Potty Training an Adult Dogs

maamaakrystal

Looking for ideas and/or just support. My adopted neutered male shih tzu (16 months old now ,got him in Nov) was doing so well for several weeks with going outside although I did have to take him out 5-6x/day until we got our big winter storm a couple weeks ago. I couldn't take him out as often (couldn't dig out fast enough) and he started going in the house again and I don't think I noticed right away. It seems to be in the same carpeted spot. Pulling my hair out and keeping him on a leash or in the crate again. We've started all over. I also can't figure out his cues that he needs to go out. Even tried to teach him to ring a bell.

Claudiabehr

One of the things I would strongly suggest is to treat the area he's peed in with an enzyme treatment. It really works well and will help him not to return to the spot. And probably he's going to take up where he left off when it warms up a little. But giving a lot of tasty rewards when he does his pee and poop outside I believe is very memorable for doggies and I would try that. I do it with Panda and she's been trained for months now. Even when we go for walks, to help her stop pulling, I bring little pieces of apple, so she watches me to see when she's going to get a goodie and forgets to pull. I would give a treat and do the "yayyyyyyy" thing bigtime.

Also, I'm feeling your pain.....................when Panda was peeing inside because I couldn't read her signs (and sometimes even now, I can't), I was going crazy as I just can't stand the idea of dog or cat pee in my home. Think ahead......this will come to an end......as I tell Panda when she won't give up a toy "You can do it....I know you can."

You are right to back to square ONE....start as if he were a new puppy....be it the crate or leash....I would stick with the bell too....just EVERY time you take him or let him out the door, BEFORE you open it, take his paw and ring the bell and very excitedly...say, wanna go outside (or whatever you say)...he will get the hang of it, just DON'T stop.

ETA: Meant to say GOOD LUCK...

Edited by tzuhouse