I'm back after a long absence!

Hello everyone!! I know its been awhile since I've been on here. I was in a car accident in November. An elderly woman ran a stop sign, flipped my car and I skid 300 feet upside down on a State highway!! What a nightmare! Thank god the two semi's coming were far enough away that they could stop! Whew! My grandson and I escaped with minimal injuries and therapy corrected them. Anyways, my little Oreo has started pooping in the house when I'm gone. I take him out before I leave, am not gone long, and its still happens. I've always given him treats when he goes outside and he knows that he gets one when he goes, so why is this happening now?? I'm at wits end. Please help!!

Welcome back! I'm glad you are okay now!

I have the same problem with my Miley. she will poop outside for me anytime! but if she has to go and i'm not around, she'll go on the floor! but she knows its bad!

my guesstament is that she just cant hold it the way she can Pee.

So nice to have you back! I'm happy to hear you and your grandson are fine after your accident.

Has anything changed as far as Oreo's surroundings or schedule? Often when this sort of "backsliding" occurs you need to go back to step one of potty-training and do it all over again (it's like getting the first kid potty-trained just before the new baby arrives, lol). Fortunately, it tends to go a little faster the second time!

CrazyTzuLady

Good to have you back! :rolleyes: I am so glad to hear you and your grandson are ok after your car accident. Sounds like you might have to start at the basics again with Oreo. Hang in there he will get it.

ShihtzuBeauty

How scarry thank God you both are ok it's nice to have ya back. :rolleyes:

Oh my....horrible about the accident, and thank God you are both alright. That sounds so scary.

I wonder if Oreo has felt some stress himself, knowing what you have been through. I agree, step back to house training 101 and just give him loads of reassurance. I am sure he was pretty scared too and I know they sense our uneasy feelings. So, hopefully, he will be fine in no time.

Glad to have you back, keep us posted.

Goodness! I am so glad you are both OK. Awful!

I am sure Oreo knows things were different with you. Start over like he is a baby and retrain him. I bet he will be fine soon. Praise and treats. I think time and you feeling better will help him. He may just be afraid. Be patient. You had to heal and he may have to also.

bear.gif

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your accident..But Very glad to hear that you both are okay..As for the Pottytraining..I am a big believer in exercise. It stimulates the bowels and literally walks the crap right out of them! lol.. So you might try a few little walks around the neighborhood to see if that helps..Also a very good schedule helps out immensely! Schedule food times/play times/walk..etc..If you can 'schedule' when they are going to go each day, then you can make sure he is outside during that time, and you won't have to worry about it once he comes back inside..

I also am a believer in walking to get their bowels moving.I notice a big difference in the winter when weather is a factor in whether we walk or not.Penny has a few accidents in the pooping department .She'll go out on in the pen to play,but more often or not she'll come right in & poop on her pee pad.If we go for a walk she will have done her business by the time we get home.

I agree, Oreo could be feeling my stress. He seems to be always attached to me. LOL. Oreo knows that when he goes in the house, its not a good thing. When I get home, and if he went in the house, he'll hide under the table. That tells me to go looking!! Ahhhhh!! When I take him out and only if he goes outside, does he get a treat. If he doesn't go, he doesn't get one. Simple as that.

Thank you all for your advice and well wishes!! :signthankspin:

Let me know if you have any more ideas!! I appreciate every one of them.

P.S. Would putting him in his crate when I leave help?

I also am a believer in walking to get their bowels moving.I notice a big difference in the winter when weather is a factor in whether we walk or not.Penny has a few accidents in the pooping department .She'll go out on in the pen to play,but more often or not she'll come right in & poop on her pee pad.If we go for a walk she will have done her business by the time we get home.

You may be on to something here. Oreo hates going outside when its wet outside, and wet it has been. I've even tried shoveling him a spot in the snow but he still hates it!!