How well is your dog trained

bengietheshihtzu

I'm just curious to what lengths other owners have trained their tzu's. I do under stand they are a stubborn breed and am quite content if my little guy doesn't advance any further in his training. However, his basic commands (primarily sit and come) can be hit or miss, he always acknowledges a command with a look but will sometimes just choose to ignore them or will reluctantly oblige with a look of OK but i really don't want to.

Do you think this needs addressed or is this common with the breed. I'm primarily used to larger breed dogs where a command is immediately followed and with some enthusiasm. I have tried reinforcement training with treats but he gets so excited for a treat that i'm not sure if he is comprehending the whole part of the training. He is not currently fixed but is scheduled, do you think that this may also help in his obedience?

MisterMom

My dogs have trained me well. I know lots of commands.

Let's see. My dogs come immediately when they hear their dishes clanking.

They sit when told, if they felt like sitting to start with.

Dhani will dance for a treat.

So will Zinnia.

So far all but one can take a treat without damaging my fingers.

I wouldn't say they are stubborn, I would say that they disdain being trained and think it's demeaning. Unless a delicious treat is involved. Then they might make a compromise.

Let's see. My dogs come immediately when they hear their dishes clanking.

They sit when told, if they felt like sitting to start with.

Dhani will dance for a treat.

So will Zinnia.

So far all but one can take a treat without damaging my fingers.

I wouldn't say they are stubborn, I would say that they disdain being trained and think it's demeaning. Unless a delicious treat is involved. Then they might make a compromise.

LOL! Yup, that about sums up our pups too!

My dogs have trained me well. I know lots of commands.

OK, this made me LOL!!! I feel the same way!

I've taught mine a few basic commands but they've taught me very advanced ones :).

All of the above posts apply to my two. Penny thinks everything is a game & will jump in & try to do anything you tell her,but she has a short attention span & you only have about two minutes to teach her anything ,then she's off somewhere else,Paddington will do it when he feels like it ,in his time & if there's food involved.On the whole they are both a joy to me,in their own little way,

CrazyTzuLady

Unfortunately I have to agree..........mine have me trained very well! :)

Yes, I'm very well trained too. I fall for those little begging eyes when food's involved, I pick up the toys just so Jasmine can clean out the toy box again and other neat stuff like that. Jasmine knows sit, lie down and was learning shake. Chase wouldn't even sit, not for anything. He just keeps backing up. None of the tricks work to make him sit. So I gave up. :) They are all well behaved (most of the time) and I'd rather have them trained more for real life stuff, like don't bolt out the door when it gets opened.

Edited by bluesy

Gizmo will only ever respond to commands for a treat. It is non negotiable :bye1:

Let see they Know Sit,stay, drop (which means stop, down and stay ) they know leave it, role over, shake, crawl, dance and they are learning more ever month when I can teach them new one, but we work on the ones they know daily.

This made me laugh!! Tonka will sit before I give him his food but I haven't really started on manners yet. I do have a treat he REALLY likes so maybe there is hope!! Sounds like I better get started NOW!!

Every one of mine (2 Tzu, 2 mutts) hit the ground when I say "DOWN!". That one command is absolutely non-negotiable and they know it.

All will sit on command if we are in the house. If we are out in the yard or on a walk, Gus will sit; Katy will probably sit; Jack probably won't sit; and Ozzie is probably trying to run down a pigeon or something (running in place since I don't budge and I have the lead). Of course, we haven't had Oz long so I am still working with him.

Gus comes when called and walks nicely on lead. He also lays down for brushing and turns from side to back to side to tummy and puts his head on a chin pillow to have his topknot done when asked. He stands like a statue on command.

Katy will stand still for brushing but will only lay down reluctantly. She walks fine on lead if she's with Gus, otherwise she pulls to keep up with the bigger dogs. "Stand" gets about 50% compliance.

Jack understands the word "cookie" but ignores most requests that don't involve food. He will come when called if he thinks there might be something in it for him, but if there's a squirrel up a tree in the backyard...fugedaboudit.

Ozzie is working on "Off", as he likes to jump up on everyone and love on them. There is hope. I haven't really done much recall training with him yet because of all the hubbub surrounding the holidays but he's smart enough I think he'll figure it out reasonably quickly.

Oddly enough, the obey factor seems to be directly related to how old each dog was when we got them: Gus, 8 weeks; Katy, 10 months; Jack, 1 year; Ozzie, 6 months.

Miley does Sit, Lay down, And Up.

Up is just her standing on her hind legs and putting her front ones as high as she can.

Shes learning to dance. which is when shes up she spins in a circle.

Shes lost when it comes to the words " come here" Not gonna happen. theres no hope in that command.

But she does know "get out/down" (usually when shes on my bed)

If shes getting too rough with my moms collie (yes a much larger dog) or if shes doing something shes not supposed to she will listen to the word "Stop" and "No"

She stops licking at the word No.

And She of course knows Bad girl and Good girl.

Well, I can CERTAINLY relate to "being trained" by my pups....I adore them and guess some of that comes naturally.

Josie knows aLOT of tricks and commands, but probably the one we struggle with the most is "come"....but we are working on it all the time. She will usually come, but not always on the first request and treats don't necessarily matter, she will take them or often leave them....has to be VERY high value and of course, she has to know that in the beginning....so then, what's the use...she is NOT coming to me, she is coming to the goodies...LOL

Maddy knows quite a few also, but has never had any formal training...he too questions whether or not he "wants" to come...if I have a treat, he is there in 2 seconds...

Rudy already knows sit by command and is working on down, but that is a little harder so far, but he will get it. He is such a smart boy....he now whines at the back door when he needs to poo....UNLESS I take him before he gets the chance.

If you are having problems, I firmly believe you can't go wrong having a basic obedience class...I think it just helps you to know what to do and what to expect.

Mine will sit, stay, lie down

Come when they want to, Molly will do anything for a biscuit but Mitsi is to high and mighty to fall for that trick.

I too am very well trained........although hubby doesn't agree LOL

kcsheperd

Payslee, Saw & I have went through several classes because they are both Certified Therapy Dogs. We had to go through the Basic Obedience, and the Therapy Dog Class. So they know all the basic commands, and they also know how to have manners. Its very important that they don't jump up on people, or bark, so we learned that early on too, because at the assisted living center, or hospitals barking would be unacceptable. The one command that I am the proudest of is "COME" They can be off way far in the distance, and If I say "COME" they stop whatever they are doing and run to me..I think this one is so important because there are so many things they can get into, and you always want them to come to you if asked. I also taught them both "Watch me" at a very early age, so if they are doing something that I dont like, and I ask them to 'watch me' they will usually stop it 90% of the time. I had fun going to the classes though, its a great way to meet new dog lovers, and socalize your pups with other well-behaved dogs.

Kimi_Coconuts

Shadow is stubborn as the breed can be but we have managed some of the basic commands. He will sit, stay and go down. Our favorite is shake, it is very cute when he puts his paw up. He is 1.5 yrs and seems to be learning the commands quickly now.

Wicket's mom

Wicket is actually very smart, when I teach something to my gang he's usually the first one to catch on. He will sit, stand, lay down, dance, drop it, "drop dead" and play dead, give paw, other one, high five, walk around me in a circle and stop sitting in front of me when told "circle", walk properly on his leash and sit automatically when we stop, sit up from a laying position, come...that's all I can think of for the moment.

He will do absolutely anything for a treat and listens very well when he is on a leash indoors without treats (we did basic obedience training in the middle of winter when it was around -30 everyday so we practiced mostly indoors) If he is off-leash indoors he listens to most commands when he feels like it, on-leash outside he will sit on command but that's about it, anything else he might do reluctantly if I can get his attention long enough, I have a very hard time getting his attention outdoors..and outside, off-leash...forget about it! Thank goodness we now have a fence!

loewenthal.anna

Lolly must be a freak in the breed, she's EXTREMELY obedient, although to be fair housebreaking was a totally different thing.

She knows sit, stay, down, down/stay, leave it, quiet, "with me" (which is our heel), "give kissies" or "can I have a kissy", and how to high five. We went in to get her Therapy certified without having practiced or even knowing the commands that would be given and she did great save for the down/stay while I walk away AND walk back to her (she's never been asked to stay laying down while I'm walking toward her, but she got it one the 3rd try)

Oh, and she knows all of those commands in Spanish, thanks to the men I/we used to work with. She gives special attention to anyone who greets her with: "Ven aquí mami, Bésame!" hehe. She enjoys being cooed at in Spanish more than English too, I almost named her Mami Chula because of it.

ON THE OTHER HAND. . . Cash Money knows how to sit. Sometimes. and he'll high five (all 3 dogs know that one). . . he gives kissies too, but you only need put your face near his to illicit this response. He also seems to hold some degree of disdain for the Spanish language. . . he'll walk away and pout when Lolly shows of her bi lingual skills.

If he is off-leash indoors he listens to most commands when he feels like it, on-leash outside he will sit on command but that's about it, anything else he might do reluctantly if I can get his attention long enough, I have a very hard time getting his attention outdoors..and outside, off-leash...forget about it! Thank goodness we now have a fence!

This just reminded me of my BIG TRICK to get Lolly to follow me outside (which she too is horrible at). . . maybe it's a little mean, but it's SOOO effective!

If she runs off I just say "Bye Lolly!" and start walking where I want to go, she'll panic and come charging after me. :chickendance: