I think it's just some weird little quirk they have LOL

mr.coffee

Oh, y'all aught to see Harley go, he'll get in his Pet Taxi with nothing in it and just start digging away like there's steak on the other side or something. I've always just attributed it to instinctive behaviors like trampling to clear bugs, snakes or rats from the bed or digging to overturn cool earth...

-m

In reading the replies this morning, my husband read some of it and said " it reminds me of Femka- how she would dig her blankets so we would get up and " fix it for her" type thing.. Hmmmm

ShihtzuBeauty

LOL mine used to do it on their beds but we can't have any 'cause JoJo keeps peeing/marking all of them. :D They do it in my bed and on the furniture which I'm detering them from I don't want them tearing the furniture I don't care if they dig to China in my bed though. :) It's soo funny they will practically lay on the top of their heads while they are doingit.

Wicket's mom

Wicket digs at everything. Before laying down on any type of surface he digs...on his bed and blankets to get them in just the right spot, but he also does it on the sofa, chairs, floor...I think he's trying to do the same thing but is not quite as successful lol. He also digs to try to bury his toys and bones (again sometimes on the ceramic floor etc...I don't think he's figured out that he can't dig there yet :D) Gucci digs before laying down as well, but usually only digs on soft surfaces.

CrazyTzuLady

Oh yeah all four of mine dig to china! LOL It is funny to watch them.