Hi All,

I need some help!

Koopa will not stop barking :mf_seehearspeak: every time we leave the house i guess he goes on a barking rampage!

Our neighbor left us a note letting us know nicely about the dog barking a lot lately, im not sure if she has finally gotten sick of it or if he has recently started doing it. I have no idea what to do, we'll lock him up either in our bedroom or dining/kitchen with a gate so he has room to do whatever, but i guess he just barks,today i walked up to my walkway and heard him barking but as soon as i walked in he stoped.What can i do? i dont wanna get kicked out and make my neighbors angry and also have to feel like i have to stay home.

thanks!

-A

FairyTail Josette

I would leave my tv or radio on at a low to medium volume and leave some toys, such as a Kong, where you put treats inside the toy or object. It's a distraction method to keep him busy for awhile, while you're gone. You can pick up kongs or similar toys at Petco or Petsmart. Also, leave some chew bones for him, such as bully sticks or tendons, to relieve his boredom. A friend of mine always puts a little peanut butter on his bone, as, she walks out the door. I'm not sure what you're schedule is, but, going for a morning walk and at lunch time will be good for him and make him tired, so, he will rest more while you're away. Just a few suggestions off the top of my head, good luck. :D

Mine don't love the Kongs, but they do love the Chicken jerkey..So I give them one before I leave the house, and I always leave without making a big production of it..Just quietly sneek out, and then when I come in, I acknowledge them, but no high-pitched talking, or gooshy talk till after they calm down..This is supposed to help combat separation anxiety. I try to get mine to the point to where they look forward to me leaving because they get yummy treats! He also may be seeing something out the window, or hearing stuff outside..Would it be possible to put him somewhere that he can't see or hear much from outside? That might help..

Hum, sounds like you have good neighbors....it was so nice of them to let you know in a kind way, rather than a complaint to the landlord. Are you gone for long periods of time? If so, I would try leaving him for shorter times and when you return don't make a fuss and treat him when he is calm. Do this off and on to let him know you WILL be back, gradually extend the time you are gone and see if that along with all the other suggestions might help. Good Luck...

Thank you all! That was very nice. BUT! haha

We leave the tv on, he has all his toys with him, everything! When we leave him in the dining room we give him a treat but he won’t touch it, and I’ve notified he wont eat it till we get home (weird, right?). When he does stay in our room the rabbits are there so he has some type of company, the windows are high so he can’t see anything. We don’t have any neighbors next to us since we have the biggest floor plan and its by itself on the first floor. The nice neighbor who told me about him barking is towards the dining room area and she’s pretty quite, the patio is close so he might be able to hear people walking on the sidewalk and what not but he cant see anything. And when he stays in our room the neighbors upstairs are SUPER loud and have like 4 kids that are crazy but he's used to it and they haven’t said anything, so I have no idea in the time we used to leave him there if he barked or not (they cant really say anything anyways haha)

My work schedule is a 8 to 5 kinda job, but my boyfriend works from home so he’s there all day. He'll go out to the bank or do errands, meetings, etc. So he's left for small amounts of time not all day where I would understand if he got depressed and anxious. I know in beginning when we first got him he would bark but got used to it, and now all of a sudden it has started again 

My vet suggested a bark collar not sure how I feel about that, I wouldn’t wanna be shocked ever time I had something to say! But I don’t know what to do anymore. It making me sad!

I always leave the tv on or radio for the furkids and the lights on, I am sure that will help a little. I know it is harder for them to accept our absence if we were on vacation for a while so it takes a little to get used to it again.

fannynoellllll.jpg

Ale, are you sure he does this every time your boyfriend leaves, or maybe it was just this once the lady heard him? If it is only once in awhile, then I wouldn't be concerned, something just sparked him....hopefully it is not an ALL the time when he is left alone.

I have ALWAYS told mine to 'guard the house', which means they are not going and they know it.

Rally is like your baby..I can offer him a giant side of steak, and he WILL NOT eat it if he knows I'm leaving. He could care less..He will eat it the second I come back, but not until. He also cries, whines, and barks while I'm gone..(NOT all the time, but I have a webcam on them so I can hear when he is crying)..It sounds like you are dealing with the onset of Separation Anxiety, and trust me, you want to get this handled while he is little as opposed to dealing with it like I am now..Rally will knock down the baby-gate to the kitchen, he's eaten a door before, he will crawl over gates, through wire, etc.. he's a HUGE pain about this..lol.

Is Koopa crate-trained at all? I started off with Pays & Saw by putting them in the crate and leaving for an hour, then coming back..then 2 hours..etc.. Find something that he LOVES, it has to be a very high-value treat and when you put him in the crate offer him the treat (don't close the door until he gets kinda used to it) and then try that process.. I got out of the habit of crating Rally and thats when his separation anxiety went to a new level. He has the babes here to keep him company, the radio on, treats, etc.. and None of it phases him, he still cries and whines, no matter what, so I really wish I would have gotten him out of it earlier.. I'll try to keep offering suggestions until we find something that works..hang in there!